So I'm seriously getting back into playing (been a working DJ for a while) and I've got a $3k budget. I'll be playing a wide variety of rock w/ and emphasis on metal from the 80's to now.

So far I'm digging Engl amps. The dream setup at the moment is an Engl Special Edition 6l6 w/ a ISP noise gate, and a 84' Gibson Explorer Reissue (which I can't find anywhere). I'd consider S. Duncan Blackouts for the thing.

Based on this info maybe people can steer me closer to my budget.

Explorer: http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBDS84

Engl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12BapNutN7U&feature=related
http://www.engl-amps.com/index3.html
Last edited by illumineart at Jan 15, 2009,
yeah, the engl would be a good amp, how far over budget are you? will you go used?
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Well the Engl SE is 4k and the Explorer new is 1300 ish (if I could find it new). I'm open to the Firebal / Powerbal / Savage 120 Engl's.

Used is a definite possibility if I can find stuff in decent condition and find a good source for used instruments etc.

Thanks for the reply.
Why are you buying a gibson?
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
Why are you buying a gibson?

I'm just digging that specific guitar. I'm open to Jackson / ESP / Ibanez / Dean etc. That 84 reissue w/ the EMG pickups is sexy and good for the style of music I'm into. That being said I can't find it anywhere so please make some suggestions.
why wouldn't he?

get your engl used it'll be 6 or 700 less get the Gibby used it'll be 300 less, thats still way over budget but if thats what you want.

I would look into Used Mesa Mark IV's in a couple weeks (they're gonna go down alot) and maybe rectos

EDIT: look at Schecters and Ibanez's
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Jan 15, 2009,
Yeah, I've played on Mesa's ( dual / tripple recs )and they aren't quite as versatile in their tonality as the Engl's. This may have changed w/ the newer amps? They always seemed muddy / dark to me which for certain things was good.

Outside of CList / Ebay are there any other good places to check for used instruments?
try out the Mark IV it's a great amp, maybe a roadking
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
That Roadking II is probably the best sounding Mesa I've listened to. I'll definitely do a side by side comparison w/ the Engls.

I'm checking out the ESP Eclipse II / EC 1000 guitars which seem pretty solid.

Does anyone have any opinions on SDuncan Blackout pickups?
the blackouts are nice if you're into high gain stuff, I like em more than EMGs atleast.

the EC1000 is a nice enough guitar if you like les pauls with out the weight. alos look at musicgoround
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
would look into Used Mesa Mark IV's in a couple weeks (they're gonna go down alot) and maybe recto's

Why is this? And is this going to be in england too?
I would think so. the Mark V is coming out so I'm sure the Mark IV's are gonna go way down
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
It'll be great
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era