Page 1 of 2
Diamond Dave
110 IQ
EDIT: All Finished! plenty of pics @ post #39, check them out and tell me what ya think

Hey everyone, finally got all the stuff I needed together for a guitar i've been planning so that means its time to post some pics and ask for help with a few things.

First things first though, here are the specs:

- Poplar body (cut like a dinky with extended horns)
- Squier Strat 21 fret neck (scalloped by me)
- Duncan Designed HB103 Bridge Humbucker
- Squire Trem (just gonna screw it down hard to act as a hardtail)
- Dimarzio Pot for Volume
- Killswitch (how original)
- 2 Red LEDs that i want to rig up to turn off with the sound from the guitar due to the killswitch (ie lights flashing with the stutter of the guitar signal)
- Tuners and input jack slavaged off the same squier strat as the other gear, i want to rear-mount the input jack though

So thats the setup, probably gonna finish it in white or yellow, the LEDs are going to go one above and one below the pickup or at least thats the idea.

Here's the initial batch of pics:

EDIT: whoops, pics are broken, i'll have them fixed soon EDIT: there ya go

My body blank

With my rough template

A few pics of the neck im using

(obligatory toe-shot)

All the parts

My semi-soundproof jam room

Oh well, thats it for now. Stay tuned because I want to get this finished by the 19th of February so it should move pretty quickly. Might need some help with how to wire the LED's in later.

Cheers guys
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Feb 18, 2009,
CvPrEpKiLLaH
Hg-80 Alu-Beam
160 IQ
wow dude, nice job on the scalloping. i'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out
'57 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom, Jackson Soloist SL2H
Marshall MF350
Cry Baby, Carbon Copy, Phase 90

Quote by strat0blaster
I remember this one time - Jesus played Eruption on a lute with strings made from the hair of 23 virgins.

It was pretty hardcore.
Diamond Dave
110 IQ
Quote by CvPrEpKiLLaH
wow dude, nice job on the scalloping. i'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out

cheers man, did all that a few years ago when i customized my old Squier. Got sick of that so now i'm salvaging what i can and making something new.
Diamond Dave
110 IQ
Quote by guitarcam123
Nice!
What finish yo going to give it?

either white or yellow is what i'm tossing up at the moment, and then the headstock to match. I'm open to suggestions though, I was thinking about putting the southern cross stars on it somewhere but thats just a vague idea at the moment. Might try to make a mock up on photoshop soon
Jorsa
Pirate.
40 IQ

Personally, I think these ones are much nicer :P

Do an Aussie flag version of Dimebag's confederate flag paint job!
Diamond Dave
110 IQ
Quote by Jorsa
*aussie flag*
Personally, I think these ones are much nicer :P

Do an Aussie flag version of Dimebag's confederate flag paint job!

that was my first thought, but i dont think the australian flag would balance too well on a guitar body unless it was an explorer shape or something. I've seen guitars with the union jack on them before but thats a bit too british which is why i was thinking about pulling the southern cross off the flag and just having that.

Quote by CobenBlack
i love your jam room. i really love your jam room.

cool project too btw, where'd you get the template? did you make it yourself?

yeah i traced my dinky onto a piece of paper and then free-hand i went around it and extended the top horn and increased the cutaway on the bottom horn to get some better fret access. then i just taped that to a piece of wood, traced it, cut it out with a jigsaw and then sanded it more to the shape i wanted.

cheers for the jam room complement, lol. my dad and younger brother built it inside our shed while i was away at uni last year, i love it.
Diamond Dave
110 IQ
Sorry for the double post but i was going to cut out the body today but i thought it might be easier to mark out everything (neck pocket, bridge location, etc) before i cut it out.

problem is i'm not working off a plan or anything so basically i need any advice i can get on how to do it. My first thought was to get the neck, line it up where i want it on the guitar and mark it and then work out where to put the bridge and everything off of that, based on the measurements of the old body i took the neck off.

will that work ok? it should i suppose but i'm just wondering if there are any better ways of going about it.

cheers
Diamond Dave
110 IQ
Hate to post 3 times in a row but its a legitimate post so too bad, cut the body out with a jigsaw today and went around all the outside curves with the sander attached to my dads bench saw. probably wont get around to it today but tomorrow i'll use a belt sander to do all the inside curves and then work on the body contours.

now for some all-important pics

on the sander

the body next to the neck i'm using
guitarcam123
170 IQ
nice work, can't wait to see this one.
I remember when i was going to paint a guitar earlier this year, and i saw a strat with the aus flag painted on it and i was going to do that. In the pic it never looked out of place or anything. Depends if your using a pickguard or not i guess...
shadow phoenix
10 IQ
Looking great so far. Should do an AANJ =P

I'll be following this one.
Quote by Invader Jim
A post with that many big words just HAS to be right.

Wii FC: 8115 1176 4951 3028
Diamond Dave
110 IQ
Quote by shadow phoenix
Looking great so far. Should do an AANJ =P

I'll be following this one.

cheers man, i will be doing an AANJ of sorts, it wont be a copy of an ibanez heel or anything but it'll be my take on it.

one question, should i do all the body shaping before the routing or do the routing first?
Diamond Dave
110 IQ
oh well, this thread hasnt exactly been that lively so i went ahead and did all the body shaping and its pretty much finalized now and ready for a final sanding.

Here are some pics of the result:

EDIT: actually i lied, still going to take a lot of wood off the heel but i didnt want to do that until after i rout the neck pocket
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Jan 19, 2009,
Diamond Dave
110 IQ
yep, its actually not that heavy and i figured even if more wood = more tone is a load of crap it cant hurt anyway. I've still got about 3mm to take off as well because there are a few scratches the surface picked up when i was cutting it out.

overall im really happy with how its all going but i havent got a router and i've never used one before either. i'm thinking i could probably drill and chisel the holes for the control cavity and pickups but i dont know what to do about the neck pocket. any ideas anybody?
guitarcam123
170 IQ
carousel182 used to do his neck pockets with a chisel and drill and his turned out alright

Also, where'd you get your wood from?
Diamond Dave
110 IQ
this place in adelaide called otto's something that have a lot of specialty woods for instrument building and other things. the poplar i bought was $66 which is kinda expensive i thought but they had brazillian mahogany for about $100 and they're all cut as a one piece blank especially for guitar building.
guitarcam123
170 IQ
yeah thats pretty overpriced. I can't find anywhere to buy woods in Australia for a decent price
Diamond Dave
110 IQ
yeah, its hard enough to find anything to do with guitar for a decent price in Australia, especially new guitars and amps.

aus luthier supplies is a good website though, i dont know what kind of prices Gotoh gear would normally go for but they seem quite affordable to me, especially the locking trems
EclipseNine
Shred McShredFace
30 IQ
nice build, and nice practice space. cant wait to see how it turns out. I've always wanted to play on scalloped frets, but its not the kind of thing they have at guitar center
Unherolike
GB&C's only Dr.Hobo
111 IQ
Quote by guitarcam123
yeah thats pretty overpriced. I can't find anywhere to buy woods in Australia for a decent price

Hey is it summer in Australia or is that just normal sunny day in those pictures.

I just thought of a bad a$$ wood you can use GuitarCam, ready for this........Eucalyptis, plus if you painted it with the Australian flag and left the rest natural finish how much would that scream Australia at the top of its lungs. Then to top it use real snake teeth for inlay........okay I'm sorry if any of that offended you I know not all Australians live in the middle of nowhere.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Diamond Dave
110 IQ
Quote by EclipseNine
nice build, and nice practice space. cant wait to see how it turns out. I've always wanted to play on scalloped frets, but its not the kind of thing they have at guitar center

yeah, its something i always wanted to try as well which is what made me do it to my old squier in the first place. Definitely a worthwhile thing to try man, i reckon its really good and its not too hard to do yourself. Theres a tutorial on project guitar if you're interested.

Quote by Unherolike
Hey is it summer in Australia or is that just normal sunny day in those pictures.

I just thought of a bad a$$ wood you can use GuitarCam, ready for this........Eucalyptis, plus if you painted it with the Australian flag and left the rest natural finish how much would that scream Australia at the top of its lungs. Then to top it use real snake teeth for inlay........okay I'm sorry if any of that offended you I know not all Australians live in the middle of nowhere.

well it is summer but where i live its sunny like that most of the year anyway, the temperature just varies from like 18 degrees to 45 degrees. Using a gum tree to build a guitar is something i've thought about before actually, could be a solution to the "guitar wood in australia costs too much" problem
EclipseNine
Shred McShredFace
30 IQ
i might give scalloped a try, but it doesn't seem like something I would want on my main guitars, unless i really liked it. I'll probably test it out on my squire.
nightraven
?
60 IQ
Quote by Diamond Dave
Hey everyone, finally got all the stuff I needed together for a guitar i've been planning so that means its time to post some pics and ask for help with a few things.

First things first though, here are the specs:

- Poplar body (cut like a dinky with extended horns)
- Squier Strat 21 fret neck (scalloped by me)
- Duncan Designed HB103 Bridge Humbucker
- Squire Trem (just gonna screw it down hard to act as a hardtail)
- Dimarzio Pot for Volume
- Killswitch (how original)
- 2 Red LEDs that i want to rig up to turn off with the sound from the guitar due to the killswitch (ie lights flashing with the stutter of the guitar signal)
- Tuners and input jack slavaged off the same squier strat as the other gear, i want to rear-mount the input jack though

So thats the setup, probably gonna finish it in white or yellow, the LEDs are going to go one above and one below the pickup or at least thats the idea.

you are going to put the springs in or block the tremolo, right? otherwise there'll be nothing to counter the string tension on the neck (or something like that...)

looking brilliant though
Quote by Dr. House
Alright since were on the subject, whats the point of scalloping?

it means your fingers won't touch the fretboard, which gives you a much more controlled vibrato your bends will feel and sound gorgeous. it's also arguable that you can play faster
Last edited by nightraven at Jan 22, 2009,
Diamond Dave
110 IQ
Quote by nightraven
you are going to put the springs in or block the tremolo, right? otherwise there'll be nothing to counter the string tension on the neck (or something like that...)

looking brilliant though

i had thought of doing that but i wanted to avoid having to route out the spring cavity all together, basically what i'm doing is going to be like the hardtail bridges you get on the paul gilbert sig ibanezes that just screw straight onto the body.

I'll put some pics up to show you what i mean later today, because i don't have a router I got this guy my dad knows to do it for me and i'm picking the body up this afternoon.

And thanks i'm pretty happy with the way its going so far but i'll have a better idea once i see how the routing went
Diamond Dave
110 IQ
I got my body back today from the guy i got to route it for me (basically i dont have a router and thought this guy would do a good job) and the neck pocket is very dodgy.

The neck sits flat and thats ok but when it sits how it wants to its way off being square with the bridge. because the pocket has a bit of breathing space either side though (this is an epic fail of the ormsby neck test...) if you push it in the right direction it does square up ok.

what i need to do then is make it stay square, i'm guessing i might need to use shims on one side? any input would be greatly appreciated here. I'm also not sure how i should go about drilling the holes for the bolts to bolt it on either so it would be great if someone could point me in the right direction there as well.

tl;dr - someone routed my guitar badly, need help fixing neck

cheers guys
ESP_Shreder
Till' Death Do We Play
70 IQ
shim it up. Then clamp o a corner, drill 1 hole and switch around until you have all 4 holes drilled and screwed in. that's how i'd do it. If you can, glue the shims in.
Diamond Dave
110 IQ
Quote by ESP_Shreder
shim it up. Then clamp o a corner, drill 1 hole and switch around until you have all 4 holes drilled and screwed in. that's how i'd do it. If you can, glue the shims in.

thanks man, i'll see how i go with some shimming
Unherolike
GB&C's only Dr.Hobo
111 IQ
Just shim it like Esp said its the most effective plan.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Diamond Dave
110 IQ
i went just went out to have a quick go at the shimming and had a better inspection of it all and i think that the neck itself where it goes in the pocket may be more at fault. Its not perfectly flat and its kind of tapered towards the high E string side. I have no idea why either.
Diamond Dave
110 IQ
Hi everyone, this project kinda stalled because i was pretty bummed about the whole dodgy neck pocket thing but i'm over it now and i've ordered a few parts that i realized i was going to need for this and i'm gonna be at it all over again to get it done by my 19th of feb deadline.

main reason i've brought this thread back to life though is because i needed to ask a few things; is it better to drill all of your holes for screws before or after painting? im pretty sure i saw ormsby drill the control knob holes after he painted the guitar in the youtube video of the multiscale build but i think he had some done already. or i could be completely wrong.
the other thing i wanted to know was kind of hole do i need to drill for the output jack to go through. i've bought an oval jackplate like a jackson or esp or whatever that gets mounted on the side and i guess as long as the hole is big enough to fit the jack and small enough to be covered by the plate.
one more thing, any pointers for drilling the holes for the neck? i think i'm supposed to drill the holes in the heel first and then work out where to put the holes in the neck itself after that.

cheers guys
tjfishrocker
The One And Only
40 IQ
dont know about the other two questions but i would def. drill holes before so if anything bad happens you could fix it up
Diamond Dave
110 IQ
hey guys, i've been working on this project the past week and i've finished painting it and everything and i'm pretty much ready to assemble it all and i've got one question.

i've removed the trem block and everything from the bridge and i'm basically gonna be use the top part in the same way that you would use a bridge like this: http://www.allparts.com/store/guitar-bridges-for-non-tremolo-guitars-sb-0100-003,Product.asp

I looked at the duncan wiring diagram for what i'm doing and it has a ground wire from bridge going onto the volume pot (that would usually come from the trem claw) what i want to know is if i have to or should solder a wire to the bridge or if it doesnt matter in this situation.

cheers guys, i'll put up some pics when its all finished, should be tomorrow.
Diamond Dave
110 IQ
All finished, strung up and intonated, plays surprisingly well and also sounds surprisingly good. The finish came out fairly well but not exactly how i planned. I'm sure its going to be a bit of a love/hate kinda thing but i dont mind it so whatever, its not meant to be a "relic" but just look pretty roughed up and over the top and everything.

The electrical tape holding the pickup in is pretty ghetto, i had to do that because i had trouble with the height adjustment screws but i dunno, i dont mind the tape actually. i also think my volume knob is pretty cool.

Here are the pics, enjoy:

and the whole rig
Page 1 of 2