im looking for a pedal and amp for jamming and possibly for small gigs.
i play a fairly wide range of stuff - pop, alt rock/metal, prog rock/metal, blues, thrash, the list goes on.

my local guitar shop has recommended me a Line 6 POD xt Live and a Fender Hotrod --- I want a multi fx because its less of a hassle and will ultimately cost me less. What are people's thoughts on the xt Live?

my main concern is that the Hotrod is too bluesy. i havent been able to try it out myself because the store is out of stock until April because of post-Christmas sales. with the amp on the OD2 channel, will i be able to get more metaly sounds out of the amp with the Line 6 if i were to set it to, say a Marshall JCM something? If not, could I get some recommendations for amps in a similar ball park for cost?

At the moment, I may be able to get the both of them for around $1500 Aussie, thats a bit over $1000 US
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Last edited by Bob_Smith at Jan 18, 2009,
there are so many amps guitars and pedals out there if i had that to burn now i would be in the er trying think of what i want to get lolol .but i will tell you what i got tho.i like crate amps i got mine for under 300 i got a esp guitar that i got for under 450 and my main pedal i use is a digi tech grunge and i all so have a tone driver witch i like they both very well .so out of a 1000 you would still have enuff to get picks strings straps cords .but like i say good luck ,you well prob get you best deals online . good luck
with that much cash i would probably get something like a peavey classic 30 and a good overdrive pedal. Should be able to get that for less than $1500 especially if you go second hand (which is a very good way to go)
^remember this in australia^
so he wouldn't be able to afford all that.
Your $300 crate would be about $500 at least.
Have a look at the big blue boss multi thingy.It's a whole bunch of analog pedals in one pedal.None of this digital ****.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
to stompbox, im really not a fan of crates; ive played the GT212 pretty extensively and i found the clean tone awful, as was the crunch. the only thing it had going for it was a reasonable solo channel which i was using for rhythm...
to Ian hawkins, are you talking about the Boss ME-50? ive been told the xt Live is roughly on par as a gig pedal, but it just blows the ME-50 out of the water in any other situation
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
I have a BOSS ME-50, In personal experience, it's good for it's range. The DS-1 model is fairly accurate, though as would be expected.. nothing like the real thing.

The pedal itself is massively versatile, the mods, the delay, the distortion are all to an "acceptable" standard, the only bad thing i will say is the Wah sucks. It's so digital. It's awful. The pitch shifting is fairly decent though..

Amps.. Peavey Valveking 212!
Quote by Bob_Smith
to stompbox, im really not a fan of crates; ive played the GT212 pretty extensively and i found the clean tone awful, as was the crunch. the only thing it had going for it was a reasonable solo channel which i was using for rhythm...
to Ian hawkins, are you talking about the Boss ME-50? ive been told the xt Live is roughly on par as a gig pedal, but it just blows the ME-50 out of the water in any other situation

when i got that amp the od was crap and the clean its not bad buttt the amp has balllls thats what i was looking for ,most ams today, you will not get all three and if you do you will pay for it ,one arm and 2 legs .and i see you took a look at my page and you seen all the pedals i had. when i look for a amp i look for power not the od and things like cause i can all ways add later .