Peavey Valve King Head

Okay, I'm an amp noob ... need of a decent, loud amp (playing for crowds of 400-600) and someone advised my friend (in similar situation as me) this amp. This is the most expensive I will stretch for the head, as I still have to purschase the cabinet.

My influences are mainly punk, pop-punk and heavy metal based. I also use pedals...

Cheers
ValveKing Thread!

But for the record, the Valveking won't do metal without modifications. And some of those cost money. It's all listed in the thread.
Valveking is very versitle, and i have gotten great metal tones out of this amp
Quote by bartdevil_metal
ValveKing Thread!

But for the record, the Valveking won't do metal without modifications. And some of those cost money. It's all listed in the thread.

ah, forgot about searchbar will check
the valveking isnt the best you could do in the price range, but at least your on the right track (not bad for a jan-09er ) get a b-52 AT-100 head, should be much better for a punk or metal sound than the VK will ever be, even if modded to hell

Quote by camhussynec
if ur playin punk. ummmmmmm i would still go with either marshall or line 6

there arent any good marshalls in his range, and i dont think he wants a modeling amp
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
the valveking isnt the best you could do in the price range, but at least your on the right track (not bad for a jan-09er ) get a b-52 AT-100 head, should be much better for a punk or metal sound than the VK will ever be, even if modded to hell

there arent any good marshalls in his range, and i dont think he wants a modeling amp

nah, i dont want a modelling XD more of ... tubes!!!
^The B52 AT is all tube, and a pretty decent sounding amp as well. Are you willing to look into used gear? If so you should look into a 5150/6505 combo or a Triple xxx/jsx combo. Any of these amps will be plenty loud and will be much better than the VK and the B52. Used gear is the way to go to get the most for your money, and if you hold out ussually you can find something that is basically brand new that has sit at home its whole life, or was not the orignal owners cup of tea. Good luck, oh another good option would be a JCM 900.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by Johnbryant
^The B52 AT is all tube, and a pretty decent sounding amp as well. Are you willing to look into used gear? If so you should look into a 5150/6505 combo or a Triple xxx/jsx combo. Any of these amps will be plenty loud and will be much better than the VK and the B52. Used gear is the way to go to get the most for your money, and if you hold out ussually you can find something that is basically brand new that has sit at home its whole life, or was not the orignal owners cup of tea. Good luck, oh another good option would be a JCM 900.

where can i get a b52? i've been looking all over internet ... cant find one
i say look into a C30 instead.

Put a OD infront of it and maybe get a DS for the clean side of the amp and your set.

The other amps are obsolete, B-52's are to noisy and valvekings just have horrible DS atleast to my ears.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
should be much better for a punk or metal sound than the VK will ever be, even if modded to hell

Absolutely not;
The Valveking's biggest problem, ad the one that turns most people against it once they've tried it, is the stock speakers, which are some of the worst speakers I've ever heard. Change them and the VK easily holds its ground against a Bugera or B-52.

That said, buying anything with intent to mod when you could get the same kind of thing without mods for the same price is moronic if you've done your research, unless of course you're practising your mods, but if you are you don't need a £250 amp.

So I say look into Bugera. They're a bit unreliable but sound great right out of the box.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I thought he was talking about a VK head only? In which case he can pick and choose whatever cab he wants.

The VK112 combo - would be $465 total if you threw in a Warehouse Vet30 clone.

just sayin'

yes, i was only talking about the head XD ...
Quote by SkinnyVampire
nah, i dont want a modelling XD more of ... tubes!!!

Sure. If you want mediocre tone, go blindly to tubes.
And for the record, the B-52 isn't a modeller.

I'd recommend the Windsor over the Valveking, especially for punk.
Last edited by Horlicks at Jan 19, 2009,
Quote by Horlicks
Sure. If you want mediocre tone, go blindly to tubes.
And for the record, the B-52 isn't a modeller.

I'd recommend the Windsor over the Valveking, especially for punk.

yes, i do love the windsor ... but the non-clean option kind of makes that irrection go down
You can get a clean tone out of the Windsor at low volumes if you fiddle around with the EQ.

Seriously though, how important is the clean for punk, pop punk and metal? Because the Windsor, if I'm not mistaken, is on sale at GC right now for $400 in 100w stack form. For what you say you want, it'd be perfect.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
You can get a clean tone out of the Windsor at low volumes if you fiddle around with the EQ.

Seriously though, how important is the clean for punk, pop punk and metal? Because the Windsor, if I'm not mistaken, is on sale at GC right now for $400 in 100w stack form. For what you say you want, it'd be perfect.

The Windsor is a pretty decent amp, but NOT for pop punk, maybe just punk, my freind bought it THE DAY it went on sale for $400 and we dont like it because it absolutley will not play clean. Alot of pop punk has some clean melodies (blink 182's whats my age again, sum 41's in too deep) that you will not get with it, no matter how much we tried. But, the AT100 i tried and bought at guitarcenter is awesome clean, all you need is an overdrive/distortion pedal, woohaaaaa!
poop. funniest word ever.
try and get a triple x head
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
i run a zoom multi effects through my valveking on the clean channel and i can play any metal i want and it sounds great... and when i say this i mean it can do any metal if you tweak it right.. i was playing carcass yesterday on it without a problem
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
vk gas great cleans if you know how to tweak your sound
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club