I'm still thinking about a guitar to buy. My problem is, Gibson or Epiphone. I'd rather get a Gibson, simply because they're not made to lower standards, like Epiphones to Gibsons. Some once said on here, Epiphones are made to suck more than Gibsons. Also, Epiphones generally have generic Alnicos Humbuckers, while Gibsons have a '57 or '59 humbucker. My problem is, well, there are thousands of people on here better than me, yet, they use Epiphones, this guitar will be earned by me, working a job, but I still feel like a toll getting such a nice instrument, and not being great. Any advice?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
its your money, buy whatever you want.

edit- thanks for the lesson on the difference we really needed it [/sarcasm]
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Its not bad if you earn it the thing I have problems with is when people just get it handed to them. Gibson are better but thats not saying epiphone are necessarily crap high end epiphones ive heard can match mid range gibson.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Last edited by lespaul#1 at Jan 14, 2009,
Buy the best one that you can afford. It's ok if u can't play a single note clearly now. I hate when ppl say "I'm looking for a beginner guitar 'cos I'm new to this." For gods sake go for the best!
get another pickguard for the strat that is SSH or HH?

cheapest solution i see.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

get it, rock out, nuff said
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
After four weeks, I should have about $1150. Conor, my main reason for a new guitar is to not butcher my Strat, I use it for cleans, and low gain, no way I'm changing the pickups besides a set of 57/'62s, which it doesn't even need.
Quote by chip46
i didnt mind playing a epi jr in the store honestly it didnt get as bad a tone as people lead others to believe, i would buy one if it wasnt for the fact im not a big fan of LPs, but after all its your money, if you earned no one can give you BS for it since you bought it. so just get what you want
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Like everyone is saying, its your money, you earned it, you can do what you like with it. But make sure you play the guitar before you buy it, but thats just common sense.
Gear: I haz some

Quote by RCA1186
hah its ok besa, i still love you

^ guess someone has too
Quote by lespaul#1
After four weeks, I should have about $1150. Conor, my main reason for a new guitar is to not butcher my Strat, I use it for cleans, and low gain, no way I'm changing the pickups besides a set of 57/'62s, which it doesn't even need.

butcher your strat to change a pickguard/pickups?

uhm.. if you dont even understand your first guitar why are you upgrading?
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

I feel bad though, I wish everyone could get what they want. First off, not upgrading, adding a HH or HHH guitar, second, IMO putting humbuckers in a Strat is butchering it. In my bloody opinion.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
I feel bad though, I wish everyone could get what they want.

Thats true I want an RG Prestige but If I had been saving I would have one but you earned it dude you should enjoy it.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Yeah just go to the store and try them out.

Don't overlook the Epiphone Elitist Series either.

I hear they can be excellent and even rival the standard Gibsons.
Gear:
Fender Mexican Standard Strat(Sunburst, Rosewood, Custom Shop '69 pickups)
Fender Super Champ XD
EHX Big Muff Pi
Yamaha Acoustic
Alvarez Silver Anniversary Acoustic
Thanks, it's an office job, but I need experience for college and what-not. Beats working in the field like last summer. And I have heard a lot about the Elitists.
Quote by chip46
I can't play worth a damn and I've got twelve guitars, one of them is a Gibson Custom Shop. I paid for half of it, my family combined paid for the other half since it was my 21st birthday and Christmas present combined.

Can't say I feel bad about it. I still dropped a couple of thousand of my own money on it, and they all know I love this guitar more than anything and it was their suggestion to begin with.

'S damn worth it.

Have I 'earnt' this guitar(s)? Some people might say I haven't. But who cares, really? If it's within your means and it's not harming anyone, why not get the nice Gibson, or the Fender or ESP or whatever instead of the Epi/Squier/LTD/etc.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by lespaul#1
I'm still thinking about a guitar to buy. My problem is, Gibson or Epiphone. I'd rather get a Gibson, simply because they're not made to lower standards, like Epiphones to Gibsons. Some once said on here, Epiphones are made to suck more than Gibsons. Also, Epiphones generally have generic Alnicos Humbuckers, while Gibsons have a '57 or '59 humbucker. My problem is, well, there are thousands of people on here better than me, yet, they use Epiphones, this guitar will be earned by me, working a job, but I still feel like a toll getting such a nice instrument, and not being great. Any advice?

Buy whatever you want. Only time I would say not to buy an expensive guitar is if your so new to guitar that you don't know what you like in a guitar. If you know you want a Gibson then go for it.
Quote by lespaul#1

I know what you mean. I'm sort of in the same position, though I've probably been playing far shorter than you (only about 8 months now). I've come to the compromise that around May or so, I will buy myself a nice $1000-$1500 guitar for my 1 year since I started playing guitar. I still feel a bit bad about it because I don't think a better guitar makes you that much a better player, but if you can afford it, why not right. Just make sure you buy something you really like.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
If you think you'll like it, then go for it.
Just try them out in the store and make sure it's what you really want.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
The way I see it, with a Gibson you're paying for a name more than anything With some slight differences that do make them a bit better, but IMO not worth forking out the extra cash. Its American made and hand crafted (although my epi LP says handcrafted as well in another country)

Yes the Gibson's may have some better stock hardware, but hardware in an Epi could also easily be upgraded if desired. Also if i understand right, Gibson guitars are generally made with one giant slab of wood. Where if you look at an Epi's backside on say a les paul, you can see that there are at least two separate pieces there. This is said by some to cause the Epiphone versions to be a tad lighter than Gibsons.

To sum it up, yes Gibsons DO have some better features. is it worth the extra money? I dont think it is. Its the name basically you're paying for. My Epiphone sounds great i think even when compared to a Gibson. But youve read everyones posts. Your money do what you want with it, AFTER trying them both out and see for your self. Good luck bro.
Last edited by Ekim423 at Jan 15, 2009,
If you can't tell the difference in quality by looking at them and playing, go for the cheaper one. Don't pay attention to the branding.
Quote by YA89
Buy the best one that you can afford. It's ok if u can't play a single note clearly now. I hate when ppl say "I'm looking for a beginner guitar 'cos I'm new to this." For gods sake go for the best!

^ best advice.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
It really dosn't matter what Guitar you have its the amp the pickups and skill melded together to form a good sound. I personally find Gibsons to be over rated lately. But LTD/ Esp makes a Lp style that just looks good and are generally better quaility than Epi's and depending on model cheaper.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Last edited by Unherolike at Jan 15, 2009,
Quote by YA89

in retrospect, sure. everybody on UG probably thinks they should have made an investment.

But really, were you so sure about guitar when you started? I'd be reluctant to drop a lot of money into a midrange guitar if I was just starting.

Nonetheless, it doesn't pay to buy utter junk - cheap but playable is fine for a first guitar.
Quote by Roast Beef
in retrospect, sure. everybody on UG probably thinks they should have made an investment.

But really, were you so sure about guitar when you started? I'd be reluctant to drop a lot of money into a midrange guitar if I was just starting.

Nonetheless, it doesn't pay to buy utter junk - cheap but playable is fine for a first guitar.

Yes I was happy with my guitar then I bought a new pickup for it and used a buddys half stack end story.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Sorry to take so long, but thanks everyone, I'll be sure to try out whatever the local stores carry. And then narrow it down, of all the Gibsons, they're mostly SGs, and of Epiphones, they're mostly Les Pauls. What I like, is the way they have the guitars laid out, the Fender amps, mostly tube, with Telecasters hanging over them, and Strats and Jaguars and Jazzmasters around them, and Marshalls and Voxes, about 2 MGs, and the Voxes are Valvetronix and Ac30, with SGs hanging over them, just visualize that.
Quote by chip46
My personal prefrance is a Epi with a swap of pickups youll have a Gibson. With Gibson you are really just paying for the name on headstock.
My question, why are there so many negative reviews? On the Epiphones, you have people complaining they are no Gibsons, on the Gibsons, you have people whining that they are little more than modded Epiphones. I have ruled out the Firebird, because I've heard remarks that it sounds like a Strat and LP mixed, and I need humbucker tone.
Quote by chip46
get an epiphone shredder series, they sound very good, and from what i hear are made very well, iwould recommend one of those, or one of those 900 dollar gibsons like the LP and explorer they don't have the nice shiny finish but get a nice "humbucker" noise, maybe they'll have the crunch you want in a humbucker
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
I'd get a Gibson, only if you get one from before they started chambering. Otherwise if you are going to get new the higher end Epi's are better quality than lower end Gibby's
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lespaul#1

Don't get the Faded SG, my cousin got one and the thing completely fell apart after a few weeks of bedroom use. I've seen it happen to other peoples too, but not on any other Gibsons. Also, none of those come with 57s or Burstbuckers, they have the generic 490R and 490T I think. Anyways, if you replace them, don't replace them with either of those because you can do way better than Gibson pups for that price, trust me, I own 2 Gibbies and the pups aren't great stock.

Quote by lbj273
I'd get a Gibson, only if you get one from before they started chambering. Otherwise if you are going to get new the higher end Epi's are better quality than lower end Gibby's

I disagree, the chambered ones I've played and the LP I own resonate way better than the solid ones I've played. They also take a huge load off your back. However, I do prefer the feel of a heavier guitar.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jan 15, 2009,
Ive got the SG and I love it does everything I want it too do. Your cousin must have been really tough on it or just got a really bad guitar. I done a pick up swap with mine and it sounds amazing through my marshall. I would say look into it or an epiphone elitist. The explorer is nice as they come with hotter pups stock I think a 500t and a 496 as there all great guitars. If you worked for your money go for it man I think UG just hates kids who only know a couple of powerchords getting thousands of dollars in equipment and there not really ever satisfied...
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
Last edited by BlackIce87 at Jan 16, 2009,
Quote by BlackIce87
Ive got the SG and I love it does everything I want it too do. Your cousin must have been really tough on it or just got a really bad guitar. I done a pick up swap with mine and it sounds amazing through my marshall. I would say look into it or an epiphone elitist. The explorer is nice as they come with hotter pups stock I think a 500t and a 496as all great guitars.

Actually, I'm the one who broke it. I did like a 3 1/2 step bend since he had 9s and the tuner heads of the e and B strings cracked for some reason and fell off. Then the pickups went dead a little later after we tried gluing the tuner heads back together. We also managed to blow out his Crate amp that same night. We may have just gotten a dud, but like I said I know other people who have problems with theirs so Gibson may just be putting out more duds than good ones. I personally love my SG Reissue and have had no problems with it other than the Tune-O-Matic breaking after a year and a half, but it was my fault because I didn't secure the strap locks good enough and I dropped it. It's by far the most resonant guitar I own, largely due to it's one piece body and neck and the large headstock.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Epiphone Elitist if you can find one. Or you could buy a low-end Gibson and replace the pickups on it.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by Roast Beef

Agreed what happened with me is that I got a cheap strat copy to see if I liked guitar and would stick with it but then I loved it and did end up sticking to it so I regretted not investing more in my setup.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Hey, if you are earning money, then that's enough reason to treat yourself to a great guitar! Whether it's epiphone or gibson don't matter to me, get urself an Epiphone Elitist if you want as good or better quality than the Gibson yet since you don't feel worthy of a Gibson you won't feel guilty lol!

Btw, Epiphone is not bad, I love my G400 it is one of the best guitars I've played and it's playability is on par with the Gibson's I've played. You can get lucky or unlucky with Epiphones, that's the only problem which is why you must go to the store and pick one out that looks and sounds good.