Hi I'm sure you get a lot of these so I'll be quick.

I want to get a cheap decent recording setup for basic home recording, I have read through the sticky/ies and that tweakheadz site a fair bit and I am tossing up between two hardware paths to take:

1: Mic -> Mixer -> soundcard, or

2: Mic -> Mic preamp -> Soundcard.

Either way I want to spend less than $100 on a mixer or preamp (yes I am that poor). So is it better to get a cheap preamp (eg ART Classic Tube MP) or a cheap mixer (behringer XENYX or similar)? I am only looking to record guitar and maybe bass and vocals and living in Australia I haven't got a whole lot of options.
I was going to with the standard Shure SM57 mic and an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (unless there are better options at a similar price).

Finally how good is the Ableton Live Lite software that the Audiophile is packaged with?

Thanks
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Honestly dude, unless you're going for the snap crackle pop or the toneless sound, I wouldn't even bother, but I guess if you're mapping for proper recordings I could let you off. Get a Line 6 Toneport, few interesting preamps, and the gearbox is pretty cool. Also has a place for a mic, just you need a seperate phantom power outlet if you mic requires one.
Toneports cost over $300 in Australia whereas I can buy a Mic, preamp/mixer and soundcard for that much
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Quote by llanafreak44
Anything should be fine. Just get the 57 and a cheap one channel interface.

could you recommend me a few please?
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Quote by Deep*Kick
Toneports cost over $300 in Australia whereas I can buy a Mic, preamp/mixer and soundcard for that much

Where in hell in australia do you shop?

The sm57 alone is gonna cost you 150, an interface is gonna cost you 150 up for anything even remotely useable
Quote by doommaker
Where in hell in australia do you shop?

The sm57 alone is gonna cost you 150, an interface is gonna cost you 150 up for anything even remotely useable

I can get the mic for $100 on ebay, there are 2 audiophile sound cards on ebay aus at the moment at initial bids of $50, and there are plenty of 8-10 track mixers on the bay for less than $100.

So ebay.
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
ahhh 100 each, that makes a hell of alot more sense.

Audiophile soundcards arent typically audiophile quality (except for output maybe) unless its above a grand.

That being said ebays where i got all my stuff. That sounds fine what your after, you might want an interface but thats up to you.