well, my problem (and i think a lot more guitarists has this problem) is that i can't play for shi* if i sing(or even talk) while i play.
so i would be grateful if you could give me links to some lessons that you found helpful, or generally some tips.
thanks in advance!
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
amp doesn't matter :P
i think its really easy to sing and play, as long as you use the SEARCHBAR
Guitars:
Jackson JS30KE Kelly
Jackson RRX10D
Fender Telecaster American Standard
Epiphone Acoustic
Amps:
Vox DA15
Marshall G80RCD
Pedals:
Boss GT-6
Boss MT-2
i find if you learn the song inside out and back the front, and can play it without thinking about it, then the singing becomes alot easier.

if you still have to think about what your playing, you cant concentrate on the singing.

hope that helps.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Root beer

Amp:
Randall RG75G3
Marshall 1960 2x12 cab

Pedals:
Crybaby From Hell
Behringer Chromatic Tuner
Boss Acoustic Simulator
I recomend starting on David Bowie songs. Ziggy stardust and the first part of space oddity are pretty easy to learn the singing and guitar.
there is no quote in this box
try playing songs you know really well and try and match the rhythm of your singing to that of the strumming
u can also just practise using random lyrics and just change chords, like G to D to C

something real simple will help quickly

Quote by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course
thx for the tips...
almost all were helpful
you know who i'm talking about...
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
like a rolling stone by bob dylan is easy to sing and play considering the chord progression is lengthy and only involvse 5 or 6 chords.
Hold a loaded gun to your head and a knife to your stomach. See if you can make a stabbing motion with the knife and a pulling motion with the finger on the trigger.

$5 says you're too retarded to get it the right way and end up poking yourself in the head with a gun.

Prove me wrong.
UG BLS Chapter.
SDMF#UG001
SDMF#UG002-faqu
SDMF#UG003-pantera-nat124
Quote by Mr_Zakk_Wylde
Hold a loaded gun to your head and a knife to your stomach. See if you can make a stabbing motion with the knife and a pulling motion with the finger on the trigger.

$5 says you're too retarded to get it the right way and end up poking yourself in the head with a gun.

Prove me wrong.

first of all
? ?
and second:
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
Learn the guitar and vocal parts separately inside out. Then play the guitar while humming the vocal melody. Try and figure out the connections between both parts, such as changes in pitch in relativity with the chord progressions/pattern. Once you've got that down try both.

Also, don't expect to be able to do this with any song. Start off easy with things like "Pennyroyal Tea", "Polly", "About A Girl" by Nirvana; "Wonderwall" by Oasis; or "No Excuses" by Alice In Chains. Also, i find it easier on acoustic than on electric guitar. You might also put an ear plug in one ear so that you can hear your own voice in your head easier.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
It's much easier to sing while strumming chords, obviously. So start with that, and one day you'll be pro like me and be able to sing while picking notes. /fullofhimself

Edit; Though I find it hard to sing along to Road Trippin - RHCP while playing
People are bastards. Bastardcoated bastards with bastardfilling.
Last edited by Finnepinne at Jan 15, 2009,
Quote by Nesha Strah
first of all
? ?
and second:

It's quite simple really. Much like you appear to be.
UG BLS Chapter.
SDMF#UG001
SDMF#UG002-faqu
start by learning something easy like a nirvana song before moving onto crazy speed alt picking +vocals
Gear

Ibanez RG1451 (Bareknuckle Aftermath bridge, Cold Sweat neck)
Jackson DK2T(Bareknuckle Miracle Man bridge,SD Jazz neck)
Ibanez RG321mh(SD JB bridge)
Epiphone SG-400,
Ibanez RG370DX,
Vintage V6

Pod X3 into KRK RP8 G2's
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Warned for being an asshole for no reason.

Im sorry. Im sorry that he did not grasp such a simple concept. If such a basic sentence structure cannot be threaded together to make a coherent, logical conclusion then, by conclusion i find him to be simple. A personal opinion, based on what he has proven isnt me being an asshole, it's me being me. You cannot penalise people for being themselves. Not if you want a real discussion. If you want fake, lovey dovey "Lets all get along" commentary to every post then you've got alot of warnings to hand out.
UG BLS Chapter.
SDMF#UG001
SDMF#UG002-faqu
Last edited by Mr_Zakk_Wylde at Jan 15, 2009,
I heard somewhere (might've been on UG) that someone found a way to practice that. I remember they said to try having a conversation with someone as you play whatever. The more natural you can speak, the better you'll be when it comes time to sing.

Basically, you have to be able to play what you're playing without thinking or looking at it. Once it becomes a second nature to you, singing will become easier.

It sucks though, I can sing in tune and play something, but my voice still sucks
Quote by Mr_Zakk_Wylde
Im sorry. Im sorry that he did not grasp such a simple concept. If such a basic sentence structure cannot be threaded together to make a coherent, logical conclusion then, by conclusion i find him to be simple. A personal opinion, based on what he has proven isnt me being an asshole, it's me being me. You cannot penalise people for being themselves. Not if you want a real discussion. If you want fake, lovey dovey "Lets all get along" commentary to every post then you've got alot of warnings to hand out.

There's a difference between discussion and assholery. Telling someone that they're retarded is not discussion. So yes, you are being an asshole. Whether that's you being yourself or not is your own personal problem.
Just stay practising. I didn't used to be able to sing and play at the same time but once you're playing long enough that guitar becomes automatic then it shouldn't be a problem.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Deliriumbassist
There's a difference between discussion and assholery. Telling someone that they're retarded is not discussion. So yes, you are being an asshole. Whether that's you being yourself or not is your own personal problem.
Did i say he was retarded or simple?

Im now confused as to what i'm meant to have done. Because personally, calling somebody a retard is different to calling somebody simple. Some form of clarification of what you mean would be nice. You cant accuse me of being an asshole for a comment which you believe to be me calling him retarded when i never said he WAS retarded.
UG BLS Chapter.
SDMF#UG001
SDMF#UG002-faqu
Quote by Mr_Zakk_Wylde

Quote by Mr_Zakk_Wylde

Prove me wrong.

Discussion over.
Quote by Mr_Zakk_Wylde

Im now confused as to what i'm meant to have done. Because personally, calling somebody a retard is different to calling somebody simple. Some form of clarification of what you mean would be nice. You cant accuse me of being an asshole for a comment which you believe to be me calling him retarded when i never said he WAS retarded.

I tried arguing with mods when i started off on UG...it got me banned, dont be iggnorant and get of your illusion of a high horse.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Discussion over.

Fair point. But now i would really like to know which comment i am actually being warned for.
UG BLS Chapter.
SDMF#UG001
SDMF#UG002-faqu
Quote by LaGrange

I tried arguing with mods when i started off on UG...it got me banned, dont be iggnorant and get of your illusion of a high horse.

I don't have any illusion of a "high horse"

I am simply asking for an exact reasoning behind why i am getting a warning. I have been here for 5 years and suddenly my attitude is becoming an issue. It's quite easy for him to sit there and claim that i was being an asshole for no reason, but from where im sitting i wasnt being an asshole, and i had reason to say what i was saying. Im still actually a bit confused whether im being warned for my first post or second, considering he has now quoted both. The first which was a joke, the second which was also a joke. If we're not allowed to make morbid jokes which point fun at people then maybe they should make some announcement. And delete the first couple of pages of every thread which asks a meaningful question because essentially that's all it is.
UG BLS Chapter.
SDMF#UG001
SDMF#UG002-faqu
Quote by Mr_Zakk_Wylde
I don't have any illusion of a "high horse"

I am simply asking for an exact reasoning behind why i am getting a warning. I have been here for 5 years and suddenly my attitude is becoming an issue*. It's quite easy for him to sit there and claim that i was being an asshole for no reason, but from where im sitting i wasnt being an asshole, and i had reason to say what i was saying. Im still actually a bit confused whether im being warned for my first post or second, considering he has now quoted both. The first which was a joke, the second which was also a joke. If we're not allowed to make morbid jokes which point fun at people then maybe they should make some announcement. And delete the first couple of pages of every thread which asks a meaningful question because essentially that's all it is.

You can easily get a warning per post so you might as well drop it now while you can buddy.

*Also, did it ever hit you that that is the reason for the conflicts? I've been here almost as long as you have and my attitude hasn't become a problem. If you're gonna say something make sure it's something that will contribute something good rather than simply spitting out words because you can.

Example:

Quote by Mr_Zakk_Wylde
Haha...so now you've got a sore leg and a sore jaw. Serves you right for trying to be a hard cunt.

Next time sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up.

got it?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Jan 15, 2009,
Quote by Mr_Zakk_Wylde
Fair point. But now i would really like to know which comment i am actually being warned for.

It's more your attitude in this thread as well as the comments- coming in and pretty much calling the TS retarded. All s/he was doing was asking a question, that's all. No need to come in and be an ass. I'm not going to warn you per post. Other mods might have.

That's all I'm gonna say.
UG isn't a fair system, the mods are like Hitler, so shut the hell up and obey them, besides it's not like you're banned.
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
Quote by evening_crow
You can easily get a warning per post so you might as well drop it now while you can buddy.

*Also, did it ever hit you that that is the reason for the conflicts? I've been here almost as long as you have and my attitude hasn't become a problem. If you're gonna say something make sure it's something that will contribute something good rather than simply spitting out words because you can.

Example:

got it?

Meh. Guess im not in a very charitable mood today
UG BLS Chapter.
SDMF#UG001
SDMF#UG002-faqu
Quote by Flaming Chaos
i think its really easy to sing and play, as long as you use the SEARCHBAR

People doing this really pisSes me off.

Anyway I have the same problem, but yeah I almost found myself being able to sing and play Blackbird (by the Beatles) the other day, and think it is just a case of practising one until you don't have to think about doing it.
Play songs at slower speeds and sing. Or fast and hum the tune then move up to singing.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
a lot of things on the guitar will seem do-able but you can't seem to be able to do them yet. it just requires you to have played a few years and to get a bit of experience and then it will come natural. practising several hours a day may speed it up but you'll find that you can suddenly do something one day when you're thinking about it a lot in the back of your mind for so long.

it's like when i always wondered if i could hum a melody while beatboxing. i couldn't when i first wondered but one day i could just do it. i guess time just seemed to allow me to gain this stupid ability which i've never since used or wanted to improve.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Mr_Zakk_Wylde, stop being a dick in every freakin' thread you post in.

To TS: I'm no singer but heres what i did to help sing/talk and play guitar. Play a scale, chord progression or a fairly easy song and say the alphabet.
The best thing to do is, practice ALOT. It is fairly easy to play along with some simple chord progressions. However, it gets difficult to sing and riff at the same time. I know I can't really do it. I examined Claudio Sanchez (from Coheed and Cambria) during his live performance of The Light and the Glass (look it up live on youtube, ripped from one of their DVDs). It is amazing and something I strive for. The song is so complex to sing (perfectly) and play. Thats really it, no real advice. I wish I could help more, but I am in the same place as you really.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
I try to find parts where the note and the lyric hit at exactly the same time, then try to form the rest of the lyrics between those parts.