I wanted to start recording songs on my computer that didn't sound crappy. And I was wondering if anyone knew any recording equipment that was cheap, and worked well. If I had to choose something to put at the top of my list, it would be a microphone for an acoustic. Or a cord or some setup I can connect to my computer to plug my guitar into and get professional sound. The microphone is more important to me though. I'm also looking for money savers, as in 2 for 1 packages or something. (Like, I saw a microphone for the guitar and it had one for the acoustic, and one for me to sing in) I'M WILLING TO SAVE UP AS MUCH AS I NEED TO MAKE A SMALL RECORDING STUDIO, and I need to know how much I should save up to get good, quality gear. I'll probably sell some crap if I need more money.

Thanks.
Last edited by superubercool at Jan 15, 2009,
Buy yourself a burger. You can't buy anything at a guitar shop with 20 bucks unless if they're picks.
Quote by joshua122593
Buy yourself a burger. You can't buy anything at a guitar shop with 20 bucks unless if they're picks.

$20!? Better be the best freaking burger I've ever eaten. I think you got robbed.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Quote by joshua122593

Not sure if you saw the part about raising more money. And I've seen plenty of good microphones for under $20. Besides, I'm only 15 and don't have a job.
Microphones are not cheap, I'll tell you that much. I mean, a good vocal mic, like a Shure SM58, those are pretty cheap around 100$, but they run with an XLR cable so they wont go direct to your computer. If you have a Mac they make a cheap USB cable that you can plug your guitar into and go direct, and the quality is decent for the price. It's on the Apple store. I'm sure they have them for PC as well. Recording equipment is not cheap either, but depending on what exactly you plan to do you can probably find some used equipment at a decent price on craigslist or something....
It's kind of difficult to say because it all depends on what you plan to do and how much you're willing to spend.
Quote by tonedeafidiot
Twenty? Save B4 asking the pit.

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT I SHOULD SAVE UP FOR BEFORE I GO THROWING MY MONEY AROUND!! I'm not going to just save up a crapload of money that I could have been using to buy other things I need as well.
Save your money, Any Mic that's 20$ will not do well. When you do get the money, buy a condenser mic, prefect for home recording for any natural sounding instruments (Acoustic guitar, Piano, Hand held Percussion, Vocals etc.)
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by monkeyguitar78
Microphones are not cheap, I'll tell you that much. I mean, a good vocal mic, like a Shure SM58, those are pretty cheap around 100$, but they run with an XLR cable so they wont go direct to your computer. If you have a Mac they make a cheap USB cable that you can plug your guitar into and go direct, and the quality is decent for the price. It's on the Apple store. I'm sure they have them for PC as well. Recording equipment is not cheap either, but depending on what exactly you plan to do you can probably find some used equipment at a decent price on craigslist or something....
It's kind of difficult to say because it all depends on what you plan to do and how much you're willing to spend.

I plan to save up however much I can get from either doing misc. jobs, or selling stuff. This isn't going to put into immediate effect, so I'm in no hurry. I plan on doing something in the summer (as long as the economy hasn't been completly demolished by that time.)
Blue Snowball USB Mic.

I just got one on Amazon.com for like $80 something.

Plugs directly into the computer, no software to install at all. I use audacity to record with it.
Quote by Altoidwithmelon
Hambonicus, that was epic with a side of win

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

Proud member of the "I don't believe in global warming clan".
Quote by Hambonicus
Blue Snowball USB Mic.

I just got one on Amazon.com for like $80 something.

Plugs directly into the computer, no software to install at all. I use audacity to record with it.

I looked it up on youtube and looked at the prices I saw. It sounds incredible, it's affordable, and it can be used for voice AND Acoustic. Thanks man.