Right, although this could be seen as a 'medical help' thread, arguably it isn't since I'm asking more for home-remedy style approaches

I struggle to sleep at the best of times, for years I've slept 2, maybe 4 hours a night, as a kid I'd sleep 6 or 7 before waking up and being unable to get back to sleep
So until recently this was fine, I fill my time fiddling about on guitar, reading books, studying and generally relaxing as best I can. But now I'm struggling to get even 2 hours sleep because I keep having lucid dreams

For those who are unaware, lucid dreams are dreams in which the person dreaming knows they're in a dream, and in some cases can actually control themselves within the dream
I get both types (already-dreaming LD and the 'slip into them without a noticeable change in consciousness', I forget the proper names)
But they aren't pleasant dreams, in my lucid dreams I can control my own actions, but they're always in a nightmare setting, I'm sleeping 6 maybe 7 hours some nights (usually after a few nights struggling to get any sleep at all) but I'm waking up exhausted and with massive bags under my eyes, suggesting in my sleep I'm not resting at all.

Is there any way around this? Any way of ensuring a calmer sleep?
I don't eat cheese before I go to bed, I don't eat anything normally for a few hours before sleep, I don't take any drugs (I used to smoke marijuana regularly, but I can almost guarantee explicitly they are exclusive facts), I don't drink heavily, my life is considerably stressful (none of this 'People are worse-off' stuff, I've been there before and I'm not trying to make myself a martyr, simply saying I live under stress)

I am supposed to be on anti-depressants, but I've been without for a month or so due to moving between home/residences, but these dreams were happening semi-regularly before then, and the anti-depressants themselves never had a noticeable effect on my mood or my sleep pattern.

So yeah
Any ideas on how to get a better nights sleep?

Tl;dr. Shove off you lazy piece of utter wankshaft.
...Glad I didn't read the Tl;dr first...

Um...sleeping pills? Maybe...possibly...I don't know....
My problem is the exact opposite.
I'm depressed and I sleep way too much.

Do you get enough exercise?

Also, the thing about anti-depressants is they totally mess with your system, especially if you've suddenly stopped taking them. In most cases you're supposed to be weened off them I believe.

Honestly, I'd say go to a doctor. Maybe it's stress related.

I mean you can always pop a few tylenol pm, but I mean, obviously this is a bigger issue than just not being able to sleep a few nights out of the week.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Watch TV.

Sometimes I have so much stuff going through my head that having the tube put stuff through my head for me helps me sleep.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
lucid dream really boring stuff, like sleeping. i wish i could lucid dream that much....

but i totally know what you mean, i have problems falling asleep. its a bitch. diphenhydramine (benadril) works for me, but it can make you feel kinda druggy. ive stopped taking them lately. you have to be careful with any kind of sleeping pills, those can mess you up.
I have no opinion on this matter.
listen to This Will Destroy You,they're a really relaxing instrumental band. natue noises helps me sometimes too.
I have the same problem.
I was gonna help but I read the tl/dr. So I am going to take your advice and shove off like the "lazy piece of utter wankshaft" that I am.

Good day.
Stop being so stressed?
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day

Thank you, you have made my alcohol hazed morning.

But seriously, pester yer doctor untill he helps.
LOL at Tl;dr.

Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
There's been sooo many threads done on this; I don't even wanna hear that you used the searchbar. Staring at it and giggling does not count.
The worlds fu cked up and we lit the fuse, its all used up what you gonna do?
My sisters friend is like you.
She has some condition though, where she only gets into a deep sleep (proper sleep) for 2 or so hours, and the rest is sort of what u explained.

I don't know what it is called.
See a doctor or something.

And also sleep pills work great for me.

EDIT: Also your body isn't going to sleep until it's ready to sleep. Work out before bed? Don't use the computer or other things which take a lot of brainpower because it will put ure brain on overdrive and thus making it harder.
Last edited by punk_metal at Jan 15, 2009,
I went straight to the Tl:dr
Anyway..
What are lucid dreams like?
Never had those..
How much of the enviroment can you control?
You mentioned that you can't change the setting but can you dream up other objects like people and inanimate objects?
Quote by mrcrono
Ok, I will.

Good

Quote by x_thurston_x
My problem is the exact opposite.
I'm depressed and I sleep way too much.

Do you get enough exercise?

Also, the thing about anti-depressants is they totally mess with your system, especially if you've suddenly stopped taking them. In most cases you're supposed to be weened off them I believe.

Honestly, I'd say go to a doctor. Maybe it's stress related.

I mean you can always pop a few tylenol pm, but I mean, obviously this is a bigger issue than just not being able to sleep a few nights out of the week.

I try to walk a lot, I've a bad knee which makes most exercise difficult, but I do ride my bike whenever I can (they keep breaking on me though)
And yeah, but they didn't effect my sleep pattern before, and now this is a month later, so it'd be a very late side effect if coming off the drugs is to blame.

And I would do but I've exams right now and my Doctor is miles away, makes it kinda difficult to get an appointment, I do plan on it after the exams however, hence the desire for different approaches at the moment, to keep me going through the next week or so.

Thank you however for the worthy response.

Quote by SlinkyBlue
Watch TV.

Sometimes I have so much stuff going through my head that having the tube put stuff through my head for me helps me sleep.

I tend to watch DVDs before I go to bed, I can't get a TV signal here (nor do I have a license!), so I have quite a large growing collection of TV shows/films I like to watch, the last few hours of my waking day are often spent with a DVD on, playing guitar and browsing these forums

Quote by Zugunruhe
lucid dream really boring stuff, like sleeping. i wish i could lucid dream that much....

but i totally know what you mean, i have problems falling asleep. its a bitch. diphenhydramine (benadril) works for me, but it can make you feel kinda druggy. ive stopped taking them lately. you have to be careful with any kind of sleeping pills, those can mess you up.

I can't control the environment, only my actions (I don't know if this is 'normal' for a lucid dream) and in the dreams I can't sleep due to the nature of the events happening

Quote by MeltingWaxFace
I was gonna help but I read the tl/dr. So I am going to take your advice and shove off like the "lazy piece of utter wankshaft" that I am.

Good day.

Good.

Quote by withered-arm

Thank you, you have made my alcohol hazed morning.

But seriously, pester yer doctor untill he helps.

Glad to be of service

Quote by NielsWho
Chloroform + rag + you = A good night of sleep.

I'm a pit monkey, I have of course ran out of chloroform due to rape-related activities
(I'm on a moral highground however, I cuddle them afterwards..)
Quote by punk_metal
My sisters friend is like you.
She has some condition though, where she only gets into a deep sleep (proper sleep) for 2 or so hours, and the rest is sort of what u explained.

I don't know what it is called.
See a doctor or something.

And also sleep pills work great for me.

EDIT: Also your body isn't going to sleep until it's ready to sleep. Work out before bed? Don't use the computer or other things which take a lot of brainpower because it will put ure brain on overdrive and thus making it harder.

Um that's a bit retarded, your brain tires like any other part of the body, by reading and thinking more my eyes and mind both start to shut down, the problem is even when I'm off my ever-loving tits I can't stop thinking, my head is ALWAYS in overdrive.
Even when I was spiked with Ecstacy by a friend, I was constantly thinking, I struggle to shut my head down ever.

Quote by Cianyx
I went straight to the Tl:dr
Anyway..
What are lucid dreams like?
Never had those..
How much of the enviroment can you control?
You mentioned that you can't change the setting but can you dream up other objects like people and inanimate objects?

And that's why it's there
They're weird, for me they're terrifying
But I've heard they can be enjoyable too

And I can control nothing other than my actions
The rest seems to be completely up to my subconscious, and I think I now know why it should be kept SUB conscious.
Well do pushups before bed until you collapse? Plus you get fit = winwin

Or get sleep pills.

Sleep pills work great for me.
Quote by punk_metal
Well do pushups before bed until you collapse? Plus you get fit = winwin

Or get sleep pills.

Sleep pills work great for me.

I can't do a single push-up
But I go through phases of trying
I did sit-ups for a while but all it did was discomfort me, and I've no massive interest in becoming better shaped, I just did it to tire me out and it didn't work (
Start on girl pushups. Instead from arms to legs, go arms to kneecaps
And work your way from there.

Anyways, try searching here on UG for other sleep threads. There seems to be at least one a day.
Quote by punk_metal
Start on girl pushups. Instead from arms to legs, go arms to kneecaps
And work your way from there.

Anyways, try searching here on UG for other sleep threads. There seems to be at least one a day.

I did a brief search
It's just a somewhat specific problem
And I may start trying various exercises again then
But as I said, I've no interest in getting into shape, it doesn't bother me in the slightest that I'm a bit overweight or anything
So the only aim would be to tire myself, and if they don't work for that I'll lose interest