I've been playing guitar now for around a year and a half, both steel string acoustic and electric. I'm a big fan of Martins for my acoustic and up until recently I've been using D'addario 9s on my electric. I developed callouses pretty quickly after I began playing and I rarely go more than a day or 2 without playing so I've never had them soften up on me. A friend of mine, who happens to use Ernie Ball strings, suggested I give em a try. I had nothing to lose so I went out, bought a set, strung my guitar up, and got to playing. This was a week and a half ago, and now my fingertips have peeled more in the last week then they did over the last 6 months. I've managed to scrape off a good 2-3 layers of skin and I'm probably close to breaking skin entirely. My friend suggested it might be because of how much I've been playing, but I've played for longer on my acoustic and for longer with D'addarios and have never begun to peel as much as I have using these strings. Were they wound to tightly? Am I allergic to them or something? I like the sound I'm getting but I don't know if I want to sacrifice my fingers for it.

Anyone have an idea of what might be causing this?
Perhaps you changed gauge and you didn't notice, and as a result your string tension increased.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The price of greatness...Enjoy
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
I have the receipt for them still sitting here on my desk, double checking they were definitely 9s =/
Taking a bath or soaking your hands will cause this. It is not the strings. I can't count how many times I've had my finger tips peel. Its normal, get used to it.
Maybe because it's cold out and your hands are drying up? Or to prevent this, you're putting lotion on your hands, which ruins calluses.

Either way, it's the weather's fault
Quote by Sin City Sid
Taking a bath or soaking your hands will cause this. It is not the strings. I can't count how many times I've had my finger tips peel. Its normal, get used to it.

i actually like when they peel. it lets me know i'm practicing enough
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster Electric Guitar Ash
Bugera 333XL 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby >> Korg Pitchblack Tuner >> MXR Carbon Copy >> Boss DS-1
All that I can say, is I've noticed with my finger tips I used to have thick callouses, now I don't have callouses it's like.... my fingers are tougher than the strings but not all rough.

I would worry only if it starts to hurt.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Once you develop callouses, try not to lose them. I play bass and I have large bloody callouses on my picking hand most of the time.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Once you develop callouses, try not to lose them. I play bass and I have large bloody callouses on my picking hand most of the time.

Well between my job (I wear lots of latex gloves... which make sweating like a mofo a daily experience) and this weird condition where callouses don't last more than a few weeks (at most.) I am pretty **** out of luck with your logic.

I stand on my point, if it doesn't hurt. Stop worrying.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Once you start bleeding on the strings, you know you're on the road to greatness.

Nah, but just cause you fingers look torn up, it's fine. Mine always do. You won't lose your fingers.