I hereby dedicate this thread to learning tap guitar, like the stuff on August rush, and I believe played by guitarists such as andy mckee.

But not certain songs, but rather style, exercises, and technique.

------------------

disclaimer: i don't know ANY another reason I made this thread - I'd like to learn and would like to be able to ask questions...

if none of you know... i guess that's fine.. I'll just have to subscribe to some pay site or something.
Quote by redking14ca
I hereby dedicate this thread to learning tap guitar, like the stuff on August rush, and I believe played by guitarists such as andy mckee.

...and Kaki King, Michael Hedges, Stanley Jordan, Rodrigo y Gabriella and so many other virtuosos.

1) To do it properly, you really have to have an excellent understanding of your neck- in whatever tunings you use. It would be so easy to lose track of your song's structure, otherwise. IOW, you'll need to know your scales intimately.

2) Along with that, you'll need to know your harmonics, both natural and otherwise.

3) Many of those guitarists use classical and/or flamenco techniques of knocking on the body of the guitar to achieve certain percussive effects. I'd check into instruction in those styles.

4) Forget your pick. All or almost all of the techniques you'll be using will be fingerstyle.

5) Practice. A lot.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
So when tapping notes and holding them on the higher frets I get a horrible harmonic sound in their as well unless I mute behind the string with my other hand which is fairly restrictive. I'm geussing its because the action is quite high and I'm using medium lights, not sure if there's many ways of doing this but any help in getting a cleaner sound would be appreciated.
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
Quote by renegade2031
So when tapping notes and holding them on the higher frets I get a horrible harmonic sound in their as well unless I mute behind the string with my other hand which is fairly restrictive. I'm geussing its because the action is quite high and I'm using medium lights, not sure if there's many ways of doing this but any help in getting a cleaner sound would be appreciated.

This happens to everyone, no matter the action, though it may or may not make it worse, I honestly don't know. it does seem however that the thicker the string the worse the sound becomes, because the heavier strings are inherently louder, the sound from the other side of the string becomes louder. A way to deal with this is to find on all strings what the highest fret you can tap from open to not get that sound (or with the sound soft enough that it won't matter) and whenever you go above that fret hold your finger down to dampen the other side of the string, or hold a fret right below it so that the string is tightened behind it (like you are going to do a pull off to it)

Honestly I don't know how all the candyrat/percussive players don't get a TON of those sounds all over the place, but they limit it somehow...it is not, however, completely gone. There is a McKee video, a dufour video, and a live performance of Tommy Emanuel where I heard the sound, so it isn't completely gone even when they play.
Thats what impresses me about the Candyrat lot the most, not all the techniques used but how clean they can get the tone.

Thanks for the help anyway, I geuss its just practicing muting the string on the otherside to get the right sound.
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
It takes a ton of practice brother. But it is all worth it! I've been playing fingerstyle for close to 3 years now and I love it. I've learned so much from it and it has opened up so many doors for me in my future with music.

Just take your time, practice, and know that it doesn't come over night. You have to develop correct form, learn the guitar neck so much that you can play with your eyes closed, learn a lot of scales, harmonics, being able to play a bass and a melody part, be able to play 2 different things with both hands, and so much more.

Good luck!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by redking14ca
theres just something about that jennifer batten lady that makes me raging angry..

????

I haven't heard anything featuring tap bassist Steve Nishimura, but I found an instrument he plays on Veillette guitars' website, under their "custom instruments" header...its a 14.8lb, 9-string monster.

http://www.veilletteguitars.com/

And then there is Jean Baudin and his 11-string...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mui7_xsGrKc

Quote by Silverstein14
being able to play a bass and a melody part, be able to play 2 different things with both hands, and so much more.

this is the part i really struggle with.