Page 1 of 2
Hey everyone!

I've been playing guitar about a year... and from what people have told me, I've come on very fast in this year.

Now, a "friend" at school has been playing for about three years, probably four now. I was told this morning that he said to A LOAD of people in the social area that he "Doesn't think I'm a good guitarist at all".

To be honest with you, I reckon he's abit like... jealous of things.
But why are guitarists so bitchy about like... how good or not someone is?
It's the same in everything. If your good at something and someone else is they will talk you down.
Because so many are wanna bes and jealous wanks.
Quote by crazy8rgood

Oh, look at those naughty waffles and their banana's...

*fapfapfapfapfap*

(if this is against the rules, I'll take it down.)
Quote by Da Squiz
Because so many are wanna bes and jealous wanks.

QFT

I think guitarists get jealous when they're not the only ones in the area that can show off their skills anymore. Same with just about any other skill.
if you're gonna be a puss and complain about the competition, then go play bass.
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112
Iommi has work done to it.

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
Some guitarists are just self-conscious and become jealous, I guess. That's how I see it, anyway. Just don't mind him, if you are good then you are good, the proof will show when you play.
S T R A W B E R R I E S
<333

sex

Strawberries
Quote by FortuneFaded
i think thats just your friend.

Hmm, maybe.. But there are other guitarists in my school that have tried to "talk me down"... Maybe I should take a hint by now :P But everybody else says I'm good, know what I mean?

I always try to praise others, as I can remember how it is when you start out playing guitar, not put them down.

Edit:
Quote by idahoimmortal
if you're gonna be a puss and complain about the competition, then go play bass.

I wasn't really complaning. I was just asking why people are so immature about things like this.. And so far I've got very mature comments back.
Last edited by The Gore Child at Jan 15, 2009,
Quote by idahoimmortal

HAHAHA! This man deserves a high 5
I know exactly what you're talking about. There's very few guitarists in my school, but of what there is of them, they're very annoying. One of them, who is a friend, he just walked up to me and said "I'm better than you."

I just thought to myself "Coming from a guy who has been playing for two years and point blank REFUSES to play anything but covers in his band, that's pretty silly."

Myself, I've been playing for six years, I'm not in a band, but I write my own material for when I find/form one. To me, it just seems that most guitarists need to pull other guitarists down to make themselves feel better about their own skills. It seems like a jealousy thing to me.

On the other hand, a lot of guitarists, such as over 95% of people here on UG, just concentrate on improving their own guitar playing abilities, and don't feel the need to pull everyone down.
Quote by marko'd
HAHAHA! This man deserves a high night

i didn't change the post. at all.
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112
Iommi has work done to it.

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
we're all naturally bitchy. we wanna be the best, and if we know we're not then we try to put other people down. ignore him he's just jealous probably.
Its funny guitar and school...its like a fashion, and then the few people whose been playing for about 4 years have to deal with the one year people.
They are always self assured
people tell them they are progressing greatly
and they think they got some higher talent or something,
Great for them, 2 years between guitarists isnt alot, and one may be playing death metal great while another can play clean or maybe compose songs. But it doesnt really matter your supposed to be playing guitar for yourself in your own style, and well obviously showing off and getting chicks, but stop the stupid ****ing competition bull****, its a freakin musical instrument not a rugby ball.
well maybe the people that are telling you that your progressing dont really know anything about guitar? theres this kid that swears im a guitar god but it kind of gets me mad cause he's serious when he says all that bs, but to me it sounds like an insult, cause i can name 5 people i know who are better than me at guitar.
I can't say I disagree with you. Every guitarist (except me) is a b!itch..
And maybe everyone else in the Pit, so as to avoid controversy.
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.

Quote by zwound
Win

Quote by __Pent__

^^Too bad I can't do this in real life
Quote by Dempsey68
we're all naturally bitchy. we wanna be the (very) best, and if we know we're not then we try to put other people down. ignore him he's just jealous probably.

but no one ever was....

on topic, i agree with everyone else in the thread. it is human nature to be competitive, and whenever someone senses that they have an able-competitor, they react in ways to make themselves appear better.
maybe you're not as good as them and they're talking you down for a reason. It doesn't make it right, but that's how it is. if people who don't play guitar say you're good it doesn't really mean fa to tell you the truth
He obviously doesn't care about the emotional value of what he's playing. Tell him not to be a stuck up wank and start playing guitar because it makes him happy not because he can talk other musicians down and base everything off how much skill someone has.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
I only bitch when people make some guitarist out better than they should be. Like this one guy I knew was good I'm not going to lie, but my friends made him out to be this guitar god (which he wasn't)... So I pointed out all his flaws (his biggest being he had no stage presnce even playing simple riffs.)
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
Perhaps you actually suck.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
just some people.. they usually have a small penis=P

i only say someone sucks at guitar if they only do it to be cool and never actually practice. its easy to tell the people that are like that. thats more out of lack of respect than anything though. i respect people who genuially play for the music no matter how good they are
Quote by yo_peh
i love you!
have cookie

Quote by RocksAwakening5
^^^ So much win, omg.
Two things you shouldn't say in this life,

1) The N word to a black guy
2) How good are you in guitar, because there's always a bunch of people better than you, waiting you to say that I'M GOOD and then they shred n tap and your heart is broken...suicide.
NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO
I AM KEWLER THAN YOU.

YES YOU!!!
If the only people that tell you that you suck are guitarist the problem might be that you actually suck. Non-guitarists are generally impressed by anyone playing a song they know. Of course I don't know your specific situation so I'm just making assumptions.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
i thought TS wanted to be a musician....

+1 bass jokes!
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
but no one ever was....

AS no one ever was, dude.
Quote by cr4ni0
AS no one ever was, dude.

i thought it was "like no one ever was"

edit: just went and listened to it, i cant tell
Quote by yo_peh
i love you!
have cookie

Quote by RocksAwakening5
^^^ So much win, omg.
Last edited by risetofight at Jan 15, 2009,
Quote by risetofight
i thought it was "like no one ever was"

edit: just went and listened to it, i cant tell

i figured i had to alter the first line anyways, so might as well change the second.

yeah, and i wouldnt let it bother you TS....the guy has an ego, and there is nothing you can do about that.
Thing is, he is definately better than me. He's been playing 4 years to my 1. Anytime anybody has asked me what I think about him, I've said he's a great guitarist. Just seems silly that he'd be saying derogatory things about me when all I've done is almost... bigged him up I guess.
You have to take into context WHO is saying WHAT. When local guys tell me that I'm good, I don't particularly listen... if they say 'Hey, you suck', then I don't listen, either.... but if radio personel, label people, music teachers and the like start telling you either of those things, you had better listen and take a cue from what they say! Laymen who know nothing of music make bad judges - as do people with no clout/experience in the field, either - and that INCLUDES your friends, as well as yourself. Your friends don't know the difference between good and bad, because they aren't musicians - just like you can't say 'hey, I'm good', because you lack the experience to actually KNOW that.
Ah, I get what you're saying SoulTrip... But most of my friends are musicians. I'm not saying "Oooh, I'm fantastic, and some newb says he's better" he is better... I'm just getting at the fact he shouldn't have to put me down. My guitar teacher says I progress really well, and my musician friends say I've got a good ear for music.

I get the whole like... New kid on the block idea, like he almost sees me as a threat?
Yes, I sympathise. Some douchebag told everyone I 'only knew one song' when I was at school because they saw me (was doing guitar lessons at the time) practising the song a few times.

That's how you learn something for christ sakes!

Then again, that was coming from someone who played nothing but sodding Greenday.
Quote by frusciante_man1
cakemonster..you are truly my hero
HONK
Quote by DeSean
HONK!I like your cake.
Quote by olif8
And Cakeface, why didn't you sig my

HONK!

from that other thread?

Quote by LordBishek

I can't stand it any longer.

HONK