Hey. Was considering to change pickups on my Ibanez RG350EX. I want to get a better clean, and a smoother more soloing lead. I play progressive rock - Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Rush, Flower Kings, Neal Morse stuff, all through a Bugera 333XL 212, also with a Line 6 Floor Pod.

Any suggestions on what pickups I should change, and what I should change them with?

neck pu INF3 (H) neck pu
middle pu INFS3 (S) mid pu
bridge pu INF4 (H) bridge pu
Member of Bugera Users Militia
- Ibanez JPM P3 (John Petrucci Signature)
- Bugera 333XL 212
- MXR Phase 90 EVH
- Electro Harmonix Memory Boy
First of all you listen to great music lol, just wanted to point that out.

Anyways a little while ago I changed the pickups on my Jackson SL3 because I wanted to sound like the same bands you do. I put a Dimarzio Evolution 2 in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck. It has been perfect for prog stuff, yet is also very versatile. I would definitely suggest an Air Norton in the neck, it is the pickup Petrucci uses in his neck position, and creates a great clean prog tone. Those would be my suggestions.
My Gear:
Custom Fender 62' Reissue Strat
Carvin Custom Shop DC400T
Jackson SL3 Soloist
Fender Super-Sonic 112
Boss GT-10

Quote by XianXiuHong
000-000-000-000-000
PM------------------------

You can now play every Slayer song.
Quote by bagrm
First of all you listen to great music lol, just wanted to point that out.

Anyways a little while ago I changed the pickups on my Jackson SL3 because I wanted to sound like the same bands you do. I put a Dimarzio Evolution 2 in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck. It has been perfect for prog stuff, yet is also very versatile. I would definitely suggest an Air Norton in the neck, it is the pickup Petrucci uses in his neck position, and creates a great clean prog tone. Those would be my suggestions.

oh, thank you very much x) Yeah... if Petrucci uses it that's good enough reason for me to get'em xP You know the price for 'em?
- Bugera 333XL 212
- MXR Phase 90 EVH
Air Norton neck and Tone Zone in the bridge. OR Seymour Duncan SH-1 in the neck and a SH-4 JB in the bridge. Go to the DiMarzio website, there is a link on the bottom right hand corner that calculates what you need to get.
No, but the Evo 2 is pretty expensive. I want to say I paid 120 dollars. You can look them up on musiciansfriend or some other website. Like WantzChas I would say go with an Air Norton in the neck and whatever you feel looks good in the bridge.
My Gear:
Custom Fender 62' Reissue Strat
Carvin Custom Shop DC400T
Jackson SL3 Soloist
Fender Super-Sonic 112
Boss GT-10

Quote by XianXiuHong
000-000-000-000-000
PM------------------------

You can now play every Slayer song.
ok, thank you guys - and one more thing: can I change them myself? I got a friend that knows alot about guitars and amps, and been playing for many many years. You think he is able to do it? Or is it really tricky.. can't imagine it is
- Bugera 333XL 212
- MXR Phase 90 EVH
According to the Pickup Calculator Air Norton is the best for me :P 2nd: PAF Joe, and 3rd: Breed Neck
- Bugera 333XL 212
- MXR Phase 90 EVH
if you know how to solder then it shouldn't be a problem. if your friend has done pick ups before then it shouldn't be a problem for him.
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
okey - yeah, know how to solder, but not too well. But .. I just have to solder some wires?
- Bugera 333XL 212
- MXR Phase 90 EVH
You just solder them onto the volume, tone and pickup selecter. Not really that hard if you have soldered before.
Quote by WantzChas
You just solder them onto the volume, tone and pickup selecter. Not really that hard if you have soldered before.

okey, thanks
- Bugera 333XL 212
- MXR Phase 90 EVH