So I went to the pawn shop and came home with a guitar and amp. I don't know much about either.

First, the guitar is a Fender Stratocaster, seems to be in good condition. I can't find where it's made, I was wondering if someone could tell by looking at these pics? I looked on ebay and the price for these is all over the place, I have $140 into it.

Second, I got a Crate GTD 65 for $100. It's my first amp and I have been messing around with it. I am not sure if I like it or not. Seems to be plenty loud but has some slight background fuzz. They had a Cube 60 that I might go back and get, the pawn shop owner said I could return the amp if I didn't want it. I guess that I wanted to know if theCrate 65 amps are any good?

I'd say stick with what you got right now until you get the basics down. Then start saving or trade in for better gear. You have to start somewhere and what have right now is good enough. I'd go and test out the Cube to see if it sounds better. It might not sound as good as your Crate.

You'll eventually start noticing what sounds good and what doesn't. Just start learning and worry about better gear later.
That strat looks lush. maybe a highway 1? they are built in america but dont have the same hardware, finish and pickups as the american standard. i would go back and change it for the cube 60 if thats your only onption, or even better get the money for the crate back and save a little for a nice tube combo.
I think it might be a mexican, but don't quote me on it, a friend of mine has a telecaster that looks quite simillar (only in the tele shape) I think you might have scored yourself a bit of a bargin my friend. As for the crate amp, crate isn't really renoud for being that great, but hey, it's 65w and it's a start. Just play with what you've got, 240$ for this is a pretty good deal for a genuine fender and a decent amp.
Quote by UltimateDud
I think it might be a mexican, but don't quote me on it, a friend of mine has a telecaster that looks quite simillar (only in the tele shape) I think you might have scored yourself a bit of a bargin my friend. As for the crate amp, crate isn't really renoud for being that great, but hey, it's 65w and it's a start. Just play with what you've got, 240$ for this is a pretty good deal for a genuine fender and a decent amp.

Agreed. Way better than what i started with. A Squire Strat and a cheap 5 watt amp. OUCH!!
Quote by MommasHooligan
Agreed. Way better than what i started with. A Squire Strat and a cheap 5 watt amp. OUCH!!

haha yea , most of us started with the cheap copies and ****ty amps.
Ibanez starter gear ftw!!
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Quote by LaGrange
haha yea , most of us started with the cheap copies and ****ty amps.
Ibanez starter gear ftw!!

I still got a cheap Ibanez Jump Start model. I'm going to mod the **** out of it lol
ok, here's my evaluation of the guitar and the amp noise.

first, the amp. the noise you are refering to is (possibly) what is called 60 cycle hum and it is usually apparent when using single coil pickups (which you have three of). Check and see if the noise doesn't mellow out when you use the pickup selector switch on positions 2 and 4.

Neck appears to be genuine Fender. However, I'm thinking it's a squier strat body. Squier standards have the two point trem and this has it too. It could be an American Fender as well but to me, it doesn't look that way. It could also possibly be a 70's Re-Issue. Take a look at the back, does it have 3 bolts or 4? if it has 3, it's a mexican 70's re-issue and the body is made of ash.

You can also check to see if the body is actually a fender. Take the pickguard off (you can leave everything on it) and look for a dowel mark on the lower horn. there should be 1-3 of them.

also, if you can find a serial # on the neck or neck plate, you can look it up at Fender.com

That would tell you were it was made if it is all original.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
That strat looks lush. maybe a highway 1? they are built in america but dont have the same hardware, finish and pickups as the american standard. i would go back and change it for the cube 60 if thats your only onption, or even better get the money for the crate back and save a little for a nice tube combo.

eh......
first of all the highway one does not have the same finish... it has a satin (low gloss) finish and that strat has a glossy finish so i'm going to rule that one out for that.

as for what i think it is, my first impressions would be the 70's reissue (mexican made). The headstock is screaming that at me but that is just an initial guess at it. either way, it seems like a really really good deal

however, no bullet truss rod tip, and a 4 bolt neck make me think that the 70's idea might not be it
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

Last edited by spootz at Jan 15, 2009,
Quote by MommasHooligan

I started off on an Epi G-400 (my parents pitched in, I paid half) and a little 25 watt dual gain amp with the brand name of "Stone".

Quote by kurt_cobain9
ok, here's my evaluation of the guitar and the amp noise.

first, the amp. the noise you are refering to is (possibly) what is called 60 cycle hum and it is usually apparent when using single coil pickups (which you have three of). Check and see if the noise doesn't mellow out when you use the pickup selector switch on positions 2 and 4.

Neck appears to be genuine Fender. However, I'm thinking it's a squier strat body. Squier standards have the two point trem and this has it too. It could be an American Fender as well but to me, it doesn't look that way. It could also possibly be a 70's Re-Issue. Take a look at the back, does it have 3 bolts or 4? if it has 3, it's a mexican 70's re-issue and the body is made of ash.

You can also check to see if the body is actually a fender. Take the pickguard off (you can leave everything on it) and look for a dowel mark on the lower horn. there should be 1-3 of them.

also, if you can find a serial # on the neck or neck plate, you can look it up at Fender.com

That would tell you were it was made if it is all original.

Gotta go slow for the newb.

3 bolts or 4...what bolts?

Two point trem?
Quote by yellojeeper
Gotta go slow for the newb.

3 bolts or 4...what bolts?

Two point trem?

Fenders have what is called a bolt on neck. a bolt is a long screw which is holding the neck to the body. on the back, there it a chrome plate. does it have three screws or four screws holding the neck to the body?

a two point tremolo is a type of bridge which is the part your strings run through towards the back of the guitar where you strum. it has to pivot joints. thats a two point tremolo.

Ok, it has 4 bolts. I thought that was a cover plate for something.
Last edited by yellojeeper at Jan 15, 2009,
Quote by yellojeeper
Ok, it has 4 bolts. I thought that was a cover plate for something.

then my honest opinion of what it is is this: I personally think that it's a squier standard strat body with a fender highway 1 neck.

Either way, not back for the price.

The Squiers with two point terms are spaced differently. The pins are spaced the same as an American Strat.

Of course, it could have been modified.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
$140 isn't bad, but I agree with others that it is not in it's original form. If you can find a serial #, you can go to Fender's site to find year and model info. Their site can also tell you where to look for the #. It does look like the neck and body don't match correctly, so that may not help. If you're just starting out, don't worry about it too much.
Is that 10 screws around the pickguard? I can't find any others like that in the current catalogue (most have 11). What does the writing just below "Fender" on the headstock say? I can't make it out on the photos.
Quote by anotherbluesguy
Is that 10 screws around the pickguard? I can't find any others like that in the current catalogue (most have 11). What does the writing just below "Fender" on the headstock say? I can't make it out on the photos.

Yup, ten screws.

Below Fender it says: Pat. 3,143,028
Also, the trem screws are rounded out so it's probably not the original.

I think I see ONE dowl mark under the pickguard.
Last edited by yellojeeper at Jan 15, 2009,
Bowa, that's a nice one, if your just starting this is even better than the starter gear you can get new with this money so just keep it and when you feel confident enough later on to buy a new guitar then just go for it.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
That is a NICE beginning rig.

I started out on a Synsonics Strat bodied crap guitar with a built in speaker that runs off of a 9V battery, and some kind of Karerra amp.

I dumped that **** off on my girlfriend XD
If you google "Pat. 3,143,028", the third link down is a book preview that has some interesting info. Apparently that patent number appearing on its own indicates mid 1972 - 1976. Hence, I guess the head is from some kind of 70s reissue; the Highway Ones don't seem to have a patent number on (though I can't find a reissue with one on either).

Something else mentioned in that book preview is about the 12th fret markers - I notice yours are very far apart. If you look on Fenders website at the vintage series you can see the 57 and 62 version have the dots further apart, while the 70s has them closer together (like the modern ones) - the change apparently took place around 63. So anyway, your guitar seems to have a mid-70s headstock, but an earlier styled fretboard. Very weird.
1. Nice score for the money.

2. I believe it's either a 70's reisue MIM, but with the bridge swapped for a two-point pivot trem, or an American strat of some sort with the neck swapped because somebody preferred the profile used in the 70's.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
What you have there is a Mexican Fender Strat.
Instant giveaway is the neck. 21 Frets and Fender logo.
The only confusing thing is the Two-Point Tremolo.

As for the amp, Crate GTD 65s are alright. I don't hate them, but I don't love them. If I started on one, I'd be grateful. I started on an Excel 10W.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.