My guitar will not stay in tune at all when I use my original floyd rose trem bar ever since I changed the string gauge.

I play in drop c (CGCFAD) with 11s.

When I dive bomb most of my strings go sharp and when I pull up they go flat.

I have 4 springs in it and the trem is level so it can't be that.

What do you guys think it could be?

Oh and also, my strings don't all drop down correctly when I dive down. The highest strings drop but they don't get loose like all the other strings and flap around. Dunno if that's part of the problem or what but I thought I would mention it.

Thanks
Quote by JameO_182
My guitar will not stay in tune at all when I use my original floyd rose trem bar ever since I changed the string gauge.

I play in drop c (CGCFAD) with 11s.

I have 4 springs in it and the trem is level so it can't be that.

What do you guys think it could be?

Oh and also, my strings don't all drop down correctly when I dive down. The highest strings drop but they don't get loose like all the other strings and flap around. Dunno if that's part of the problem or what but I thought I would mention it.

Thanks

You need to have it setup for the different gauge, because you now have a different tension which will affect the balance and intonation.
Quote by gnomieowns
you know you have to recalibrate it if you change gauges, right?

+1

when you put the 011's, the springs in the back had to support more pressure than they used to support = RECALIBRATE
Ivan!

Proghead+Metalhead= ME

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

URL=http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ar gentina
I put the 4th spring in and I made it so the tension is even because the trem is straight like it should be.

Isn't that all you have to do?

I have it set so two springs are at 1 side and two are at the other also if that helps out any.
Quote by JameO_182
Oh and also, my strings don't all drop down correctly when I dive down. The highest strings drop but they don't get loose like all the other strings and flap around.

The reason the top 3 strings wont flop around as much as the lower 3 is because of string stretching. For instance, when you stretch your strings when you put them on the guitar, you might have to stretch the low E 6x more than the high E. The same applies here. The low E has to stretch more to stay in tune than the high E.

As far as your tuning situation, first i would check to make sure your locking nut doesnt have any groves :eekIve had that happen before). That can throw your tuning off. If thats not it, i would check the knife edge on your floyd rose. It could be wearing down, and getting dull. If thats the case, then try applying chapstick to the knife edge and the point where the knife edge meets the pivot screws.
the chapstick thing really works! try it!

and all of your floyd rose questions can be ansered here:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

the site is mainly for ibanez's but applies to all guiars.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B