8 21%
MXR M182 El Grande Bass Fuzz Pedal
8 21%
Dunlop Crybaby 105Q Bass Wah Pedal
8 21%
Other (Under $150)
8 21%
Voters: 38.
I got $150 for my birthday and I'm lookin to buy a pedal to spice up my playing. I know for a fact that I want either a wah or a fuzz pedal. If you choose "other", then please explain or recommend a pedal. Thanks!
Last edited by ccmetz2020 at Jan 15, 2009,
If you dont know what you want, you dont need a pedal.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by ccmetz2020
If you choose "other", then please explain or recommend a pedal. Thanks!

WTF?! are u so lazy u I people to think for you :S Go figure out yourself dumbass
Quote by MorbidBeliever
WTF?! are u so lazy u I people to think for you :S Go figure out yourself dumbass

If you aren't interested in helping people, you might as well just get off the forums because this is the reason people come here. I guarantee that every single forum question posed by someone can be answered on google, but instead people like to come here and have someone help them through different suggestions. It's nice to converse with a real person about something you are looking to buy. I already knew that someone was going to say: "If you don't know what you want, you don't need it" because that is the current motto of the bass forum about pedals. If people want to post useless comments, then don't post please. The only people I want posting are the ones who maybe want to help out. Enough said.
I love my bootzilla, but the sweep of the wah is super narrow (though it does have a switch to choose between three frequency ranges) and the fuzz in not at all dynamic, it does one, over-the-top thing very well IMO.

...but the eyes light up when you step on it, and it glows in the dark. Who really cares what it sounds like?
Ok my new thread will be:

Hey people I want a new pedal! Check all the brands and tell me the coolest ones cos i'm to lazy to check some reviews of even open the brands sites...
Fyi, the four I have in the poll are ones that I like because I read their reviews and researched them. I put an "other" option in just in case someone wanted to recommend a different one. Sorry, but so far all of your points have been invalid.
Right go try them all straight away, my view on one pedal could be completly different from yours. I voted for the el grande fuzz.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by MorbidBeliever
Ok my new thread will be:

Hey people I want a new pedal! Check all the brands and tell me the coolest ones cos i'm to lazy to check some reviews of even open the brands sites...

Dude, don't be a dick. He gave some options, and he wants some opinions on them. But if he didn't put an "Other" option, someone would have told him to put one in. Tone down the ego a bit.

Anyways, I've heard good things about the MXR Blowtorch, and if I had to pick one of the four, I'd try that one out first and spend a while experimenting with it to see if it was what I needed.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
the blow torch is nice i have one and no matter how much i put the gain on its still articulate it impresses me a fair bit. I wouldn't get the el grande fuzz but thats cause i have the blow torch and i couldn't play bass with out some type of wah its very big part of my sound but i don't think dunlop makes a good bass wah maybe check out the ebs wah or the rocktron bass wah i think both of those top the dunlop one.
Keep On Keepen' On
The Ibanez Weeping Demon is very good as well. I am currently trying to convince myself I do not need one, not matter how much I want one.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I played it on the cheap and bought a Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz, I wouldn't recommend it, I voted for the Blowtorch because after research and playing with a few it was the one I wanted but I decided the pricing was too high for me at the time in UK, don't know how much it is in America.
You can notice the difference, though they do produce different fuzz sounds, I think its more about what type of fuzz you want, some cut out the low end, others don't, but that might be the sound you want to go for, i don't know.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
Look at the sig!

Seriously consider getting the Earthbound Supercollider. It causes me to GAS more than a fat kid after burrito night
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
I've also been looking at the Bass Big Muff Pi and the mxr el grande bass fuzz more closely. Could I get a pretty decent muse fuzz from one of these pedals? It turns out that guitar center didn't have any fuzz pedals for me to try out so I'll have to order one online. I've been looking at vids of those two pedals on youtube, but I wanted to know what you guys think of these two.
fuzz is more useful.

bass Pi would be very useful.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
fuzz is more useful.

bass Pi would be very useful.

Sorry, but are you saying the el grande seems better than the bass pi? Ahh I hate these hard decisions!
I was also wondering what people thought of the mxr blowtorch compared to the mxr el grande. Is the blowtorch worth an extra $40 to get a muse-ish fuzz sound?
Quote by ccmetz2020
I was also wondering what people thought of the mxr blowtorch compared to the mxr el grande. Is the blowtorch worth an extra $40 to get a muse-ish fuzz sound?

yes.

later, you would need a synth to completely perfect it, but the Blowtorch gets the synth+fuzz sound without a synth. somewhat.

so as long as you aren't too aggressively Musey, you're saving money. if you are, go with the Pi.

also, bassfuzz.com. really.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

^ this. The two best fuzzes to achieve Chris's sound are the blowtorch (which is relatively inexpensive and readily available) and the Zvex Wooly Mammoth (which is the pedal he uses, although it is quite expensive and slightly harder to get your hands on)
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
I have a blowtorch...don't like it all that much...

I'd sell it to you...
i suggest the metal muff or the Q-tron, they are my two favs and i use them constantly when i feel like being Bootsy
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Does anyone have any experience with the bass big muff pi and the mxr blowtorch? How would you compare them? I'm going to order a pedal online today, so I'm just making sure I get the most for my money.
Quote by ccmetz2020
Does anyone have any experience with the bass big muff pi and the mxr blowtorch? How would you compare them? I'm going to order a pedal online today, so I'm just making sure I get the most for my money.

I've never been a muff fan, but I found the blowtorch considerably more ranged and much more articulate.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Blowtorch is good, but I was attempting to get a Cliff/Wolstenholme sound out of it and I failed miserably...
Could it still get a decent sound for playing muse songs because I don't want to be exactly like Wolstenholme, I just want a cool fuzz sound.
Yeah, it definitely fuzzes things up. I paired it with my Snarling Dawg Bawl Buster Wah and it worked out okay. Wasn't exactly what I was looking for, though. And the fact that if you don't have an 18 volt adapter means it burns through two 9 volt batteries like hot cakes.
Alright well I just took the plunge and ordered the mxr blowtorch. The versatility of the 3-band eq really caught my eye. I can't wait for it to get here! Thanks everyone for helping me decide on a pedal. The only downfall that I see with this pedal is the 18 volts that it uses. Oh well, I'm sure I'll love it!
just get the 18 volt adapter and it'll be all good but u made a good choice in pedal
Keep On Keepen' On