What order do people reckon is the best if you are playing all the tracks yourself? Bass, then rhythm then lead? L/R/B? What do you think?
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
Quote by DarkTom666
Drums then Bass then Rythms then Leads.

this

ive always wondered if people record vocals last, even after solos?
Top lel.
Don't have drums unfortunately and haven't figured out how to use software yet
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

If you dont have drums, then put a metronome on. then bass, rythm, lead, vocals.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by the memory
this

ive always wondered if people record vocals last, even after solos?

In my experience the vocals have always been the final thing
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Some bands operate differently, but the standard recording procedure is Drums, Bass, Rhythm guitar, Vocals, solos (though the last 2 are somewhat interchangeable)
Quote by metaldud536
Yes. When the shield generator on Endor has been deactivated, Rogue Squadron is easily able to enter the Death Star II without repurcussions.

...And that's how menstruation works.
Yea memory, I did vocals last...but if you're doing programmed drums then they'll be in time, so the biggest issue (rhythm) is negated. So, that said, bass, rhythm, lead.
Basically bottom end first then. Thank you. I'm new to this whole recording lark and I'm trying to get some half decent results.

Last edited by RubberSoul54321 at Jan 14, 2009,
we always do metrenome, drums, rhythym guitar, bass, lead guitar(solo or whatever), lead vocals, gang vocals, other crap.

It tends to work out.

Reasoning behind doing the rhythym guitar before bass is that I don't play straight 8th root notes. lol. order depends on what your doing really. though truth be told after you have down the drums, your really free to do whatever you want next. I wouldnt do anything besides drums first simply because it provides the grove. though a met. will work.

-Ryan
In studios it's usually a metronome in the back, then a scratch clean guitar is recorded. Following that is drums, then bass, then stereo tracked guitars, then vocals, then all the aesthetics.
It's always made sense to me to record Drums first (Played to a metronome, ofcourse. Or a plugin such as EZDrummer in the case of my home recordings), then followed by either the bass or rhythm guitars, vocals and then do all the the leads last.

Although I have done leads and then vocals sometimes, just depends what I can be bothered to do when or the amount of time I have.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
^^Cheers man, those are excellent links. I shall get to work!