Page 1 of 2
How often do you include slapping and popping into your music? It seems like every bassist around my age that ive met can slap like a motha *&^%$, but its rare that i see any kids who can do something like make a melody. It seems like slap and bass are one and the same. Personally slapping is pretty sparse in anything i come up with, only if im trying to make something sound more "danceable" i guess. But im just curious to see if theres something wrong with me
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
When I play bass I never slap, its not my style. I don't like overused slap, but it's okay when its tasteful yet interesting.
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
i do if i'm playing funk stuff, besides that i don't use it much

if someone i'm jamming with plays a lame 3-chord rock progression i'll usually come up with a complex line around it, often including slapping/popping
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
i hardly ever slap. this is largely because i suck at it and have never put in the time to develop my technique. but i've found as far as playing with other people goes, slap isn't often what best suits the music. if it's somebody's style and they do it well, then good for them. but i don't like the kids in guitar center who slap as fast they can without much music to it.
^^not necessarily helpful.
Quote by the humanity

think pokemon
Pete Wentz sig reaches level 32, it evolves into Mark Hoppus bass.
Mark Hoppus bass uses tone knob!
it's super unneffective!
Only after I've told her twice

....ouch. Surely, I jest!

I do a lot of slapping on my own and whilst practicing, but my music really can't apply it, so I keep it at home.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Jan 15, 2009,
When ever I play jazz or funk stuff I slap and pop. Or I'll just get a chord progression in my head, figure out the scales, and jam out.

Quote by mountaindew88
Only after I've told her twice

....ouch.

Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
Quote by mountaindew88
I do a lot of slapping on my own

Excuse me, I'm just going to quote you out of context...
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
Never. I don't like it, and I'm just not fluid enough to do it it well.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
I use it when the music Calls for it.

Just like, I'll pick when the music calls for it.

"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
i use at as tiny little fills or in my bass solos aside from that hardly ever
Keep On Keepen' On
I've slapped three times for "covers" and once on my own
all of which were basically root-fifth-octave type deals
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I've been playing for over seven years, but I just never got the feel of slap. I can imitate a few lines and sometimes improvise a bit of slap and pop into a fill or groove, but it's not really my style.
Quote by watchingmefall
I'm a tapper, not a slapper.

So, practically... Never. I can do it, I just hate it.

Ever since i heard Moonlight Sonata tapped, ive been pretty much the same Plus tapping is a way to show off some chops and impress ignorant musicians while still staying melodic.
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
Usually when my fingers are tired. I haven't exactly refined my slapping technique though, but once in a while I'll give it a go.
Hi.
slap for required songs. and for the song i feel fit best with it. i slap in funk as well. slapping comes hard to me though cause i play a right handed bass like a lefty.... so i had to develope my own form of slapping.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Quote by ZaccB
I use it when the music Calls for it.

Just like, I'll pick when the music calls for it.

this.

it rarely calls, fingerstyle is way better when looking for the funk. when it calls for octaves, that is when you want it. octaves sound great slapped.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by 24fRETSoFfURY
Not often. I have a little slap solo in one of my bands songs but I never really bothered with the technique much.
Now two hand tapping, that's where it's at!

it really is, fills are so much easier with that.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
My slap skills are um...yeah...I can play about three Primus songs and a few Ohio players songs. I am really more of fingerstyle funk player and tend to use slap rather sparsely in my own bass lines.

I really need to brush up on my slap skills.
Quote by anarkee
My slap skills are um...yeah...I can play about three Primus songs and a few Ohio players songs. I am really more of fingerstyle funk player and tend to use slap rather sparsely in my own bass lines.

I really need to brush up on my slap skills.

Speaking of finger-style funk, i dont suppose you could recommend some tracks? Im trying to work on my groove a bit, and it couldnt hurt to listen to something new
Quote by thefitz
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
Speaking of finger-style funk, i dont suppose you could recommend some tracks? Im trying to work on my groove a bit, and it couldnt hurt to listen to something new

I'm a huge fan of Roccio Prestia, so most of his work in Tower of Power is great. Also check out George Porter Jr and anything by the Meters (Hand clapping and Sissy Strut). I also love the Bamboos. And check out early Commodores and James Brown.

That should keep your fingers moving for a while, lol.
i slap quite alot but i barely pop, i dont really use the two toghter. In most band practise settings ill use fingerstly, and use pops to accentuate notes no and again. Other wise i just slap at home and evreything else when im out.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I do it a bit when I'm noodling around, but I never do it while playing a show. I can think of maybe once where I used a pop.
Nope, no sig here.
I might slap and pop for fun for 5 seconds, but I have never, ever slapped in a song. I've popped a few times, but never done the full-on slap/pop thing.

However, I do play Higher Ground a lot. My friend somewhat challenged me to learn that bass line. He played it for me on YouTube. I picked up my bass and IMMEDIATELY played the first bit after hearing it just once... I mean, it's 1-3-4 of E minor with octave pops... So I play it whenever I want to taunt my friend.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I'll mess about with it when I'm bored but I stay away from it in songs.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by CBurtonIsKing

I'm really digging chic, check out good times (also used for rappers delight, by the sugarhill gang) and everybody dance for some seriously awesome groove.

Bernard Edwards is fast becoming my favourite bassist.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
I don't pop much, but I slap quite a bit, mainly the double thumb technique, on my own in my solo compositions. But I don't really slap and pop much in a band situation, I'm more of a tapper mainly.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Last edited by fleajr_1412 at Jan 16, 2009,
I usually slap when my guitarist turns my amp down, so I can still be heard; It pisses me off that he it's a trio, and yet I'm still not heard.....
Quote by watchingmefall
I'm a tapper, not a slapper.

So, practically... Never. I can do it, I just hate it.

Tapping FTW! I can't really slap. And don't play anything where it is applicable.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

I play in a noise rock band, and when things start getting fast and heavy I always start slapping the (edit) 'flip' out of it, but it's generally just fifths and octaves around the root note the guitar is playing.

Plus I'm on a massive Stevie Wonder kick at the moment, so it's all about the slap.
Last edited by Casketcreep at Jan 15, 2009,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4HnTSYvJWc&feature=related

If i could slap like this guy does on the first part of the vid i might decide to slap during songs. (I say the first part because near the end ...well ... i dont see its application in a band context at all and its just ridiculous)

However, the only song i can really slap in is still Higher ground, so no i dont slap.

I can tap though, seems like theres quite a few in this thread that favor tapping to slapping.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
im absolutely horrible at slapping, it just never came to me. i tried my ass off to learn it and i couldnt ever get the hang of it, but its not really needed as it really wouldnt fit my band situation much
Not an awful lot of point for me, but I don't play much serious funk (more try and incorporate the rhythms into other songs) and have yet to write an original that would benefit from it.
I slap alot when practicing, but I am not confident enough with my skills in it to use it in a writing session.
Quote by Thegian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4HnTSYvJWc&feature=related

If i could slap like this guy does on the first part of the vid i might decide to slap during songs. (I say the first part because near the end ...well ... i dont see its application in a band context at all and its just ridiculous)

However, the only song i can really slap in is still Higher ground, so no i dont slap.

I can tap though, seems like theres quite a few in this thread that favor tapping to slapping.

after level two it just started sounding like rubbish lol
Page 1 of 2