Finally gonna purchase a new amp now, been pushing this back for ages (new bass, bass amp.... other things. It's been too long!).

How do each of these compare? I play a wide range of music, indie, rock, heavy metal (from thrash to de br00talz) and some mellow jazzy stuff. My budget is roughly £500 but I can boost it up if I really need to and if you can suggest me something otherwise.

I've tried out the JVM combo with a single 12" speaker which seemed very good; however had a crazy mids punch Marshall style tone about it which I'm not too fond of. On the other hand, it had plenty of gain to work with, nice sound to boot (if I EQ it carefully) and seemed flexible enough. Are these reliable amps? Any horror stories with these?

The ENGL Screamer 50 combo I tried out was pretty awesome. However, I didn't get a chance to crank it out. Seemed insanely versatile and I like the style of the amp. Huge range of tones and such a smooth gain sound. However, I can never find this amp second hand for too long as someone always snaps it up before I do and I'm getting too frustrated waiting for another one! Should I wait for one of these combos to pop up on eBay or get one of the other amps?

Right. The Laney VC50. I've not tried this one out; but I intend to search for one in town to try. I've heard this is actually a combo version of the VH100R head; is this true? After viewing a few soundclips (which isn't a great test of the amp), it seems like it could fit for me and has enough gain for me to work with. How do these sound? This may be an unfair comparison but I've tried out the GH50L head and thought it was totally kick ass. Are they voiced completely different?

Last but not least, I could save up my money up to £1kish and get myself something else. I could potentially get a ENGL Powerball but I've not had the chance to try it out. Any good?

Sorry for posting a huge chunk of text.
Save up for the powerball tbh!

I have the VC50 and it's a great amp, cleans are fantastic, much better than my GH100L, however the distortion is not as good.
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Get A VH100R They have great cleans and Killer distortion.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Laney and Engl are completely different in voicing, you're going to have to try them both out before making a decision, both brilliant amps.
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
powerball's good, but it's very much aimed at metal. if you play a wide range of stuff, i'd be looking elsewhere to be honest.

if you're willing to save up to £1k, see if you can get to try a brunetti xlr-evo. i liked that a lot. but really, it depends on how much of each different type of music you play...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave , the thing i like about the powerball is that it sounds like real 80's metal as well as being able to do horrible death metal

Check here

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6jvd9rWXzCY

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a3HNOVwpE7I&feature=channel
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Jan 14, 2009,
Thanks for the replies, the £1k thing is just a wee thing I have at the back of my head. But mind you, I'll need to get purchasing a cab along with the head!

Any comments about the JVM series?
I've tried a laney vc 50 and the engl screamer before, was actually gonna buy the screamer but went the cheaper route. It's a great amp.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by Mwoit
Thanks for the replies, the £1k thing is just a wee thing I have at the back of my head. But mind you, I'll need to get purchasing a cab along with the head!

Yeah, you'd be lucky to find a Powerball for £1k anyway, new. And they're pretty rare used...

I heard the JVM wasn't so good for metal (it sounds like a Marshall...), but reaallly versatile.
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
Quote by sharpant
Holy ****

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iyS7yzDpEos

That sounds amazing

yeah, it's kickass for the price. i didn't get to crank it, but it sounded pretty good even at lower volumes. one of the few amps i've tried (which was a similar price) since i got my savage se which made me second guess my choice. very versatile indeed, and the "edge" (something like that) knob lets you dial in the high gain channel from a brighter engl type of thing to a darker mesa type of thing. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't sound exactly the same as either, but it's nice to have the choice, which you rarely have. the cleans were really nice too (no onboard reverb and they were still really nice), and the crunch channel was pretty nice too.

Quote by sharpant
Dave , the thing i like about the powerball is that it sounds like real 80's metal as well as being able to do horrible death metal

Check here

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6jvd9rWXzCY

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a3HNOVwpE7I&feature=channel

yeah, it's still pretty metal though. i mean for a range of stuff...

Quote by Mwoit

yeah, that's true, and with the pound falling against the euro, the prices are only going to rise (in the short term, anyway).

JVM was quite nice, pretty versatile, but all the tones kind of sound "marshally", if that makes sense.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

yeah, that's true, and with the pound falling against the euro, the prices are only going to rise (in the short term, anyway).

JVM was quite nice, pretty versatile, but all the tones kind of sound "marshally", if that makes sense.

Yeah, it's incredibly depressing finding the price of all guitars and amps rising. Makes buying both second hand and first hand bloody annoying!

I get what you mean by the JVM thing, it did have that Marshall sound about it.

So about Brunetti, I'm sorta interested, however I've never ever heard of the brand and I haven't seen anywhere that stocks it! What UK dealers are there?
i'm not sure. there was one here, but it shut.

http://www.brunetti.it/distributors_en.php

if you email the distributor, it should be able to tell you where the dealers are. if you check on ebay, sometimes some shops have some for sale too, so i'd guess they're dealers too.

i'm just suggesting you try it, not necessarily buy, of course. they have some other models too, but i've only tried the xlr-evo (i heard the pirata wasn't that great, but that's hearsay, of course).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?