Okay guys, I have an Epiphone SG Prophecy EX that has EMG 85/81s in it, and I recently did the 18v mod with the switch in it. I went through quite a bit of trouble just getting the things I needed for it, and then the drilling, wiring, and soldering was a whole other story, and now, after all of that work, it seems to have changed nothing in the tone, volume, sustain, hotness, or anything. When I switch from 9v to 18v it sounds exactly the same, and I was just wondering if this was because of my crappy, soon-to-be-replaced Spider III 75w? I'm thinking that the only way I'll hear a difference is with a nice tube amp. Correct?
"When words fail, the guitar speaks."
-George Szell
you have a spider III, yes that is why you can't tell the difference. "Soon to be replaced" better be soon

Get a nice tube amp is very correct
Ahahahaha, pick on me, pick on me. I do deserve it more than anything.

I was simply a guitar noob, shopping on Musician's Friend, I go to the amps section, and there, at the top of the 'best selling' section is the Spider III. I thought I was in love... until I played it.

And I spent all of my college funds on that!

Any ideas of what I should get for a good amp?
I'm looking for versatility, and was thinking about getting the Peavy Vypyr 60 when it comes out, looks as if it'll have what I need. Here's the link.
-George Szell
I play clean stuff, like blues and whatnot, so I definately want to be able to get a perfect clean tone out of it. I play "crunchy" types of music also, like AC/DC, so I would need that kind of tone, and I also play high output, balls-to-the-wall heavy metal like Lamb of God, Metallica, A7X and other bands like that, so I just want to be able to get everything, hence the reason I put "versatility" as a needed factor in my previous post.

EDIT: I also love Pantera and other Southern Metal, so if I could get something that can give me some good harmonics it'd be cool, too.
-George Szell
Last edited by AlexWerkmeister at Jan 15, 2009,
budget?

don't get the vypr. you're only trading one crappy modeling amp for another. go tube!!! unless you are hardpress on the pantera thing. then stick with solid state
Last edited by twistudriffer at Jan 15, 2009,
Higher budget+Versatility = Randall MTS

Randall MTS+You =

Therefore-
Higher budget =
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jan 15, 2009,
The modelling amps all do the same thing what ever signal you feed em they process and make it sound like the model you have it set to. So hot EMGs, low ouput passives doesnt matter to a digital modelling amp its just doing its job. I have the 18v mod and it doenst sound any better with SS than it did with 9v. For the stuff you are doing blues to metal you probably want some more versatile passive pickups.
peavey valveking should do ya good.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
I have a Peavey Vypyr 30 and I can tell the difference with 18v mod on it. But that could be because the Vypyr doesn't sound as digital as the Spider III. The Vypyr Tube 60 is worth a look. I'm gonna check them out and maybe get one when my local shop gets them.
Alright, so I just woke up today, to find that my Spider III was stolen, yet my guitar and everything else is still here. I just have one question:

WTF?!

Oh well, as far as I'm concerned, the insurance money's a lot better anyways. New amp, here I come! Aliright, so it's narrowed down to:

Randall MTS
Peavey Valveking
and to be honest, I'm still thinking about the Vypyr 60 since it has some tubes to warm up the sound. Sure, it's not all-tube, but you don't need all tube to get the sound. As read on GuitarNuts.com, that's a dispelled myth. But thanks for the help so far guys, I'll start looking, keep the suggestions flowing, because I'm in dire need of a new amp now.
-George Szell
Quote by Shinozoku
Higher budget+Versatility = Randall MTS

Randall MTS+You =

Therefore-
Higher budget =

Oh and to you, Shinozoku, which MTS were you talking about? I type in Randall MTS on MusiciansFriend search and I get like a million of different models. Say I just have to keep it under $2,000 or maybe a little more. If there's something about $2000, but under $10,000, still suggest it to me, I'm getting a good job soon and could make $10,000 in about a year, and hell, if it's a nice amp, it's well worth it.
-George Szell
Quote by AlexWerkmeister
Oh and to you, Shinozoku, which MTS were you talking about? I type in Randall MTS on MusiciansFriend search and I get like a million of different models. Say I just have to keep it under $2,000 or maybe a little more. If there's something about $2000, but under $10,000, still suggest it to me, I'm getting a good job soon and could make $10,000 in about a year, and hell, if it's a nice amp, it's well worth it.

under 2 or around 2, but maybe around 10?

If you're set on SS (for whatever reason), Check out Line 6's HD and Vetta series. they usually run for about 2 grand, and are some of the best SS's I've heard.

Otherwise, check out Peavey's 5150's and 6505+'s, they've got some wicked gain stages.
------

Shwiggity.
Lol yeah man, the reason why I'd prefer 2 grand, is because it would only take me a few months to get that much, as for $10,000 it'd take a damn year.

And whoa, whoa whoa! By no means do I want another solid state!

But it doesn't matter to me much if it's semi-tube or all-tube. Either way, the tubes warm up the tone.
-George Szell
Then definitely check out the peaveys for high-gain amps, they've got some unreal gain.
------

Shwiggity.
You should also take a look at Bugera. Probably the greatest tube amps you could get for the money
I don't need a signature to tell you I don't need a signature!
Valve king, deffo.
I can play AC/DC, Guns n roses and stuff though it, and then i can get a brilliant tone for Megadeth, Pantera, etc.
VK FTW.
Love is my religion
Okay guys, so in your own opinions, should I get the Peavey ValveKing Half-Stack, or the 6505+ HS?
-George Szell
^valveking
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
You should totally get a H&K amp. I played one at a GC and I fell in love. I want one SO badly.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Quote by twistudriffer
budget?

don't get the vypr. you're only trading one crappy modeling amp for another. go tube!!! unless you are hardpress on the pantera thing. then stick with solid state

WRONG!
First off, The Vypyr 60 is a mostly tube amp (there are tubes in both the preamp and power amp sections) and the modelling part is very powerful so the effects sound natural (but, the distortion on the amps and stompboxes are ANALOG, so they sound good.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
WRONG!
First off, The Vypyr 60 is a mostly tube amp (there are tubes in both the preamp and power amp sections) and the modelling part is very powerful so the effects sound natural (but, the distortion on the amps and stompboxes are ANALOG, so they sound good.

Yes Vypyr should not be in the same catagory as the Spider 3
Alright guys, thanks for all the help. It'll be a few months before I even get enough money to buy the cheapest of the bunch, so I can sleep on it some. I'm hoping I can find a guitar store around my area. There's none that I know of. Maybe a Guitar Center in Des Moines? I dunno, but I'm definately going to try before I buy when it comes to buying something as expensive as these amps. It's definately not pocket-change for me.
-George Szell
Just throwing this out there, but the Peavey Windsor halfstack is ridiculously cheap right now. Cheaper than the 1x12" Valveking or Vypr, and in my opinion, a much better sounding amp than the Valvekings I tested out when I bought mine. I paid $400 for the head a couple of years back, and it was still a great deal.
at a $2000 budget you are in like Bogner/HK/mesa/lots of really good stuff territory. If you buy a 5150/6505 instead I might cry.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Wow, I missed that post. $2000? I'm well out of my league, then. Disregard my earlier post, I thought we were still looking at Vyprs and the like.
Quote by Deep*Kick
at a $2000 budget you are in like Bogner/HK/mesa/lots of really good stuff territory. If you buy a 5150/6505 instead I might cry.

Ahaha, I'll keep that in mind.

Still, I'm going to try before I buy, unlike last time when I thought, "Hey, everyone else is getting a Spider III, why not?" like an idiot. If I like the sound and versatility I get out of the 5150 or 6505 then I'm gonna buy it! You know, for one, I'm a radical, I like a lot of things other people don't like, so hey, I just might like them, I might not, but until I can actually hear them, everyone hold your horses!
-George Szell
I'm confused how did you manage to get your amp stolen? Were u hanging around a bad part of town playing some shredding solos and then some one hit you over the head with a midget and or small child (hey it can happen)?
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
No, I went to bed after having a jam session in my garage, left the garage door unlocked. No midgets were involved, sadly.

I love midgets.
-George Szell
you never know... a midget could have stolen it. Ive heard they are a sneaky people
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
Ahahah, congratulations Kolanski, you just made me piss myself! Oh, and I think you've earned a sig.
-George Szell
Last edited by AlexWerkmeister at Jan 16, 2009,
Quote by guitarcam123
try marshall amps too (not MGs) they have pretty good gain/ overdrive and cleans....

Any specific model(s)?
-George Szell