I've written a few sets of lyrics and have learned my share of theory, and now I want to
start writing my own songs. I just want to ask what is the most efficient way to create my own original tunes/riffs/progressions and those things. I mean, how do I know what chord sounds good with what lyrical note? I can play around with the chords but that will take up too much time. Do I need to learn another part of theory? Do I need to learn more scales (I already know the basics and what not) or should I like, study each sound of each chord?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.
Think of how you would like your song to sound, the underlying rhythm. Think if you'd like 3 or 4 chords in the verse to sing over. Then compose your song as such without singing. Find a cool progression and jam along to it. After that comes the most important, the chorus. Decide if you'd like 3 or 4 chords on that too and create the biggest hook you can. The most catchy would be your best bet. Now put them together and work with your lyrics... see if you need to alter the dynamics in the verse and how long it needs to stretch for. Also work on your vocal phrasing so that its not too clinical or robotic sounding. Make it flow.

I'd preferably start working on the chorus sound and its hook before moving to the verse.

Hope this helps, good luck
lol. It's not that I'm in a rush or anything like that.
It just takes me too long to come up with something.
Usually a few days. Sometimes weeks.
I just wanted to know how you do it.

Oh. And I need to finish at least one of my band's compositions
before our cultural day (Feb. 27)
Because we are performing.