Okay everyone, like the title says, I'm throwing aside my hardheadedness (Yeah, that's all one word ) aside and I've decided to take lessons as soon as time and money allow for it.

Yes, I do as a matter of fact have questions, but story time first!

A long, long time ago in a year and month called January, 2008, I got this device with 6 strings. I was intrigued, and wanted to try it out. I thought "How hard could this be?" and gave it the good ole freshman effort, and attempted the most simple sounding song i could think of. "Brain Stew" by Greenday.

Needless to say, I sounded like balls.

So after about a week, I talked to one of my friends who had been playing for around 13 years. I asked him to teach me, and he did. In a very simple way. All he taught me was the Terminology of the Guitar World (Vibrato, Hammer-ons, Action, Tunings, etc.) and how to read Tabs. From there, in one short year, I was able to develop very rapidly. At first, i could only play simple songs. But then about 6 months go by, and i was learning more complicated songs. Now finally, after one year, I have a variety of skills, techniques, and songs under my belt. I can even do small 3-string sweeps and tapping (Blindly that is). Nothing is too hard for my as long as i put effort into it (Except for solos).

Now for about 8 months out of that year, I thought "Hell, I can do this on my own." Those other 4 months, I started to doubt myself. Sure i could play a lot of stuff as long as i have a tab for it, but i wasn't happy with that. I wanted to be able to play MY OWN riffs and jams. Sure i was able to make some up on my own, but only after a long time of trial and error. And i have only about 3 of my own original Riffs (Not including variants of them.)

I then realized I CAN'T do this on my own. After growing out of my stubbornness, I decided to look for teacher. And so my search for a teacher has started...

Okay, story time over.

I wanted to learn not only *How to play* but also Theory. I've looked around for teachers that are within a reasonable driving distance from my house, and my results have turned up nothing. I tried the internet for just basic theory. I've read the Crusader Articles on here, and I'm still having trouble.

So, what I was wondering, is that if anyone knows of a good teacher in the Middle Ohio area (Particularly west of Columbus,) ir if someone lives around there that would be willing to teach me.

And, if I still can;t find anyone, i was wondering if some from UG could give me *Lessons* through here. And by lessons, i meant something that could kind of get me off my feet until I can manage to get a real teacher.

Sorry for my long ass post, but its just something i had to say, lol. Thanks for listening, and extra thanks to those that help!
Last edited by SMB13 at Jan 14, 2009,
If you're still in high school take a class there.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by MedicreDemon
If you're still in high school take a class there.

I would, but i high school with a 500 student body, K-12, doesnt exactly get enough funding for a guitar class, let alone any form of a music class

Ashame, i know.
Quote by mdwallin
move school.... Even better: move town...
Your local music store will probably have lessons, or at least, a list of teachers in the state.

I know they have a teacher, but he only does acoustic. And the guy at the other store... Im not sure actually, lol. But i never thought about asking them for a list of teachers. Thats a good idea.
Quote by SMB13
I know they have a teacher, but he only does acoustic. And the guy at the other store... Im not sure actually, lol. But i never thought about asking them for a list of teachers. Thats a good idea.

lol, what kind of dumb teacher only teaches acoustic?! lol, acoustic is better than nothin I'd say give it a try
Quote by mdwallin
lol, what kind of dumb teacher only teaches acoustic?! lol, acoustic is better than nothin I'd say give it a try

Dumb is not the word to describe this man. Downs Syndrome cant even describe him, but itll have to do.

And i would, but like i said. Downs. lol.
im pretty sure there are some free video podcasts around (search itunes or youtube) that come out once a week and teach you stuff.
They might be handy until you find someone to teach you.
If the Crusades move too fast for you, try the theory lessons in my sig.

Hell, try all the lessons in my sig, I'm gradually basically moving everything I know that can be explained through text or video on to the net, step by step.

Ask guitar shops for lists of teachers and ask any guitar playing friends you have. Good luck finding a good teacher.
Quote by SMB13

I then realized I CAN'T do this on my own. After growing out of my stubbornness, I decided to look for teacher. And so my search for a teacher has started...

Actually, I think you CAN do it on your own, you just haven't realized it. There are
general learning principles that you can apply to anything, and everyone is born
with the ability to learn. To a large extent, you probably still retain a good deal of
internal "stubbornness" to a lot of things. Unfortunately, along with the innate
learning ability, we all seem to be born with this internal stubbornness. Recognizing
it for what it is, and then removing it, will allow your ability to learn to operate at
high efficiency. Then, you can pretty much learn whatever you want.

TO TS

I also suggest FP's lesson, and if there's a particular thing you don't understand, feel free to ask questions in MT any time if you don't understand something.

Quote by edg
Actually, I think you CAN do it on your own, you just haven't realized it. There are
general learning principles that you can apply to anything, and everyone is born
with the ability to learn. To a large extent, you probably still retain a good deal of
internal "stubbornness" to a lot of things. Unfortunately, along with the innate
learning ability, we all seem to be born with this internal stubbornness. Recognizing
it for what it is, and then removing it, will allow your ability to learn to operate at

Yes, but this is based on intelligence.

With intelligence I mean seeing connections.

Some people don't see, what others see so obviously. This can be hard to understand, but it's true if you think about it. Some people don't have the skill to see things objectively and connect everything logically. They need to be guided; Someone that confirms ur right or wrong, and fill in the gaps that you miss (human error)

This is why A real teacher is so good, cause he can confirm immediately if something is correct, without you testing it (yes everyone tests it, and it's ur intelligence that says how fast you "get it")

The "test" meaning subconsciously or consciously checking the acquired theory against ur other knowledge.

Here I make an example for you to understand;

I learn Melodic minor scale 1 day, the next day I learn Harmonic minor scale, and the day after that I learn the natural minor scale. The week after I learn about chords.

Now a more intelligent person could immediatly think; ' Hey all those formula's have a b3 and the minor chords I learned have also a b3. This means I can solo with those minor scale I learned over it'.

This may seem simple or easy; but fact is I still see Thread with people asking which scale over what chord.

An even more knowledgable person will see that this is not true, because melodic minor also contains a Maj7th note, and this goes on and on and on.

My apologies for this rant; I just wanted to explain that for some people it isn't that easy

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 15, 2009,
Quote by edg

I think you might just have the answer to life in this post

And yeah, ill be checking out FP's lessons here soon. Ihave them Bookmarked

Yes, but this is based on intelligence.

No, I don't think it is. It IS based on wisdom and knowing HOW to learn. Regardless of learning it on your own or being taught, you have whatever "intelligence" you have.

If I wanted to, I could start in right now and learn quantum mechanics to the graduate level and beyond. I could actually do this pretty much just as easily as if enrolled in a degree program. It's not because I'm particularly more intelligent than anyone else, but I DO know how to go about learning.
Quote by edg
No, I don't think it is. It IS based on wisdom and knowing HOW to learn. Regardless of learning it on your own or being taught, you have whatever "intelligence" you have.

If I wanted to, I could start in right now and learn quantum mechanics to the graduate level and beyond. I could actually do this pretty much just as easily as if enrolled in a degree program. It's not because I'm particularly more intelligent than anyone else, but I DO know how to go about learning.

That's what some people call intelligence.

I guess that's the problem when talking about intelligence, it isn't a that well defined concept.
"And everybody knows that you live forever
Ah, when you've done a line or two"