Page 1 of 4
Okay, so my guitar teacher told me to check out Down years ago. I liked them a lot and obviously found out about Pantera from them (I'd heard of them before but never got into them). Well, I thought they were amazing and bought the majority of their stuff.

...but recently I saw a vid on youtube of Phil Anselmo shouting white power during the breakdown to Floods (I think it's Floods). Even if it's a joke it's still a pretty sick thing to say.

That's like against everything I believe in really, white power is connected to all sorts of dodgy nazi stuff. I knew they were rednecks but I didn't know this.

To think I spent ages learning Floods pisses me off a lot. Feels like I've been set up almost, because of that guitar teacher saying I should check out Down and then another teaching me a lot of the techniques used in Floods which made it easier to learn.

Somebody tell me I'm wrong, that they aren't that messed up. I don't know what to do. I even bought a Dean before this but maybe I'll sell it now. Don't want people thinking I believe in that kind of stuff.
Gear: Lindo victory flying V, Orange 30w practice amp, Jazz iii guitar picks, mobile phone apps for tuner and metronome.
Stop being such a pussy.
There hath he lain for ages and will lie,
Battening on huge seaworms in his sleep;
Until the latter fire shall heat the deep;
Then once by man and angels to be seen,
In roaring he shall rise and on the surface die.
Quote by Abhorred One
Stop being such a pussy.

This.

Slayer made a song about Auschwitz (spelling?) and they're not nazi.

Song's called Angel of death.
"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people.. Otherwise, there would be no religious people."
Yeah anselmos done various slightly racist **** in the past but nothing majpr. You dont have to agree with a bands politics to like them tho. But put the bungle back on, theyre so much better
also phil anselmo made a few speeches about white power that sorta stuff while heavily intoxicated, he did apologize for it
Quote by McDreads
It was a White pride speech. Being proud of your race/heritage is not racism.

Yeah, but it has so much history of the KKK etc it is ignorant to use it and not expect people to be offended.
Quote by vampt
This.

Slayer made a song about Auschwitz (spelling?) and they're not nazi.

Song's called Angel of death.

they weren't exactly condoning genocide, human experimentation and torture in that song. i see it more as a commentary, but it's more anti-nazi than anything.

and trey, stop being a whiney paranoid noob. he was probably jacked up on smack.
Quote by RoshanC
Yeah, but it has so much history of the KKK etc it is ignorant to use it and not expect people to be offended.

Where are your equality now?

Nonsense. Black people do it all the time.

EDIT: Yes that was a joke.
"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people.. Otherwise, there would be no religious people."
Quote by Trey Spruance

That's like against everything I believe in really, white power is connected to all sorts of dodgy nazi stuff. I knew they were rednecks but I didn't know this.

Here we go again...
Quote by david9d5
You, my friend, win in epic proportions

Quote by sharpshootr55

Man... now I gotta clean my laptop screen.

Quote by ozzyismetal
^That has too much win for me to handle....
I think I need a glass of water and a nap.

Yes, Panteras singer was known for making racist remarks

Quote by McDreads

Why take pride in something if we are all equal?
Quote by McDreads

Don't even get me started picking apart that ridiculous argument.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by haz_uk
they weren't exactly condoning genocide, human experimentation and torture in that song. i see it more as a commentary, but it's more anti-nazi than anything.

and trey, stop being a whiney paranoid noob. he was probably jacked up on smack.
Slayer's most controversial songs (Angel of Death, Jihad, etc.) are only viewed as racist because they don't condemn the actions they describe; they present facts, but make no judgement.
There hath he lain for ages and will lie,
Battening on huge seaworms in his sleep;
Until the latter fire shall heat the deep;
Then once by man and angels to be seen,
In roaring he shall rise and on the surface die.
Yeah I stick by believing that saying white power is wrong. Theres too many bad connection to it.

Maybe you're right about the pussy thing though, and yeah I should be able to just ignore the politics...

It's just sorta hard to.

Also, I'm actually paranoid, I'm on meds. Probably doesn't help this.
Gear: Lindo victory flying V, Orange 30w practice amp, Jazz iii guitar picks, mobile phone apps for tuner and metronome.
Last edited by Trey Spruance at Jan 15, 2009,
Yea, because everyone who plays a dean is racist. I think you suffer from MMR.
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
XBL Gamertag: XzXPatrickXzX
The System HAS Failed
Quote by tommyp484
"RUSSELL! WHAT THE F*CK!!!!"
Quote by BigFatSandwich
Don't even get me started picking apart that ridiculous argument.

Go for it.
Quote by david9d5

Quote by sharpshootr55

Quote by ozzyismetal

Firstly, i don't think that racism can scientifically exist in humans, we are a single race - the human race. Now if you want to be a racist you can start being prejudice towards dogs or horses.

Secondly, so what if he was 'racist'. That is what he believes. The only reason you should stop listening to Pantera because of it is if you are amazingly gullible and think that if you continue listening to their music you will become a neo nazi yourself. But that is for you to decide.

Thirdly, i have absolutely no idea what the lyrics are about and could possibly be about something related to this hence why he started shouting white power. So he could be merely trying to create the atmosphere of what the song is about. Now, as aforementioned slayer wouldn't do that with Angels of Death as it is a little extreme. But IF the lyrics are connected to this subject matter then: THE BELIEFS SHOWN IN EXPRESSIVE ART ARE NOT NECESSARILY THE BELIEFS OF THE AUTHOR!

Lastly, get some balls and 'stop being such a pussy'
maybe so...maybe so young one.

Quote by Friggly
"But just PRETEND i'm not your sister"

Quote by dingmydong
I'm gonna start reffering to the female reproductive organ as the scarlet monastery now

When it comes to stuff like this i say: Listen to the music, forget about whether or not the singer is racist or the drummer is gay or the keyboard player is a dick head or whatever. Just enjoy the music.

IMO i think Axl is a dickhead and slash has a huge ego, but guess what? I still listen to Guns and Roses.
Last edited by Final !mpact at Jan 15, 2009,
Quote by McDreads

If he was just being proud of his race why did he need to suggest that they were superior and should separate themselves off from others because that is what white power means
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Go for it.

Ok. There are way too many negative connotations associated with the terms white power and white pride and it doesn't make sense for someone to say, "Oh, I have white pride, but I'm not racist. WHITE POWER!"

And having pride in anything is fine, but that doesn't give one the right to discriminate against others.

That's a start.
Banging on a trash can
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yes, Panteras singer was known for making racist remarks

Why take pride in something if we are all equal?

Yeah we're all equal I take pride in being the person I am.

Are you going to argue that I'm an arrogant bastard and hate everyone because I take pride in who I am?

Black people always use the word nigga, which was meant to insult their ancestors but now they use it.

Are they racist?
Quote by Mr.Loomis_shred
Thirdly, i have absolutely no idea what the lyrics are about and could possibly be about something related to this hence why he started shouting white power. So he could be merely trying to create the atmosphere of what the song is about. Now, as aforementioned slayer wouldn't do that with Angels of Death as it is a little extreme. But IF the lyrics are connected to this subject matter then: THE BELIEFS SHOWN IN EXPRESSIVE ART ARE NOT NECESSARILY THE BELIEFS OF THE AUTHOR!

Lastly, get some balls and 'stop being such a pussy'

They are not at all related; most of his lyrics are about unity and brotherhood.

Again: he's not racist, he was high on dope. He has made public apologies for what he said.
Quote by Bowkore

Are you going to argue that I'm an arrogant bastard and hate everyone because I take pride in who I am?
Black people always use the word nigga, which was meant to insult their ancestors but now they use it.
Are they racist?

You take pride in being a human being, not in being white.

I don't care if blacks say nigga to each other or if chinese call each other chinks.

It's like a person with glasses calling another person four-eyes, it's so ironic that nobody cares.
Don't be a retard. You bought a Dean- BIG WHOOP!
Not only Dimebag used those guitars, and I'm damn sure that Dimebag wasn't racist.
Anyway, You can like the music, but you don't have to agree with what it says..
Quote by Renka
They are not at all related; most of his lyrics are about unity and brotherhood.

Again: he's not racist, he was high on dope. He has made public apologies for what he said.

Ah the old mel gibson excuse. Ive never said anything when drunk or on drugs that ive never meant, its just the **** i dont have the balls to say normally
Quote by RoshanC
If he was just being proud of his race why did he need to suggest that they were superior and should separate themselves off from others because that is what white power means

I now see that is says white power, not pride
Quote by RoshanC

^ This.

****it. At least Kyuss are nice people as far as I know, I'll listen to them.
Quote by Bowkore

Are they racist?

Stupid argument and it doesn't apply here. If this were an argument about why it's ok for gay people to call each other fags, then the black people-nigga question would relevant. As far as I know, "white pride" has never been used as a slight against white people.
Banging on a trash can
This is why any racist related talk should be banned on UG.

Argument after argument.
Quote by david9d5

Quote by sharpshootr55

Quote by ozzyismetal

Quote by RoshanC
Ah the old mel gibson excuse. Ive never said anything when drunk or on drugs that ive never meant, its just the **** i dont have the balls to say normally

You have no idea what psycho-altering drugs do, do you?
I do. Done quite a lot. It doesn't change you enough to make you say things the complete opposite of what you believe in, so therefore he believed.
Quote by Renka
You have no idea what psycho-altering drugs do, do you?

So you're saying drugs made him racist?
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
sounds lke your over reacting
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
That is a large step in logic there, just because he wasn't adamantly and vehemently against racism and such doesn't mean he supports it, that is pretty much saying "You are either for it or against it, if you don't care either way you are for it"

That being said, I would probably say that he is at least SLIGHTLY racist.
Quote by destroy_techno
this girl like said it was all screemz so I like punched her in teh face, serves her right stupid bish, don't fukk with Pantera
Quote by Zangetsu 101
This is why any racist related talk should be banned on UG.

Argument after argument.

I agree. I also think UG should be a little less accepting of all the racist jokes. And rape jokes. I mean, for a family site, there is a lot going on here that probably shouldn't be.
Banging on a trash can
Page 1 of 4