Page 1 of 3
I have a friend, but I've had to stop visiting him. Whenever I'm at his house, he's inevitably assaulting my ears with bottom feeder "old school," "retro" bull****. Evile, Bloodbath, distracting piffle like Toxic Holocaust. If it sounds just like something that was good 15-20 years ago, but, you know, ****ty, he's playing it.

Lately, it's been Deathevokation, which is a bit like listening to the Ten Most Boring Riffs in Florida, circa 1991, broken up with pointless interludes and all reimagined as cheesy stadium metal. In other words, better than Bloodbath, but not as enjoyable as a root canal.

I absolutely can't stand this ****. How can people love the real 'old school' so much and still have no idea what it was that made it interesting in the first place?
Bloodbath's collective fecal matter is better than you, Trolly McTrollerstein
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
It was interesting because it was fukking awesome.
Skeletonwitch are pretty cool as well, not a big fan of much thrash revival though.
Old Death Metal is so much better than the new stuff.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by BringMeTheCalm
Old Death Metal is so much better than the new stuff.

Which goes without saying. I just find it fascinating that there are so many bands out there that obviously have a nearly encyclopedic knowledge of the classic bands from past eras, but they still haven't got the foggiest idea what actually made them classics to begin with. So they blunder around making crap music from old riff archetypes.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It was interesting because it was fukking awesome.
Skeletonwitch are pretty cool as well, not a big fan of much thrash revival though.

They're definitely a fun live band, but on record, without the social context, they're just fantastically 'meh.' Plus, when you talk to them, it's like they've never really thought about the music they listen to or the music they play in their entire lives. Nice guys, but, not a clue...
I agree with Martel about 95%

cos I assume he is lumping some bands (eg Repugnant, Dead Congregation) in this category that I don't think belong there
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by technicolour
You have to think about metal now?

It's probably a good idea if you're going to write music to put some thought into it, don't you think?
Quote by MHDrunk
I agree with Martel about 95%

cos I assume he is lumping some bands (eg Repugnant, Dead Congregation) in this category that I don't think belong there

Repugnant are a slightly better breed of this stuff, but still, wouldn't you just rather listen to Darkified or Goddified or Morpheus or pretty much any second tier Stockholm band actually from the early 90s (to say nothing of Like an Everflowing Stream or Dark Recollections or any of the other real classics of the era)?
Quote by The Frayed Ends

BANG YOUR HEAD
AT BALOFF'S COMMAND

Those lyrics really do make me

At the heart of this troll, lies a truthful message.

But a troll it is nonetheless.
Quote by Magero
Mindless music can be fun.
The 80's and early 90's proved that.

Not to me, it didn't, not at all, sister.
Pretty ignorant lumping every "old school" band together like that, but I agree to a degree (and they said I could never become a poet...)

I have a bit of dislike for sloppy, really non-dynamic thrash metal. That kind of stuff's fun to mosh to, but some of it gets really monotonous. Stuff like voivod is pretty killah, but I honestly cannot hear stuff like exciter and think, "man, this is good music!". (Coming from a guy that listens to Mudhoney, though )
People like what they like.
I, personally, can't stand a lot of the old death/thrash/whatever because the music itself is more primative. It didn't need to be interesting, musically, because no one had any clue what it was back then. The new thrash/death/whatever revival is 9 times out of 10, old school styles, with new school sensabilities and teachings, applied well. Bands like Evile, interest me as much as old Metallica, and about a thousand times more than bands like Exciter, Kreator and Destruction. It's all personal opinion. Whining about how belittled and unappreciated your old school music is, is pointless. No one cares, and 9 times out of 10, people will just think you're a douche for trying to tell them they listen to shit.
Welcome to the real world, where leather jackets with Exodus patches are no longer the social norm.
I don't hear it. What "new sensibilities" are Evile applying to their music? I guess there's a vaguely emo/metalcore approach to harmony and presentation, but when you get right down to it, it's just a Slayer song with half of the riffs, none of the intelligence and twice the self-consciousness.
Quote by Martel
I don't hear it. What "new sensibilities" are Evile applying to their music? I guess there's a vaguely emo/metalcore approach to harmony and presentation, but when you get right down to it, it's just a Slayer song with half of the riffs, none of the intelligence and twice the self-consciousness.

Uh... I dunno, not being dull as a rock teaching a seminar entitled "Iceburgs: The Ponderous Killer"?
You know, I never enjoyed that Sweden sound, bands like Dismember, Entombed, Carnage, Grave etc. Other than Necrovation and Repugnant, the only death metal bands from Sweden that I ever liked was Nihilist
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

But they ARE that dull. There's more going on in the first two minutes of "South of Heaven" than in the entire Evile catalog.
I love the irony in calling Slayer "intelligent and interesting music", where as a band that is basically ripping them off is "boring and stupid".
Quote by MHDrunk
You know, I never enjoyed that Sweden sound, bands like Dismember, Entombed, Carnage, Grave etc. Other than Necrovation and Repugnant, the only death metal bands from Sweden that I ever liked was Nihilist

Repugnant sounds like a carbon copy of Darkified to me, maybe a touch of Sorcery or the Treblinka demos.

Nihilist is great, certainly better than the Entombed material, but when you get right down to it, they're really just d-beat hardcore with some melodic flourishes borrowed from Possessed and Autopsy. Cool band - too one dimensional for me to spend a lot of time with. I'm a big fan of the more developed Swedish style: more like classical, less like punk, but a lot of fans of dirtier sounds prefer the Finnish scene from the same era. Me, I like it all - except the crap.
Quote by Martel
But they ARE that dull. There's more going on in the first two minutes of "South of Heaven" than in the entire Evile catalog.

Here is someone who thinks Evile's entire catalog sounds like the into of "Thrasher", having clearly not listened to any of it.
Quote by Magero
I love the irony in calling Slayer "intelligent and interesting music", where as a band that is basically ripping them off is "boring and stupid".

They rip off the riffs, sure, what's missing are the ideas, the spirit and the structure. It's not the riffs, it's how they're put together. You can copy the technique. You can spit out your vocals just like you might imagine Tom Araya doing it. You can engineer the drums to sound like Reign in Blood, but if your songs sound like they were stitched together by a retard from an alcohol-sodden memory of hearing "Raining Blood" on South Park and you've got nothing to say, it's still going to be a soggy, boring mess. You can add that little ...And Justice For All as interpreted by some dumbass local metalcore act stuttering intro riff to every song, and it's still going to put the smart people to sleep.
Last edited by Martel at Jan 15, 2009,
Boo hoo.
Stop trying to find soul in thrash metal.
It's as fruitful a quest as trying to find someone who isn't jailbait at a Bring Me The Horizon show.
Quote by Magero
Boo hoo.
It's as fruitful a quest as trying to find someone who isn't jailbait at a Bring Me The Horizon show.

Stop encouraging people to take the soul out.
Yeah, I'm definitely more of a fan of the Finnish scene.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you've been here a few times over the past year and are now taking a far more polite approach so as not to get found out and banned again

Quote by Magero
Boo hoo.

Jailbait? Aren't you still a minor?
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live

Can you drive yet?
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
>_>
<_<

****ing culturally evolved human beings. IT'S NOT MY FAULT WE FAIL AS A COUNTRY!!!
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
maggie you're still a minor for 3 and a half months

You know Mag, you should kill somebody or rob a bank or something while you can still escape to another country as an emancipated minor. Go, go!
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Finnish old school death metal is where it's at
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Page 1 of 3