when i do something like this:

B|-7-10-9-10-8-11-10-11-7-10-9-10-6-9-8-9-|

1  4  3  4  1  4  3  4  1 4 3  4 1 4 3 4

i use these fingers: index, ring, pinky on fretting hand
(1= index, 3=ring, 4=pinky, respectively)

when i play this, all 8th notes, at just about any bpm, my middle finger will move up and down, almost like its waving at the fretboard.

when the pinky is fretting, it points upwards, when the ring is being used, it goes down again.

is there a way i can control this, or is it a reflex im going to have to train by pretty much starting over and playing that excersice and similar one slowly, watching my finger and making sure it doesnt do this?
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Last edited by Colton165 at Jan 14, 2009,
Practice it very slowly, and concentrate on not moving your ring finger. It will take a while to retrain your hand.

If you teach your muscles proper technique when you play slowly, they should continue the habit when you play fast.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Last edited by Guitartist at Jan 15, 2009,
It is a reflex you're going to have to train by pretty much starting over and playing that excersice and similar one slowly, watching my finger and making sure it doesnt do this.
starting completely over playing totally or just playing things i like slower?

like, am i gonna have to play Zeppelin and Hendrix all over again, and not just slowed Dream Theater?
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Quote by Colton165

like, am i gonna have to play Zeppelin and Hendrix all over again, and not just slowed Dream Theater?

i wouldnt really worry about it. everyone does that to some extent.
Quote by Colton165

Nah, it's really a matter of taking some time every day and focusing on finger independence, like 20 mins a day, every day, and all your playing will improve.

Check the vid on it in my YT.
I have similar issues with my middle finger moving. One exercise that has helped me actually stems from the perfect pull-off exercises, where you pull your finger down to the next string instead of off the fretboard. imagine if you did a middle to index (2 1) pull off and then kept your middle finger resting on the lower string (e string in your case). try to do your exercise with the middle resting on the lower string like that. I'm not saying you should always keep that position, but this will at least promote individual finger movement. hope that helps