I've played guitar for a few years and I'm decent but nothing exceptional. I was reading an article saying that taking lessons was a good way to improve, and I've been looking but there are not many teachers available in my area. I found some online lessons, the one main one was by Tom Hess. Are online lessons/ lessons at all a valid way to learn? What is good on the internet?
try this guy

justinguitar.com

not private, but its free

the guy is awesome and explains stuff really well...
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
Private lessons will definetly help you improve, if you find a good teacher that is. As for online lessons, just google whatever you are wanting to learn, or go to youtube. There are tons of free lessons out there.
Quote by tele432
Private lessons will definetly help you improve, if you find a good teacher that is. As for online lessons, just google whatever you are wanting to learn, or go to youtube. There are tons of free lessons out there.

Tons of free lessons but lots of garbage out there.

I'll second the recommendation for www.justinguitar.com. He does an excellent job of explaining everything thoroughly and puts a lot of emphasis into using proper technique.
2002 Muddy Waters Fender Telecaser (MIM) (w/ Bill Lawrence pickups & black matte pickguard)
2006 Ibanez sz520qm (w/ Grover tuners)
Epiphone DR-100

Traynor YCV50-Blue
Toneport GX / Ampltube 2