sup UG, here's what's been bothering me lately.

about 2 months back, i came across this riff with some hammer-on and pull-off action using the fourth finger. as i had to perform in a few days, i practiced it intensively to the point where every time i applied pressure with my fourth finger (like doing the hammer on or a bend) i felt a pain, like some sort of muscle injury.

now, 2 months later, the problem persists in this form:
when im not playing guitar, or not using the fourth finger extensively, it feels perfectly normal.
if i play guitar and use the fourth finger a lot (for example, i start doing hammer-ons again), the pain returns after about 10 minutes of playing or less.
after leaving my finger alone for about 20 or so minutes, the pain is gone again.

this pain is really, a real pain. it cuts down on my practicing by a good deal.

anyone know what i can do?
I had something similar happen to me with my middle finger.Fast an heavy playing caused what appeared to be joint or nerve pain in that finger.I used a gripmaster finger exerciser to fix the issue,just 150-300 reps with it every 3 or 4 days and my finger was back to normal after about 2 weeks.I'm not sure if that method is right for you since there may be a different cause to your pain but it worked fine for me.If it still persists and nothing works maybe you should go see a doctor.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

sounds like a similar situation...
only problem is i dont have anything like a finger exerciser.
Is the pain localized to any particular part of your finger?

Also, has the pain spread at all? If it begins to spread down into your hand or to other fingers, I'd say get it checked out. If it's swollen or discolored at all, definitely get it looked at.

I'd say to rest that finger - if not the entire hand - for a while. If you play guitar, focus on things that don't use the finger and limit your practice sessions to shorter times. Try not to do anything too intensive (guitar, typing, writing, what have you) with that hand. If you can avoid that sort of exercise for a month or so, do it. Give it a rest.
Quote by kylegumby
Is the pain localized to any particular part of your finger?

Also, has the pain spread at all? If it begins to spread down into your hand or to other fingers, I'd say get it checked out. If it's swollen or discolored at all, definitely get it looked at.

I'd say to rest that finger - if not the entire hand - for a while. If you play guitar, focus on things that don't use the finger and limit your practice sessions to shorter times. Try not to do anything too intensive (guitar, typing, writing, what have you) with that hand. If you can avoid that sort of exercise for a month or so, do it. Give it a rest.

nope, no swelling, no discoloration, and no spreading. the pain is focused on the middle joint of the fourth finger. giving it a rest seems to help the situation a bit.... but the pain returns regardless (just a matter of how much pain after how many minutes of playing).
Have you tried cracking that knuckle (either before or after playing)?

Joint pain can be related to a lot of different issues. It's possible that you did something as simple as pulling a muscle, but I would expect that to hurt at least some when you aren't using the finger extensively.

How long does it continue to hurt after you finish playing? Do you only notice it when you're playing, or do other activities lead to the same pain?

Edit:
It would help if I read. 20 minutes to stop hurting.
Last edited by kylegumby at Jan 15, 2009,
curiously, i have tried cracking that knuckle and stretching it every time it starts to hurt. it only actually feels a bit different if i apply some pressure to it (like push down on something with it).
I'd get it looked at by a doctor, man. Or you could try a chiropractor or sports therapist, if doctors don't appeal to you.

Really, though, if resting it with only light exercise doesn't do the trick after a couple of weeks then get it checked out. Just to be on the safe side.

That's your money hand, after all. Don't want anything to happen to it.
Quote by kylegumby
I'd get it looked at by a doctor, man. Or you could try a chiropractor or sports therapist, if doctors don't appeal to you.

Really, though, if resting it with only light exercise doesn't do the trick after a couple of weeks then get it checked out. Just to be on the safe side.

That's your money hand, after all. Don't want anything to happen to it.
it's a big sexy party
Rockin yo face off!!!
Country+Rap=Crap
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by EJD
Guitarists aren't like other men. We are awesome