Just wondering, can we record all the drums through one mic, or would we have to mic each individual drum?
you can do it with one mic, but you'll get much better recordings with seperate ones.

not nessecarily a sepeate mic for each drum/cymbal, but try to see if you can borrow another couple of mics/mixer, at least
Most of the time I've recorded they've miced bass, snare, and each tom. Then added one or two overheads for symbols.
Oh. We can't even afford our vocals mic right now, so there goes recording...... Hopefully, at some point, we'll be able to afford this, but even that is out of the question for now..
I do it with 5, but I'd have 8 if I could afford it.

2 overhead condensers
1 on the snare
1 behind the kick
1 for the toms

ideally I'd have one for each tom, and one above and one below the snare.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by lockedandlogan
Most of the time I've recorded they've miced bass, snare, and each tom. Then added one or two overheads for symbols.

Those must be pretty rare. I have never seen a drummer with symbols.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by nebiru

AHHHHHH! LANGUAGE NAZI'S!!!! HIDE THE LANGUAGE JEWS!!1!
Ideally try a mic on each drum , 2 overheads (bout 1-2 feet above cymbal line), 1 mic on the hi-hat and a kick drum mic.

Overall probably:

Kick
Snare
Tom
Tom
Floor Tom
Hi-hat
Overhead
Overhead

if you have that many mics

I tend to merge the overheads, i.e. have the overheads hanging so they can pick up the toms too.

Hope this helps
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Everyone is trying a comeback now. Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage, and now bin Laden? Come on. Give it a rest..

haha
You can do it with one, but it'll sound bad.

I like to do it with 1 on the kick, 2 on the snare (top and bottom), one on each tom and 2 overheads (pointed in the right way so that they don't phase). Maybe 2 room mics and an extra mic to pick up all of it that's overdriven a bit (but not to tape) to give a beefier sound when its needed.
Quote by nebiru

This is my not giving a **** that I used the wrong "cymbals", because EVERYONE knew what I meant.
you can record through one mic but it wont sound as good as recording through a number of mics.