i'm looking to buy a used lp but im not sure what year to get, people have told me that the quality of lp's has changed from decade to decade. i'm looking for one from the 70's on....what year or era would u recommend.
i hope you have a lot of money.. older gibson les pauls are worth a fortune
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
i hope you have a lot of money.. older gibson les pauls are worth a fortune

in not looking for a 59 or anything in that category, looking for 70's and later something that will be below the cost of my house
If you are inexperienced, you will most likely get scammed. You wouldn't believe how many fake vintage Gibsons are on the market and what they cost. The prices are absolutely rediculous from the view of a musician - if you're just a collector it's something different though.
Don't do it unless you know EXACTLY what to look for. Better yet, don't do it at all.
I've heard the 70's weren't the best but really don't know for sure. I'd just try which ever ones you come across and buy the one you like. Most quality issues with Gibsons are visible and careful inspection should reveal any. Note that a smalll black lite is great for showing repairs like cracks or reglued necks/headstocks etc.
Moving on.....
I'd suggest one from the 90's.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
yeah someone told me the late nineties had the best les pauls, other than late 50's of course
Why don't you get a 08 or 09 model?
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
because i dont wanna buy it new, i would rather try to find one for like 500-1000 less on ebay
I see 70s LPs on ebay that go for quite a bit. Most seem to have an asking price between $2000-$20000.
The mid-late 70's, all the 80's and the early 90's are widely regarded as awful years for Gibson. You need to look either before then, or after then, so up to the very early 70's or the mid-90's onwards.

And really, you won't find any of those guitars any cheaper than a brand new one now, except for the occasional Studio model.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
well i see late nineties lps for substantially less than a new '08 model...are the new 2008 models as good as the ones from the late nineties??
like fibble said, look at either EARLY 70s or LATE 90s. and DO NOT buy off ebay, or order online. all les pauls are different and you need to play them first. also try PRS, he makes some damn good guitars...

well i see late nineties lps for substantially less than a new '08 model...are the new 2008 models as good as the ones from the late nineties??

no, id stay clear of les pauls from the 2000s on
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Last edited by maiden_mexico at Jan 15, 2009,
Many Gibson enthusiasts refer to the mid to late 70's as Gibson's "dark age". Apparently, the guitars made from the period had 3-piece necks and "pancake" bodies, both of which consisted of multiple pieces of wood glued together. I, on the other hand, have played some killer Les Pauls from the 70's. I find that Gibson is like that, no matter the decade. Some Les Pauls that come out of the factory are amazing and some are dogs. Either way, I would advise you to play the guitar before you buy it.
joshuaestock.com
Last edited by JEST87 at Jan 15, 2009,
I have a "The Paul II" (Gibson) from 1996 and it kicks freakin ass sound-wise and feel-wise. I wouldn't trade it for anything. The best advice I can give, though, is to play as many of them as you can and base your purchase on a personal playing experience, not on reviews of other people on the internet or elsewhere. Each individual guitar has its own feel, even from other guitars in the product line, so find a specific guitar that feels and sounds great to you and buy that one. Don't hold up for another one of the same year and model just because you're trying to get a deal.

Guitars, even within a specific make and model, are NOT created equal (especially used ones).
Quote by JEST87
Many Gibson enthusiasts refer to the mid to late 70's as Gibson's "dark age". Apparently, the guitars made from the period had 3-piece necks and "pancake" bodies, both of which consisted of multiple pieces of wood glued together. I, on the other hand, have played some killer Les Pauls from the 70's. I find that Gibson is like that, no matter the decade. Some Les Pauls that come out of the factory are amazing and some are dogs. Either way, I would advise you to play the guitar before you buy it.

Good info JEST, and sick gear too!!!