I've been in a metal/hardcore band before and we played plenty of shows. We weren't bad at all and we had decent music for what we wrote and people liked us. I'm now starting a new band and everyone is expecting me to do the main part of the writing. I can write decent material but I want to learn some basic theory. I really don't know much about theory at all so any help would be great and I'm a fast a learner.

Oh yeah, we play in drop C if that helps at all.
Hey man check this link out.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/home/contributions/search.php?JoshUrban&filter=columns

Read the Crusade articles they are good for theory. Also Complete Idiots Guide to Music Theory is a good book and you can get it relatively cheap off Amazon.com.
Learn how to read music, then learn scales. Minor will probably be what you want to use. You can't really do anything else before that
You don't need theory to write good songs, but it's a good thing to know just to know - it'll also help you out when jamming if you don't have a good ear.

That aside, the Crusade articles mentioned above are a great place to start learning it if you want to.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quick replys. Thanks, I'll be sure to read the Crusade Articles.

I have a quick question as dumb as it may sound. Since I do play in drop C does that mean I should stick to the key of C? And would that be major or minor?
no reason to keep to the key of C.. you probably wouldnt be using major stuff in metal or whatever.. but if ur playing in C minor in drop C its pretty nice... you dont even have to play in key at all honestly
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
Quote by mosh_face
no reason to keep to the key of C.. you probably wouldnt be using major stuff in metal or whatever.. but if ur playing in C minor in drop C its pretty nice... you dont even have to play in key at all honestly

Har, this is metal, not noise music. Don't be ridiculous

PROTIP: Play in a key.
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
You're playing in a Key weather or not you're aware of it

I disagree with this. Most of the world's music, for most of history and still today, is not key based.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
I disagree with this. Most of the world's music, for most of history and still today, is not key based.
You're not talking about modern western music though, are you?
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
You're not talking about modern western music though, are you?

No, but the assertion that "you're playing in a key whether you know it or not" is still inaccurate, since tonal harmony is a fairly recent invention largely exclusive to Western music.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
since tonal harmony is a fairly recent invention largely exclusive to Western music.

that's a bit rich