Hi, I'm looking for a couple of value for money all-tube combos, for using in a classic rock covers band. I'm after one for clean sounds as close to a Fender Bassman or Twin Amp as possible, and the other for dirt as close to a vintage 60's or 70's Marshall head as possible (think Hendrix, Mike McCready, Slash, Page). I'd preferably like both amps to be 50-watts or more, though I could probably go down to 40-watts I guess. My budget is around £1000 but I could probably stretch to £1200 if I really needed to.

I'd also be happy to add a new speaker/s or do any other simple mods, if it'd help get the sounds I'm after.

From a bit of Googling, I've found Peavey's Valve King and Classic series, Crate's V-series, Bugera, Randall and Kustom. Problem is, I have no idea if any of these amps, can get close to the sounds I'm looking for. Unfortunately, it's not really possible for me to try all of them at a store.

Does anyone please have any advice/suggestions?
Last edited by redzombie at Jan 15, 2009,
Well you could afford an orange rocker 30 for less than 600, I know you said you want at least 40 watts but i don't see this thing ever being to quiet, especially if you're going to have a dedicated clean amp as well anyway.

Then with the rest, if you hunt around ebay and stuff I bet you could find a decent fender amp for around 600 or maybe less.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
In the thread title you state you have £600, but in the actual thread you say you have £1000?

Which is it?
Listen to my band - www.myspace.com/theacidiks
Fender MIM P Bass - Badass II Bridge, Seymour Duncan (Basslines) SPB-3 - Strings 55-115 (Standard Tuning)
EHX Big Bass Muff
Ashdown MAG 300 2-10T
Epiphone G-400 (.11-.52)
LGBT
He has a budget of 1000-1200 for two amps so that would make a max of 600 each, its not hard.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
If I were you I'd A/B an Orange Rocker 30 for distortion and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for the cleans.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/rk30c-rockerverb/12467
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-hot-rod-deluxe/9794
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
If I were you I'd A/B an Orange Rocker 30 for distortion and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for the cleans.

This but remember that going used will make it a damn sight cheaper, my rocker 30 was used and its been fine, it was only 420. Find some good deals you could be looking at as little as 8-900 for both.

Good hunting!
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Thanks for the suggestions folks, I've got no problem with waiting out on second hand gear if the results will be worth it. I'd absolutely love to own an Orange, I just had no idea they went for so little over here. I guess being British made, they're bound to be a bit cheaper than abroad. Shouldn't be too hard to source one, to try at a store either

I can probably live with 30-watts, especially if they go as loud as you say, Pendulous. If not, 112 Orange extension cabs seem to be fairly cheap anyhow.

Also, the Hot Rod Deluxe looks like it could very well do the trick. Nice price too. Again, shouldn't be too hard to find one to try at a store

I'll definitely be giving these two a shot, but if anyone has any similar suggestions I'd still be interested to hear them.
Quote by steven seagull

+1

A cheaper alternative to the Orange would be a Peavey Classic 30 or 50, they're nice sounding amps too. I don't think you'll do much better than the Hot Rod for cleans.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I highly recommend the Orange. It's perfect for the sounds you described, considering I used to own a Plexi and sold it (it was WAY too loud) for an Orange, but still wanted the Plexi tones. The Orange can definetly nail that tone, but it isn't a quiet amp by any means (but not terribly loud), but has no problems being gigged with or playing with a band (I used it in a 300 person gig, full band at about 5 on the amp).
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Yeh bottom line, rocker 30 = loud enough, i doubt you'll need an extension either.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Thanks for the added input folks, I've got severe GAS for a Rocker 30 now!

I'll have to see if I can find one to have a go on this weekend.
although i've never played through one, crate palomino combos just had a huge price reduction, and the 50 watts are going for $400. anyone play/have one?
Laney protube 50w combo and a bassman Combo
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Just so you know, The wattage rating on the Rocker 30 seems to me to be a bit on the conservative side. My friend has a Laney LC30 and side by side on the same volume my Rocker was significantly louder, and louder maxed out too.
Well thinking that watts is volume isn't correct. The Rocker 30 is 30 watts, nothing more...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
orange + HRD would be cool...

another option would be seeing how much a custom martamp might be... they may be over budget for two, but you should easily be able to get one well under budget (which may leave you enough for a cheaper amp for the other sound you're after).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, matamp's probably worth a look too. martamp could make you a dual channel amp too, they have a new "orion" coming out soon, meant to be good.

haven't tried any martamps, though, they do seem to be excellent value though for handwired stuff.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by steven seagull

bargain fenders wont get you twin sounds
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
have you ever tested the fender supersonic amp? that has some sweet OD / crunch too...
btw, are you sure you want two amps to carry around? two "big" valve amps weigh tons... :P
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Last edited by Ferrarone at Jan 15, 2009,