Well, I know I could work, but...

Alright, so I am the singer in the band, and I play part-lead guitar (I took your advice and started giving back). For me, guitar is more a concern that singing is, but I don't want to get a new singer because 1) All the good singers are in 11th and 12th grade 2) Then it would 3 guitar-playing guys, which would seem a waste. I ain't kickin anybody out, and it really can be helpfull sometimes for original arragements, but to things like AC/DC covers and such, it can get very hard for me to arrange it to be for three guitars.

Currently, what we're doing is having one guitar on the right and one guitar on the left, and I'm in the center with my vox and guitar. I don't play during the verses, and basically minize my playing (while still making it fun for me) so that my guitar doesn't drown my vox out.

Anybody have any suggestions for Who and AC/DC kinda covers, where there isn't room for a third guitar? (well, AC/DC isn't a problem, I can't do any Brian Johnson stuff while playing guitar and singing, but for everything else...)

tl;dr-My band has 3 guitarists, what do we do for 2 guitar and 1 guitar style covers?
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
Pretty much the majority of rock songs on the planet have either one or two guitars...
I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton
ok, as usual pit is being very unhelpful except andychalmers, so im gonna go post this someplace else

And a master of storytelling...

Quote by Jackolas
andychalmers102, that story is awesome.
My Michelle

one plays the intro, one plays the melody over the intro with the bass player, when the main riff begins, two play the riff, one plays the rythem under it, when singing starts two play the rythem and one plays a modified version of the main riff over it.
yea, I know...so what do WE do?

EDIT: to first poster

My Michelle would be good, thx...
But that's just one cover. We need at least 3 or 4 more.

BTW I'm not asking for suggestions, I'm asking for arrangments.
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
Last edited by bry0n at Jan 15, 2009,
Three player is always tough.

I'd be going for two rhythm and one lead, maybe with the rythm players playuing slightly different parts, althouhg inversion etc is going to be hard for you in plain rock music.

Another asuggestion would bve to ahve them playing different guitars and amps, so you might ahve a les paul marhsall combo for your big rythm, a strat through a fender for your 2nd rhythm and your lead dling whatever, so you get more depth and varitety in the sound, with some guitars bigger and heavuier sounding, some adding brightness etc. if you get what I mean.
How about some Iron Maiden?

You could also play Metallica songs and have one guitar tuned to C-standard and play the same patterns.
It gives songs a cool feel.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
How about some Iron Maiden?

You could also play Metallica songs and have one guitar tuned to C-standard and play the same patterns.
It gives songs a cool feel.

I though "Well, Iron maiden did it...so could we" but i never thought about covers

thx for the metallica suggestions, and to the dude above Nilpferdkoenig, thx for that...
Quote by denfilade

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
Play some Opeth there's plenty guitar to cover in their songs.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Play "Highway Star" with 3 of you playing the solo at the same time, might be interesting.... or depending on your skill, ultimately horrible.
You could just have one guitar playing an octave higher than the other rhythm part
I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton
ok, as usual pit is being very unhelpful except andychalmers, so im gonna go post this someplace else

And a master of storytelling...

Quote by Jackolas
andychalmers102, that story is awesome.
Don't always make 2 guitars play the rhythm part.. it can tend to sound sloppy and muddy, depending on how good your guitarists are.

Try writing harmonies for the lead parts. And I don't mean just purely a 5th above or below, but perhaps try combining harmonies with different intervals.
well, u could also just not play guitar for those songs that u cant figure out a 3 guitar part for.
Switch off parts between rhythm and lead and have the one not playing do cool stuff.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
what ^ guy said, it would make the song more awesome and original

EDIT: @bapplepo :p
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Last edited by akm_202 at Jan 15, 2009,
Have one or maybe 2 of the guitarists doing different inversions of the chords.
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

Just play more solos. It's no big deal, really. It can also be nice because if the main guitar ever drops out to play a solo while leaving the part that it was playing open, one of you can cover it.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
some Pearl Jam stuff featured three guitars. don't know if that's really your style but it wouldn't hurt to check it out.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Just play Maylene and the Sons of Disaster covers.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
ok this isnt ACDC or The Who but you should try learning Patience by Guns N' Roses. It has three guitar parts and its a good song that is popular and ppl like and chicks will dig it and it wil get ya some respect...besides its just an awsome song.