Just put up a Classic Rock Improv in Am on my profile.

First ever improv I recorded and I'm more of a metal player, but it's decent in my opinion.

If you have issues with the mp3 on my profile here is a link to it streaming:

Link

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
that was pretty sweet how the drums and the lead faded in and out, then it was all chill for a couple measures, then you came back in. I can see this as an intro if it is shortened a bit. What did you use for the backing track? sounded really good. If you continue with this, send me a message or something cuz it sounds sweet!

if you can, can you crit my new song?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1042792
thanks!
Police were called to a daycare where a three-year-old was resisting a rest.
Thanks for listening.

I used jamcenter.com for the backing track.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
I like it. Pretty good. There where a couple bends that where a bit out of tune. And if you are just starting playing in this style try using more double stops, and the bending of double stops, I like them anyways. But yea, just work on getting used to the style more. Overall good work, and I like how you stoped and came in really abrubtly at the begining of the bar, sounded cool. just fix the bending
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by ripple07
I like it. Pretty good. There where a couple bends that where a bit out of tune. And if you are just starting playing in this style try using more double stops, and the bending of double stops, I like them anyways. But yea, just work on getting used to the style more. Overall good work, and I like how you stoped and came in really abrubtly at the begining of the bar, sounded cool. just fix the bending

I was going for more of a melodic feel so I didn't think the double stops would fit but I will work on that. And I should have had a target note to bend to, I just bent the notes to some imaginary pitch.

Thanks for the tips. I will work on it.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Necrophagist777
I was going for more of a melodic feel so I didn't think the double stops would fit but I will work on that. And I should have had a target note to bend to, I just bent the notes to some imaginary pitch.

Thanks for the tips. I will work on it.

I see what you mean with the melodic feel, good point. And when bending note a nice thing to do is bend into the blue note, if you know what i mean, or doing a two step bend to the tonic note of the song, makes it sound like the guitar is screaming, ecspescialy when the progression is just turning around. But yea, pay attention to guys like hendrix and notice what note they chose to bend. Hendrix loves bending into the tonic.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by ripple07
I see what you mean with the melodic feel, good point. And when bending note a nice thing to do is bend into the blue note, if you know what i mean, or doing a two step bend to the tonic note of the song, makes it sound like the guitar is screaming, ecspescialy when the progression is just turning around. But yea, pay attention to guys like hendrix and notice what note they chose to bend. Hendrix loves bending into the tonic.

Good tips

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
That was really good. Was there a second guitar, or was that you doing the parts where the soloing stopped for awhile? Also, are you planing on using this for a song? It has a nice rhythm to it, so it could work. If you don't mind, I have one on here called "Pop-Punk Bass Song". It's a little boring, but I'd appreciate feedback.
Quote by herby190
That was really good. Was there a second guitar, or was that you doing the parts where the soloing stopped for awhile? Also, are you planing on using this for a song? It has a nice rhythm to it, so it could work. If you don't mind, I have one on here called "Pop-Punk Bass Song". It's a little boring, but I'd appreciate feedback.

I will listen to it.

And the second guitar was just the backing track. I just did the lead parts.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Work on your bends a bit, and some of your improved licks were a little awkward i thought, timming was a little issue too at one spot but all in all this wasnt bad, you should come up with softer leads to do during the softer portions of the backing track.
I Love Jamcenter.com im always just sitting around jamming out to the tracks. may i ask how were you able to upload the tracks?

For the solo, the basic idea is there for the solo, but the bends were sorta bland and out of pitch. when im doing something like that, as long as you know your in the right key i sometimes try to keep on holding the note or bending it more until i hit the note in the chord progression. About bends, you got to try and bend the note to the correct pitch. its a good start, and its good to record your improvising, bc in a couple of months your going to be able to c how much you have improved. keep on rockin'

check out the little improv vid in my sig?
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
Thanks for all the tips guys. I've never really practiced my bending and vibrato.

But on your guys advice I have been watching some lessons on bending to pitch and practicing it all night tonight and I can already see a difference

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Last edited by Necrophagist777 at Jan 16, 2009,
Sounds good But as mentioned you need to think a little about bends and vibrato, i remember forgetting those things myself, paul gilbert has some awsome tips on how to improve it in guitars from mars, u can probably find it on youtube But good job dude! check this out now, https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=981578&page=1&pp=20 crit mine?
Quote by Satriani_is_God
Sounds good But as mentioned you need to think a little about bends and vibrato, i remember forgetting those things myself, paul gilbert has some awsome tips on how to improve it in guitars from mars, u can probably find it on youtube But good job dude! check this out now, https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=981578&page=1&pp=20 crit mine?

That was amazing man! Some of my favorite stuff I've heard from a UG member. I could listen to that all day.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Necrophagist777
Thanks for all the tips guys. I've never really practiced my bending and vibrato.

But on your guys advice I have been watching some lessons on bending to pitch and practicing it all night tonight and I can already see a difference

Good news!

Vibrato in my opinion is what makes all the diference. Work on using it whenever you have enough time on the note. With vibrato there are a few ways to go about it (methods that I have come across anyways).

When you plant your finger and move it back and forth while your finger tip stays in place (if that makes sense)

You can also do "bends" back and forth (not quite a bend, but just wavering around the note you are playing)

And also a method where you hold the note and literaly shake the neck of the guitar while your hand is in a fixed position (slow circular shakes, or fast, whatever ). Try doing all these methods at the same time and your notes will come alive. One way to get the muscle memory down is to have your amp on high gain and do vibrato until a harmonic sounds (listen to the intro of foxy lady). If you can do that while having a relaxed hand you're on your way to good vibrato
Quote by Gabel
Quote by ripple07
Good news!

Vibrato in my opinion is what makes all the diference. Work on using it whenever you have enough time on the note. With vibrato there are a few ways to go about it (methods that I have come across anyways).

When you plant your finger and move it back and forth while your finger tip stays in place (if that makes sense)

You can also do "bends" back and forth (not quite a bend, but just wavering around the note you are playing)

And also a method where you hold the note and literaly shake the neck of the guitar while your hand is in a fixed position (slow circular shakes, or fast, whatever ). Try doing all these methods at the same time and your notes will come alive. One way to get the muscle memory down is to have your amp on high gain and do vibrato until a harmonic sounds (listen to the intro of foxy lady). If you can do that while having a relaxed hand you're on your way to good vibrato

Thanks for the tips.

Sometimes in my head it feels like I'm getting a decent amount of vibrato but then I listen to the recording and it's not there. I just need to not be afraid to shake the crap out of that string.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Necrophagist777
Thanks for the tips.

Sometimes in my head it feels like I'm getting a decent amount of vibrato but then I listen to the recording and it's not there. I just need to not be afraid to shake the crap out of that string.

Thats good. Alot of people don't even know what they want to sound like. Make yourself conscious of it and the improvement will imediatley follow.
Quote by Gabel
As everyone above said, work on your bending and vibrato.
I know it's boring but it's essential to do some bend/vibraot excercises in your practice routine.
Besides that, try to learn some more boxes and combine them to one shape in which you can move around without creating a box feel. It sounded like you just used one box and moved up and down in it. A good ideas is to try isolating 3 notes or so and just jam using them, then move to some other shape and do something different. It's hard to not sound repetive though.
You did have some good ideas but definatly have to do some work, I know how hard it is to start improvising though.
Keep it up.

Here's a pick gnome polka for you to c4c:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1045083
Last edited by Evil_Magician at Jan 16, 2009,
As other people have said, some of the bends were a bit off and there was a lack of much vibrato. Other than that I'd say listen to some blues players like eric clapton for some decent classic rock phrasing ideas, as there is a lot of crossover between the 2 genres. Also, if you're going for a more melodic feel, try throwing a bit more legato into the mix, as it really improves the feel and flow of a solo or lead guitar fill.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1047461 crit please?
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Evil_Magician
As everyone above said, work on your bending and vibrato.
I know it's boring but it's essential to do some bend/vibraot excercises in your practice routine.
Besides that, try to learn some more boxes and combine them to one shape in which you can move around without creating a box feel. It sounded like you just used one box and moved up and down in it. A good ideas is to try isolating 3 notes or so and just jam using them, then move to some other shape and do something different. It's hard to not sound repetive though.
You did have some good ideas but definatly have to do some work, I know how hard it is to start improvising though.
Keep it up.

Here's a pick gnome polka for you to c4c:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1045083

I used 3 boxes.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
"It sounded like you just used one box and moved up and down in it."

You might have used 3 boxes but it didn't sound like there was alot of change.
As I said before, just try to develop some solid ideas and try to variate them through the solo. It's always good if there's something really recognisable in a solo.
Quote by Evil_Magician
"It sounded like you just used one box and moved up and down in it."

You might have used 3 boxes but it didn't sound like there was alot of change.
As I said before, just try to develop some solid ideas and try to variate them through the solo. It's always good if there's something really recognisable in a solo.

I agree, it's all good, I'm not very verse in this type of playing. So it's good to get some ideas from you guys.

I know as I keep working on bending in pitch and vibrato that it will help a lot, because those are basics that I have missed in the learning process. Playing Cannibal Corpse songs doesn't really help you practice minor third bends

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Definatly dude.
I had that same problem.
I overlooked bending and vibrato thinking "Hey it's just basic techniques, I don't need to work on it". It took alot of time to fully learn it and make it sound good. Vibrato is something that develops through experience. There are some exceptions like Kirk Hammet but I won't go there...
Had alot of debates on that topic.....
Quote by Evil_Magician
Definatly dude.
I had that same problem.
I overlooked bending and vibrato thinking "Hey it's just basic techniques, I don't need to work on it". It took alot of time to fully learn it and make it sound good. Vibrato is something that develops through experience. There are some exceptions like Kirk Hammet but I won't go there...
Had alot of debates on that topic.....

Kirk Hammet does WAHbrato not vibrato

Got a new clip up if you don't mind checking it out. I think I took your advice and improved this lick a lot.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18192511#post18192511

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Last edited by Necrophagist777 at Jan 17, 2009,