I know I'll get flamed and stoned for this, but what the effin hell, why not.

I have a standard Fender trem, and I've played Floyd's. Frankly I don't see the point. The only detuning I get is a slight bit on the high E you'd only notice on an open chord, that you could move the right hand up and retune on a sustain. And that's only on heavy multiple-divebomb-in-ten-seconds usage. Plus it overcomplicates restringing. They seem like a gimmick to me, why are locking trems so praised?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jan 15, 2009,
Because however you paint it, retuning is a pain in the arse. Floyds also hold tuning better than most hardtails.
The range is also much greater.

And can't Fender trems only go down in pitch?
Last edited by Delanoir at Jan 15, 2009,
As for stringing, i slide the string through the machine heads, with the ball end there.

Frankly it makes restringing so much easier, for me anyway. Plus, once you get it set up, it can stay in tune for aaaages and withstand a lot of punishment from heavy usage.

You've got a really well set up strat if anything :P
Wow, not as much flame as I thought...

Quote by webbtje
Because however you paint it, retuning is a pain in the arse. Floyds also hold tuning better than most hardtails.

True, but come restringing time I personally think it's worth it. Also when switching tunings.

Quote by Delanoir
The range is also much greater.

And can't Fender trems only go down in pitch?

True.

That's how I have mine set, but you can set a Fender trem to go both. It messes with the tuning though, and frankly I didn't hear much difference between that and a bend(Not "whammy without a whammy bar" kid-style, but I really don't see the advantage of that much unless your Steve Vai or someone of similar wankery).

Quote by Ratfish
As for stringing, i slide the string through the machine heads, with the ball end there.

Frankly it makes restringing so much easier, for me anyway. Plus, once you get it set up, it can stay in tune for aaaages and withstand a lot of punishment from heavy usage.

You've got a really well set up strat if anything :P

Hmm...clever.

Hmm...how well does it sustain?

XD Well, it's had three previous owners and six years of use, there's been plenty of time for most kinks to be fixed.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
*flames* incase u felt left out :P
tbh i have a guitar with hardtail bridge strat style and an ibanez rg570...with an edge.
the main reason I have it is because its bloody stable with tuning and yea its a pain to sort out when a string goes etc, but i would prefer that and minor adjustments..to having to retune everything.

i do know what you are saying, my pacifica seemed to stay in tune after diving..even quite far!! but still had problems in the long run, such as the screws ripping thru the wood after a few too many dives :P
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
Quote by necrosis1193

True.

That's how I have mine set, but you can set a Fender trem to go both. It messes with the tuning though, and frankly I didn't hear much difference between that and a bend(Not "whammy without a whammy bar" kid-style, but I really don't see the advantage of that much unless your Steve Vai or someone of similar wankery).

Well, I can see your point, though it does allow you to do things you regularly couldn't. Such as raising the pitch of a harmonic note (or several). It also allows for the effect doing this to entire chords. Among other neat techniques, of course.

Though, if none of those things appeal to you, than it of course wouldn't really be worth it. It's all a matter of taste. There will always be pros and cons to everything, along with the ability to do certain things and inability for others.

Like with scale length and number of frets. Not everyone NEEDS those two extra frets and space, but some people are willing to have a wider stretch at the first few positions in order for that.
Last edited by Delanoir at Jan 15, 2009,
Quote by necrosis1193
I know I'll get flamed and stoned for this, but what the effin hell, why not.

I have a standard Fender trem, and I've played Floyd's. Frankly I don't see the point. The only detuning I get is a slight bit on the high E you'd only notice on an open chord, that you could move the right hand up and retune on a sustain. And that's only on heavy multiple-divebomb-in-ten-seconds usage. Plus it overcomplicates restringing. They seem like a gimmick to me, why are locking trems so praised?

They hold tune better when abused, give you a greater range of travel (as much as 7 semitones up-pull) and also react differently ro vintage trems.

They seem like a gimmick to you because you don't like them, but the fact of the matter is that they're the best and pretty much only option for certain styles. Kahlers and Ibanez's ZR system are both good trems but they still don't behave in the same way as a Floyd.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I like it because it holds in tune really well. Before, I would lean my Squier against a wall, and the tuning pegs would turn just that much to make me out of tune :<
I like the tuning stability. And I keep my locking nuts loose so I can tune from Standard to Drop D within a few minutes, and they still stay in tune.
horse noises ftw
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
I'll post something that hasn't been said yet.A big factor for me using them is that they're damn comfortable to my hands.I like the smooth metal when resting my palm on them and the larger size keeps my hand out of the way when things get nuts.

As far as the other reasons,they're all true.They give you good tuning stability and the chance to do more tricks than a vintage trem.People talk about them like changing the strings and setting it up is a 3 day ordeal that leaves you half dead in a pile of broken strings and allen wrenches,but once you're familiar with them they aren't bad at all.

It's all a matter of personal taste.If your strat trem handles what you do without a problem then stick with that.Some people need the tuning stability and chance to do crazy things with their trem,otherwise we'd all be using the vintage trems.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

because it does everything a normal trem can, better and can do other things as well.

sure there's a few disadvantages but if you want to take that attitude why are you playing electric guitar at all?

why not just stick with acoustic?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by steven seagull
They hold tune better when abused, give you a greater range of travel (as much as 7 semitones up-pull) and also react differently ro vintage trems.

They seem like a gimmick to you because you don't like them, but the fact of the matter is that they're the best and pretty much only option for certain styles. Kahlers and Ibanez's ZR system are both good trems but they still don't behave in the same way as a Floyd.

i've played a schecter gates custom once
ajnd the pull up was so high
that whenever you pulled it up fully even new strings would snap from the tension

now do that with your fender trem lol
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Nec, as I've explained to you NUMEROUS times:

The Floyd Rose system has the best tuning stability of any bridge system, when properly set up. You can bend, dive, inverted dive (I don't know the proper name), whatever, with no detuning whatsoever. In fact, a friend of mine who I know from Guitar Center has a Jackson DKMG that had the Jackson tremolo replaced with an Original Floyd, and then left in it's case for four years. He brought it once, to show me, and he took it out of the case, first time in four years, and it was still properly in tune.
And the Floyd Rose has a better range of dive and pull.

Hence, Floyd Rose > other tremolo systems.

Admittedly, yes, it takes some time to restring, but it's just time consuming, not that hard.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by Deep*Kick
horse noises ftw

+1

They provide more tone options as alluded to above. The more tones you have at your disposal the better.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I was thinking the same thing when I got my Dinky. It was a pain in the ass at first and the bridge was pissing me off to keep it level. But I did some research and read some forums and now its a breeze. The time it takes to change to change out the strings is worth it. Mine has stayed in tune since I changed strings 2 weeks ago.
Quote by steven seagull

+1

there are certain things you wouldn't want a floyd for, and certain things you wouldn't want a strat trem for...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

there are certain things you wouldn't want a floyd for, and certain things you wouldn't want a strat trem for...

Wicked Game on a Floyd? Sounds like crap, give me a Bigsby any time for that, likewise that floaty, shimmery stuff My Bloody Valentine do...Jazzmaster/Jaguar trem or don't bother.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Let's see.
-MASSIVE range
-very good tuning stability
-can produce cool effects (can't do trem flutter nearly as well with a strat 6 point trem)
-fine tuning
-Can be very responsive
DISADVANTAGES
Too wide of a range for classic rock, blues, and jazz
hard to set intonation with
no individually adjustable saddles (action wise)
can be a PITA to change strings with

I said can be, as it is much easier with a lock like the Tremol-no.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
as far as I know my strings lasts longer when I have a floyd, I break strings about once per month with a hardtail, but with the floyd I can keep strings for about a year without breaking and I change them because they are too old.
Quote by oneblackened
Too wide of a range for classic rock

LOL.

Plenty of classic rock guitarists use Floyds, most notably, Neal Schon, of Journey, with his FR'd Les Paul.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
LOL.

Plenty of classic rock guitarists use Floyds, most notably, Neal Schon, of Journey, with his FR'd Les Paul.

what I think of as "classic rock" tends to not use massive amounts of whammy. Anyway... I want to FR my LP but that would be damned expensive to do. I'd settle with making it string thru body (I like the look better).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Floyd's are ok, but retuning and setting up is ****ing annoying and all that ****. How do you guys use multiple tunings with a Floyd anyways? I have to keep it in one tuning, or take 3 hours to reset it up.
^ i just don't bother, generally. i never use too many different tunings anyway, though.

Quote by steven seagull
Wicked Game on a Floyd? Sounds like crap, give me a Bigsby any time for that, likewise that floaty, shimmery stuff My Bloody Valentine do...Jazzmaster/Jaguar trem or don't bother.

yeah, exactly. though i think wicked game was played on a strat? but it's a similar idea, more vintage-style trems are better for more subtle vibrato (and sound different too, even when you aren't using the trem).

depends what you want. i just can't stand people who have no use for a floyd saying that floyds suck (also floyd users saying that vintage trems suck is the same thing). it's idiotic. I mean, i don't skydive, but you don't hear me saying that there's no point in parachutes...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 16, 2009,