Alright guys, I need some help/advice as a drummer.

First off I have an Epiphone SG Special and while I don't mind the guitar itself I feel it could be helped aesthetically. My headstock is cracked quite badly (mum dropped it by accident) and as it's growing I felt like a new neck was in order.

The one I have is a bolt on, maple neck (nut width: 1.68", dunno if that makes a difference) and basically need a relatively cheap tele style neck (different I know but I want to go for something odd) that will fit on easily, no questions asked.

Would this be any use?

Secondly and more importantly I would love to change the boring finish (red) into something similar to the pink paisley telecaster or the blue flower one if possible.

Now I couldn't think of how to go about this, I was beginning to think it was almost impossible but then it struck me...and I googled furiously for something and I happened upon this.

Joy of joys, find the material I want (whatever I want, no limits) apply it then coat it. I have the tutorial here but I was wondering how difficult this would be for someone who has never modified a guitar before? And could anyone point to another tutorial? That one's good but it's a little vague.

Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
The scale length and neck radius will be different, so it's not going to work properly.

EDIT: Apparently the radius is 12", strange. If the scale length for those 22 frets is 24 3/4" then you might be okay.
Last edited by Camm at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by Camm
The scale length and neck radius will be different, so it's not going to work properly.

Ahh that's what I was thinking, I know i was sort of a stupid question but I had to know if it was do-able.

edit: Really? I could email the guy and ask about the scale length I suppose, or is there an easier way of finding out?

RMF

Last edited by Mr. La Fritz at Jan 14, 2009,
Yes, there is a very easy way of finding out.

It's a tele neck, it has a 25.5 inch scale.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
Yes, there is a very easy way of finding out.

It's a tele neck, it has a 25.5 inch scale.

So it wouldn't fit?

And does anyone have anything to help with the refinishing project? Just wondering how hard it could be or how much it would cost...

RMF

It's not hard to refinish, there's another thread on refinishing as well on PG, that'll get you to the point of applying your material and clearcoating that.

You could always move your bridge to compensate for a 25.5" scale, or you could ask one of the fine luthiers on here to make you a neck!
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
It's not hard to refinish, there's another thread on refinishing as well on PG, that'll get you to the point of applying your material and clearcoating that.

You could always move your bridge to compensate for a 25.5" scale, or you could ask one of the fine luthiers on here to make you a neck!

Just move them 3/4" back? I suppose I could...

What are the names of the fine luthiers on this site? Maybe I could PM them, tell them what I want and try to arrange something.

Turns out finding a neck is more difficult than sorting out the finish.

RMF

Myself, 420 FREAK, LP Addict, and Nuthinbutrubl8 would all make you a neck, with the latter 3 being more experienced.

Try PMing them for more info.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
Ahh that's what I was thinking, I know i was sort of a stupid question but I had to know if it was do-able.

Stupid questions arent nearly as common as stupid answers. Like if I asked you what 2+2 is and you said 'not 25'
If you move your bridge back you'll change the sound of the guitar. Especially the bridge pickup will change radically.
move the neck instead.
you'll either need to route the neck pocket closer to the bridge, or put the neck in and add shims, but like otter or someone said, get a luthier off UG to make you a neck