Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but a few chords have been pissing me off lately. http://guitar.about.com/library/blchord_fmajor.htm, that's one, the other is the C. The problem is, no matter how hard I try, I mute a string, I can play G major and Em, but can't get C or F, help?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
I'm not quite sure if this belongs under "advanced techniques"

but to answer your question, just practice.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
Sorry to post it here, but I didn't think it belonged in the noob section either, though it's seems noobish. I'll keep trying, but come here again if I can't I guess.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Well itl;s an old adage but practice is is uslly the only way.

other than that with the C make sure you are arching your fingers so that the fingertips are coming straight onto the fretboard, so your thumb is usaully in the middle of the neck, you can go with the thumb over the top ala Jimi Hendrix when you get a bit more expereinced.

The F chord I would say donlt do the little barre, go for the full barre because (A) you are glogin to ahve to do it one day anyway anmd (B) I personally found the full bar much easier than the little barre shown on the diagram.
So barre all the first frets for the F? That seems pretty hard when I try it.
Quote by chip46
As my guitar instructor used to tell me, "There's a reason they named it the F chord." I'm going to tell you the same thing he told me. Practice. Practice and then practice some more. You will get it and when you do, you'll know it and be able to play it in your sleep. I know you're having problems with the index finger. It's all about the angle. Try almost laying the finger parallel along the strings. It will be angled slightly - it has to due to your hand. Then bring the second and third fingers up to the A and F, respectively. Keep at it.

As far as playing a C... Again, this is all practice and technique. Try fretting one string at a time, then play that string. Watch the positioning of your finger. Be careful to only get the tip of your finger on the string and not to mute adjacent strings. We all start out the same way - with the same problems. I remember it like it was yesterday. It wasn't, but it seems like it. Let's try it:

First finger on the first fret of the second string. Pluck it. Pluck the adjacent strings. So far so good? If not, adjust your index finger and try again. Leave that finger in place and put the second finger on the second fret of the fourth string. Play the fourth string by itself. Good? If not, fix it. Try again. Good? Now let's play the first four strings - but let's do it one at a time. Any muted strings? Look at what the problem is and correct. Once you have that part mastered, let's do the last string. Place your third finger on the fifth string, third fret. Play it by itself. Good? If not, fix it. Play the five strings by themselves. Do not play the sixth string, since this is an E and would create a different chord - it's actually a slash chord, but we won't get into that right now. Just know that for the C, we only want to strum the 5 strings closest to the floor (right-handed guitar). Are they all nice and clear? If not, find the problem(s) and fix 'em.

You won't master them at first. It may take a week, two or three to get these chords, especially the F, down to where you can play them easily. Keep at it and in no time flat, you'll be laughing at the F.
Quote by lespaul#1
So barre all the first frets for the F? That seems pretty hard when I try it.

Most guitar instructors will teach you the small barre F as an introduction. I wouldn't worry about learning the full barre right now. Just work on the one on the website link you provided. Once you learn it that way, you'll learn that it's moveable and then be introduced to full barre chords. You need to gradually work up the callouses on your fingertips and begin to strengthen your fingers.
I believe you Steven about playing it in my sleep, the G chord was a bit tricky, but now I can play it without looking.
Quote by chip46
Quote by KG6_Steven
As my guitar instructor used to tell me, "There's a reason they named it the F chord." I'm going to tell you the same thing he told me. Practice. Practice and then practice some more. You will get it and when you do, you'll know it and be able to play it in your sleep. I know you're having problems with the index finger. It's all about the angle. Try almost laying the finger parallel along the strings. It will be angled slightly - it has to due to your hand. Then bring the second and third fingers up to the A and F, respectively. Keep at it.

As far as playing a C... Again, this is all practice and technique. Try fretting one string at a time, then play that string. Watch the positioning of your finger. Be careful to only get the tip of your finger on the string and not to mute adjacent strings. We all start out the same way - with the same problems. I remember it like it was yesterday. It wasn't, but it seems like it. Let's try it:

First finger on the first fret of the second string. Pluck it. Pluck the adjacent strings. So far so good? If not, adjust your index finger and try again. Leave that finger in place and put the second finger on the second fret of the fourth string. Play the fourth string by itself. Good? If not, fix it. Try again. Good? Now let's play the first four strings - but let's do it one at a time. Any muted strings? Look at what the problem is and correct. Once you have that part mastered, let's do the last string. Place your third finger on the fifth string, third fret. Play it by itself. Good? If not, fix it. Play the five strings by themselves. Do not play the sixth string, since this is an E and would create a different chord - it's actually a slash chord, but we won't get into that right now. Just know that for the C, we only want to strum the 5 strings closest to the floor (right-handed guitar). Are they all nice and clear? If not, find the problem(s) and fix 'em.

You won't master them at first. It may take a week, two or three to get these chords, especially the F, down to where you can play them easily. Keep at it and in no time flat, you'll be laughing at the F.

Also try playing the chord, but do it one note at a time, this is a great way of determining the exact string that is a problem. As Steven said, in a few months you will be playing the F like it;s a breeze, patience, practice and perservereance are maybe the most important aspectas of guitar playing.
Ok, I will practice, thanks everyone.
Quote by chip46