Does having real fancy expensive cables really make a difference in sound? I know the crappy ones do like my friend just started guitar and bought a guitar that came with a thinner than usual cable, which i ve seen common in guitar starter kits and i had him plug into my cable and sounded a whole lot better. I ve seen the monster cables, which they try to sell me at guitar center, but they are soo expensive and i don't know if my cables i have right now is really all that bad. It dosen't have brass/gold coated plugs but it seems like pretty thick wire. I don't know if upgrading to something like monster would really make much of a difference or not. Another thing is noise but that seems to come mostly from my pedals and when they are off, they is no noise. So, idk. Anybody ever A/B ed regular average cables like i have with a monster. If the difference is really small, i can't see buying and upgrading my cables right now. Possibly later on. But, if its a drastic change im going to consider it.
If you have a terrible cable and switch to a nice one, you'll notice a tone difference most likely

EDIT: I did that the other day and I DEFINITELY preferred the high end monster cable
yeahh... however there are some nice cheap cables out there!
Ivan!

Proghead+Metalhead= ME

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

URL=http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ar gentina
Monster cables are a bit expensive, you pay for the brand name, I prefer Mogami and I've heard great things about Planet Wave Cables I'd get one of those.
and monster cables have a life time warentee
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
I hear Monsters are not that great. Overrated and overpriced. One cable I will always suggest is basically any Planet Waves cable. Even the lowest price one is $20(CAN) and is great. For about $50 you can get their Pro Series which is also excellent for the price.

Cables are not a huge deal anyway, so I won't spend more than $80 on one.

Edit: All Planet Waves cables have a lifetime warranty too.
Last edited by GymboJones at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by GymboJones
I hear Monsters are not that great. Overrated and overpriced.

+1

Unless you're rich, professional, or a session musician, you won't need better than an average grade Planet Waves, Mogami, or George L cable.

www.lavacable.com for ALL your cable inquiries
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
+1

Unless you're rich, professional, or a session musician, you won't need better than an average grade Planet Waves, Mogami, or George L cable.

www.lavacable.com for ALL your cable inquiries

Monsters suck. They sound like crap and break pretty easily. I've owned a lot of cables and Mogami, George Ls and Lava Cables are by far the best unless you wanna spend $1500 on something like an Alessandro one. Mogami has the lifetime warranty as well so if you insist you need it that would be the one to go with. George Ls are probably the best bargain and are my favorite for getting a clear tone. Planet Waves aren't bad but I've had several and none have lasted me very long.
Monster Cable is overpriced for what you get. I recommend Planet Waves to most people.
What about dimarzo? I have those for my pedal couplar cables. I don't know if it matters if you got high quality short cables between the pedals or not. I would describe my cables as average. I got two actually. One going from my guitar into my pedalboard and one going out to the amp. How long should i get them also? So, its two. So, its double the $$. No sense having one cable that real good then one that average.
Quote by asdaven
What about dimarzo? I have those for my pedal couplar cables. I don't know if it matters if you got high quality short cables between the pedals or not. I would describe my cables as average. I got two actually. One going from my guitar into my pedalboard and one going out to the amp. How long should i get them also? So, its two. So, its double the $$. No sense having one cable that real good then one that average.

Yea, your tones only as good as your crappiest cable, including the patches between pedals. For those I recommend George Ls. Get all cables as short as possible. The less length the less capacitance which equals more tone. If you're gonna gig the short length wouldn't really be possible but it doesn't make much difference when using high quality cables. George Ls are good for pedalboards but can be a bit fragile when going from guitar to pedalboard and pedalboard to amp so you have to make sure to get the end pieces that help hold them on better. If you want the best, get the .155 cable with brass plugs for the pedalboard, with the stress relief jackets. And for guitar to pedalboard and pedalboard to amp, get the .255 cable with brass plugs, of course with the stress relief jackets.
Quote by Roast Beef
Almost anything is better than the cables you get bundled in starter kits.

True. Or the ones they have in GC now.
One other question- Do gold platted plugs vs nickel platted plugs really matter? I read that gold platted plugs that the gold coating wears off and isn't really much difference than nickel coated.
I went ahead and got two 21 foot monster rock cables. I can't wait to try it out. I hope i made a good choice.
You could've done worse, but you could've done better for the same money.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I could not decide between the monster and the planet waves. The planet waves was only 10 bucks cheaper. Im not concerned about the money, but if the monster is a good cable or not?
Thanks-
I'm planning on buying a 10 foot Dimarzio cable soon. I haven't heard a bad thing about them, except that they coil easily, which isn't even that big of a deal.
Quote by mmolteratx
The less length the less capacitance which equals more tone.

Um, capacitance is a measure of electric charge stored. Cables are not capacitors. Are you thinking resistance?
Dimarzio cables i heard are good. I use them as my patch cables for my pedals. Only problem with a longer dimarzio cable like that is that they are very stiff.
So, the monster rock cables that bought, are they crappy cables or not?
Let me rephrase that. Are monster rock cable pretty good professional quality cables? I know they are overpriced and i could have gotten same quality for cheaper. But taking the price out of the equation, my question is is monster rock a pretty good cable and won't affect my tone negatively? And better than a GC $10 cable?
Thanks-
i've tried monster cables (more on my bass, tbh, but i still didnt like them). i also read somwhere that a gold plated jack doesnt really make that much of a difference. if the output jack on your guitar was goldplated, then it would be good, cuz it would be a gold-to-gold connection. but when the signal has to travel through to many different metals, it gets degraded.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
i plugged it in and i think i like the difference with the monster cable. But, i have not tried a planet waves cable before. The people at the guitar shop said the main difference is that the monster probably lets your tone though more and the planet waves i probably a little more durable but with the monster still being pretty durable. They said gold platted connections only make a small difference. Whats important is how shelded the cable is. Monster seems pretty good at this. Especially compared to my old one. I haven't had a chance to play a lot of guitar with the new cable. One concern i had was that it boosted mid-range way to much.
Thanks for your help-
Do you all feel that monster rock cables alter the signal too much? I can't really tell if it does and does not.