On a fretboard are the notes...
A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, then back to A an octave higher?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Yes. whatever string you're playing, it starts from that note and then on the 12th fret it starts all over again but an octave higer. you got it!
Quote by heminder
C# = Db etc

The funny b im assuming.

What is the difference between C# and Db?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51

What is the difference between C# and Db?

Nothing and everything.

Technically, they are the same tone. But they are used in different key signatures so they are applied in different ways. The "how" of how it's applied is pretty high up the music theory ladder. A rung I haven't stepped on yet.
Quote by heminder
C# = Db etc

On a guitar, yes. On fretless instruments, no. On fretless instruments (violin, fretless bass etc.) Db is a bit higher than C#.
Quote by rhettro
Nothing and everything.

Technically, they are the same tone. But they are used in different key signatures so they are applied in different ways. The "how" of how it's applied is pretty high up the music theory ladder. A rung I haven't stepped on yet.

They're not applied in a different way. They're played exactly the same, they're just written down differently depending on the key, when you're writing music on paper.

EDIT: I have also discovered that for me personally the easiest way to remember the notes on a guitar is to take the A note, remember every place it appears on the guitar. Repeat for B,C,D,E,F,G.....Then you can fill in the gaps with accidentals. It worked for me!
Last edited by Ikonoklast at Jan 16, 2009,
sharps can be used to accending..flats can be used for decending..u can use either one u like...

u only use both for diotonic scales and thats because u cant use the same note twice if im not mistaking..so instead of C, C# it would be C, Db.

but you shouldnt worry about that learn all the notes frist...

and ya know that example you showed is also the chromatic scale!!!!
Quote by Ikonoklast
They're not applied in a different way. They're played exactly the same, they're just written down differently depending on the key, when you're writing music on paper.

By applied I mean used in a diffent key signature, thus the grouping of notes would be different.