So I'm currently the only guitarist in my band. The keyboard player and me want the songs we play 'a little heavy'. Though I like the genre, we won't be playing metal. The drummer doesn't care what we play and the sax player is a virtuoso on his instrument so he can follow everything.
We will be playing a gig in about half a year. It's for a very 'normal' audience. So it's better if the songs are mostly recognisable. We will try originals too.
So does anybody have suggestions for songs? Because it's my first time in a band so I don't want to make a bad choice coming up with something. Thanks a lot
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
veer towards your family radio stations that play band like nickleback. I'm not crazy about the band, nor the particular type of music, but sometimes you have to sellout to get the attention of the audience. Thats the way I see it. I can completely understand when a band is playing to for the audience.

I've been in both all original bands playing in the same situation as you, and bands playing death metal. The death metal audience, and the paychecks were MUCH smaller.

What type of venue is it? A wedding, family reunion?
That's certainly an odd line-up, but if you want something a little heavy, and something that's recognizable, try something by Chiodos. You don't need to be God at anything really to play their stuff, and your Sax guy could do something interesting over it.
or try some jazz?
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
It's not for family.
It's a real gig. For random people. It's outside, where more local bands are playing.
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty (exellent sax solo)
Money by Pink Floyd (which also has a decent sax solo)
Shake Your Tail Feather, famously played by Ray Charles in the 1980 film 'The Blues Brothers', that has some lovely sax touches in it.
Angel City by Motorhead, yeah I know what your thinking, but give the song a listen, now replace Lemmy's car wreck of a voice with a cleaner one and clean up the bass guitar sound and you have a very servicable rock 'n' roll number with sax in that can be played in front of any audience.
Try something like The Mars Volta, the have horns (I don't think they have sax) but they're pretty heavy.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
If you have a good bassist and sax player learn this its amazing! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHf7DvVpeiU the solo at 5:02 is insane!
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight