Haven't posted in a while...

Currently in my English class, we are doing some research papers about various topics of our choice, but they have to relate to a book we read (October Sky). I chose to write about the cold war, and how the strained relationship between the U.S. and Soviet Union was the primary cause for the inception of the space race. The problem is, I've been doing some research and couldn't really find too much information. I've found a little bit, but all of the research I've found so far could be summed up in this quote:

"The military origins of the Space Race are reflected in the rivalry to build rockets powerful enough to send nuclear warheads across the ocean, loft satellites into Earth orbit, or carry humans to the moon."

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I need a bit of help. I've been doing some thinking and trying to come up with some topics that I could sort of intertwine with my current one, but can't think of any (If that sentence makes sense). Can anyone help me?
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

Quote by joshua122593
The war between Coldplay and Satch will never end.

Damn straight.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty

Quote by Flaming Chaos
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/suez.htm
second result on google... just saying...
(the first was wikipedia by the way... *shakes head*)

I had actually skimmed that earlier and didn't find any information that I'd deem useful for my research topic.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty

Space race topics are not particularly fun because they have very limited information from what i have gathered. I tried to do one but i couldnt even get a 2000 word paper done with the information. I say stick to the more important things. IE, nuclear missiles in Turkey, Cuban missile crisis (this one is easy there is a ton of info),
Maybe talk about the conspiracy theory that the U.S. faked the lunar landing to outdo the Soviets? It would show the pressure the countries were facing.
Last edited by GuitarManiac09 at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by GuitarManiac09
Maybe talk about the conspiracy theory that the U.S. faked the lunar landing do outdo the Soviets? It would show the pressure the countries were facing.

Ah, thanks. I will see if maybe I could get that in there somewhere.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty

I guess if you want some stuff about the cold war the 'Star Wars' would be interesting. Look up the Strategic Defense Initiative, which was Reagon's attempt to make a space based laser designed to destroy missles. I think you should go from the beginning until general end of the Cold War. So I guess Reagon would fall in there somewhere. Sarcasm about the usefulness of hiding under desks from nuclear bombs should be added.

edit: Amish country? Not in Indiana are you? We got a lot up here.
Last edited by Kreider14 at Jan 14, 2009,
Before the use of satellites for surveillance the U.S. built the SI-17 Blackbird after an American U2 jet was shot down over Russia. They were (and still are if I am not mistaken) the fastest airplane in the world and each member had to wear a pressurized $120,000 flight suit. Anyway... these things were pretty state of the art, and still are by todays standards, until they were made obsolete by satellites. Satellites are launched into the sky by rockets, thats how it relates to October Sky.