For the majority of my life, I've always been nervous and insecure about my actions, but, it never really effected me to the point where it could actually embarrass others. Rarely do I ever let it embarrass myself. However, I've noticed a trend occurring the last couple of times I've played in my high school band.

You see, I recently took over 1st chair as a trumpet, which at first worried me a bit, but I embraced it later. There is this one piece that keeps upsetting me. At the end of the song, I have this little, cliche, yet oddly fitting, Calvary charge played on a normal B Major triad(B-D#-F#).

It's not hard to play, but right before it comes up, I always get very nervous and am incapable of playing it, stopping the band right in it's tracks.

Pit, anybody have some good advice for me?
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
performing is like 15% preparation and 85% confidence. you were made first for a reason, so own your spot man!
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Er, whenever I get nervous sometimes if you close your eyes it takes away a lot of the pressure. Also, make sure to practice it a lot so you know it like the back of your hand andyou won't mess up even if you tried.
Quote by wizards?
See a shrink?
I'd prefer to see shrink for other things, not being able to play trumpet <__<.

Andredit: Yeah, I see what you guys are saying about being able to play it without any trouble. I DO know it like the back of my hand and am capable of playing it, just not it front of the entire band.

That really sucks too as I have a solo in another song where the same thing kind of happens. However, I can do that one without any trouble(or much trouble, that is).
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Last edited by Just Andrew at Jan 14, 2009,
O hai long-lost twin bro.

I always get nervous. Always. With anything. The only thing that has really helped me is deciding that the outcome doesn't matter to me and embracing it, whatever it may be. In other words, stop caring.
kill all humans
Take two shots of liquid courage
Quote by herby190
Every thread I've seen you in has been a complete success. Yay you!

Quote by theking182
i'm voting for GNiCk89. i just like how he speaks TO me, not AT me.

Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Yea, Sublime is a great band. You have an Underoath icon, so I think your opinion doesn't matter.
Work Out, seriously for whatever reason it helps.
Gir vs. Wild :a man with foreskin is like a mule with a spinning wheel, nobody knows how he got it, and danged if he knows how to use it
play the song so often that you don't think about it, just do it, that's what I do anyway.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by alaskan_ninja

I always get nervous. Always. With anything. The only thing that has really helped me is deciding that the outcome doesn't matter to me and embracing it, whatever it may be. In other words, stop caring.
If only it were that easy.

Funny thing is I even have a talent show on Thursday(tomorrow) and even though I'm a little nervous about that, I'm still more confident in playing in front of hundreds of people by myself then less than half that in a cramped band room....
Quote by Teh Forest King
I use to be the same. it I noticed someone looking at my hands they'd start to shake. then at one point I realised that this is the only chance you get and you'll probably better off dead than to live like that. I changed from that point on.
and not to be big headed or anything but I slept with 2 girls yesterday and I'm not even good looking.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by alaskan_ninja

This man speaks the truth!
Quote by Ganshar
go do everything that you get nervus about, once youi do everything you wont be nervus anymore
Yeah, but I already have had the worse case scenario occur. Many times now, but I still get nervous.
Quote by Teh Forest King
Quote by Just Andrew

Funny thing is I even have a talent show on Thursday(tomorrow) and even though I'm a little nervous about that, I'm still more confident in playing in front of hundreds of people by myself then less than half that in a cramped band room....

Thats totally normal actually. I think it's worse when you're playing to a relatively small group, as it's more presonal.
Quote by Just Andrew
If only it were that easy.

Just think about it a bit. You're just blowing air through a metal tubey thing while pressing some valves. It's not important in the least. It has nothing to do with the world as a whole. You're pretty insignificant anyway, and in the long run the trumpet performance thing is going to be a pretty insignificant part of your life. It's not a grain of sand on a beach, it's taking a grain of sand off of a beach and taking it to a lab and grinding it up and taking one of the tiny sand-bits.

Why does it matter?

Playing your trumpet is not going to make some hot girl want you.

Playing your trumpet is not going to solve world hunger.

Playing your trumpet is not going to inspire some engineer at Ford to make a 300 mpg car.

Playing your trumpet is not going to make Osama bin Laden go up to the White House and turn himself in.

Playing your trumpet is not going to stop climate change.

The world is crazy, random, unpredictable. You and your little trumpet are not going to change it.

Stop caring.

Just play your ****ing trumpet.
kill all humans
Quote by Just Andrew
For the majority of my life, I've always been nervous and insecure about my actions, but, it never really effected me to the point where it could actually embarrass others. Rarely do I ever let it embarrass myself. However, I've noticed a trend occurring the last couple of times I've played in my high school band.

You see, I recently took over 1st chair as a trumpet, which at first worried me a bit, but I embraced it later. There is this one piece that keeps upsetting me. At the end of the song, I have this little, cliche, yet oddly fitting, Calvary charge played on a normal B Major triad(B-D#-F#).

It's not hard to play, but right before it comes up, I always get very nervous and am incapable of playing it, stopping the band right in it's tracks.

Pit, anybody have some good advice for me?

Pop some Valium... Really.
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Just think about it a bit. You're just blowing air through a metal tubey thing while pressing some valves. It's not important in the least. It has nothing to do with the world as a whole. You're pretty insignificant anyway, and in the long run the trumpet performance thing is going to be a pretty insignificant part of your life. It's not a grain of sand on a beach, it's taking a grain of sand off of a beach and taking it to a lab and grinding it up and taking one of the tiny sand-bits.

Why does it matter?
Okay, I'm going to bump this as the problem has reared it's ugly head once again. And with all due respect, Alaskan, that's some terrible advice I got. I mean no disrespect, but I was doing some thinking when I messed up terribly yesterday.

If my trumpeting means nothing on a global scale, why the hell should my life even matter at all? Mine, as well as yours, probably won't effect the world in the slightest, so why even try?

That's theoretical, though. Messing up matters to me and to the small group of people that could and have seen me do it. I can't just 'not care', but that's also just what I have to do. I really could use some help, again.
Quote by Teh Forest King