hey all,

i recently have purchased an epiphone les paul standard. the low e, a and d strings buzz pretty bad on all frets up to the 12th fret i have fiddled with the action but no luck any help please ?
don't fiddle with the action if you don't know what your doing, it could ruin the guitar. bring the guitar into to a local music store and get a set up
Lol Epiphone.

Anyway, try raising the bridge (assuming it's a tune-o-matic)

If not that then I wouldn't exactly suggest messing with the truss rod but that might be the only option.. unless the frets are just too high
Quote by Ekofu
Lol Epiphone.

Anyway, try raising the bridge (assuming it's a tune-o-matic)

If not that then I wouldn't exactly suggest messing with the truss rod but that might be the only option.. unless the frets are just too high

STFU

TS; you're best off bringing it to a guitar tech to do if you want it done professionally and properly without mucking up your guitar.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Well being a student its hard to purchase a gibson, and it seems ok.... well it actually it buzzes its only a day old worth taking it back ? or anything else i can do ?
take it back and take another one
...you should be able to do That, huh?
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
I guess if its the only cure, was hoping there was omthing i could do to sort it.
a guitar tech will do the same as akofu said.

if you look at your fretboard from the side, and pluck a string, youll see it vibrate. it works best in the dark, with a lamp. idk why, but you can see it best that way. anyways, if the action (string height) is too low, the string will hit the frets. youd see it happen. if its an open string being strummed, the string would most likely hit around the 5th or 6th fret.

if the action is too low...there are a few things that might be wrong. fret height, which is usually not the problem, or nut/bridge height. a tunomatic bridge is easy to adjust, and self explanitory, but only do it with loose strings. raising it will make more string tension. the nut cant be made higher, only smaller. and thats a pain in itself. i wouldnt recommend doing that. take it to a luthier/guitar tech if bridge adjustment doesnt work.

another recommendation i have is getting thinner strings. ive noticed that the thicker strings dont need to be as tight to produce the same notes. to be tuned, they are looser. loose strings are great for vibrato, but its asking for fret buzz. i actually have tested that many a time....i intentionally have my strings looser than most people, ann can bend a note high as hell without any effort.

good luck.
dunno, over here across the pond, theyd often check it out for you, give an estimate. a seasoned veteran can spot the problem quickly.

id try adjusting the bridge.
is the buzz transmitting thru the amp?

click the green link in my sig and measure the neck's relief.
explained in first post.

then post back here.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
If you can still take it back, I would do that. Exchange it, but make sure to play the one you get first. There can be four of the same model guitars in a store, while only two of them play nicely...
Quote by speeddemon93
If you can still take it back, I would do that. Exchange it, but make sure to play the one you get first. There can be four of the same model guitars in a store, while only two of them play nicely...

bah - most new guitars will benifit from proper setup, just get it setup

I had a new mex teli that i liked, but the intonation was all jacked -

plays great now after setup
hey guys,

thanks for the reply ive gone through the relief info earlier and adjusted accordingly also i have checked to see if the frets are level, which they all seem to be ? im very confused :S..
well, i didnt say to adjust anything.

i said to measure and repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I am now free of the epiphone played all the others in the store and they all buzz on the low e, a and d strings......... thank god i got a refund!
you're such a tool.

just because a few guitars at the shop needed a minor setup, and some kid laughed at you for having an epi, that's no reason to think they suck.

epiphones are pretty good for the money.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

yeah, kinda sad that he rid it that quickly, but oh well. My Epi had some wicked buzz on the 12th fret when I lowered the action after getting it from factory. It needed the fret reworked a tad, but I love the guitar so it was worth it to me.
Man I wouldn't give up on a guitar like that, I just meant that maybe there was one in the store that was set up better...