Does anyone know of a private or commercial site of electric &/or acoustic guitar pickup recordings database of audio samples for comparisons?
It would be very useful to have the same player, thru the same amp, with the same strings, playing the same few parts... with many different pickups installed on various bodies/woods.
I'm not aware of one, but most companies have their own previews of the pickup sounds, plus most companies are aware that people are looking for quality and therefore they don't use too many effects or anything on the amps.

But, you could try youtube or something like that.

Hope that helps (and I hope you can understand it too, I'm pretty tired and that first paragraph took me a while to make it semi-understandable).
seymour duncan has that on their website, but obviously only for SD pickups. they play the same peice with equal settings, and i think with high/low gain + neck/bridge setups.
Quote by SpeedLives
seymour duncan has that on their website, but obviously only for SD pickups. they play the same peice with equal settings, and i think with high/low gain + neck/bridge setups.

Yea, thanks... but I'd like to hear the same pickups in different bodies... like a P-90 in a LP... then in a strat body... etc.
I'm trying to find (or hear really) how much the body would/does effect the sound and if I can hear major differences.
All other things being equal.. strings.. player.. .amp.
netmusicians.org

a bunch of people contribute clips and list what gear they used to get it.

you can sort it by amp, guitar, pickups, mic, cab etc so you can see how a pickup will react in different situations.

it's not exactly what you're looking for but it's better than nothing.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by generate
Yea, thanks... but I'd like to hear the same pickups in different bodies... like a P-90 in a LP... then in a strat body... etc.
I'm trying to find (or hear really) how much the body would/does effect the sound and if I can hear major differences.
All other things being equal.. strings.. player.. .amp.

oh no.

not the 'wood's influence on tone' war again.

If that's your question, It's been communally agreed that Wood makes very little difference in tone, as opposed to amps + effects.

^this guy has a cool idea, try that out.

I thought you were looking for a database where you could plug in and it'd emulate each pickup in each body... But that sounds like something you'd buy a Line 6 Variax for...
------

Shwiggity.
The reason I got started on this is that I bought a junker 70's Japanese bass at a flea market.
It has flat wounds and had has a great warm tone from a funky old pickup.
the neck is too far gone though, so before I pay someone money to put that pickup in another bass, I wanted to know.... " if most other things are the same (player, strings amp, ... and this old pickup...) how close to the sound of that old junker would I achieve?" So the neck, body, nut, bridge & wiring would be different actually. But I don't want to pay the money, and then have it not come close.
Attachments:
Bass_Japanese70s2.jpg
Bass_Japanese70spickup2.jpg
Last edited by generate at Jan 16, 2009,