I don't really get tube amps. I am thinking of upgrading my Line 6 Spider III to a kind of tube amp, a stack is a must ... mainly because they look awesome, but also because I will be playing a fair few gigs (inside and outside) to a maximum of 500, my rhythm guitarist uses a Marshall MG100HDFX (despite the bad reputation I do like this) and he tends to have it on full volume and I will need to be heard over him, seeing as I play all the catchy bits to our songs. So anyway, I have 500 pounds (700 dollars roughly) and I want to buy a stack, preferably tube but I have no idea what to buy. I have been asking around and other people have been giving me suggestions that are way out of my price range.

My influences: HIM (favourite band), Sex Pistols, Kill Hannah, Ramones, Misfits, Sum 41, Metallica, Green Day, Blink 182, Iron Maiden, Guns N Roses.

My guitars are all Gibson and Epiphone Les Pauls, but my favourite by far is definatley my Gibson Les Paul Junior Billie Joe Armstrong; it is my main live guitar.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

EDIT: I live in the UK if this information is important.
Last edited by SkinnyVampire at Jan 15, 2009,
what music will you be playing at the gigs? you want some sort of Marshall fat distortion tone i suppose?
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
you can either, buy a crappy stack with that money. Or get a used tube combo that will sound 10 times better.

Its your choice.
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
definately a marshall or similar amp.

try to find a used JCM900 for the type of money you got youll have no problem finding one on ebay.

Also try to look for the 212 combo version.
There is ABSOLUTELY no need to have a stack, or even a half stack. Buying an amp because it's a stack is a bad idea. A tube combo designed for anything more than recording or the bedroom will get PLENTY loud enough for any gigs under 1000 peopleish.

For 500 pounds you could probably get a used Marshall JCM800. That's my suggestion.
It is a head, so go figure. I'd still reccomend it if it were a combo, though.
Quote by Zeds.Ded
what music will you be playing at the gigs? you want some sort of Marshall fat distortion tone i suppose?

pop-punk/ punk but we always close it with a metallica cover of some kind
Quote by woodsballplayer
you can either, buy a crappy stack with that money. Or get a used tube combo that will sound 10 times better.

Its your choice.

okay, i will consider this .... but, can combo amps be run through cabinets?
Peavey Valveking head (used) and used cab = less than 700 bucks. If you are smart, you can coax just about any sound out of the VK.
Go on ebay and search for a used JCM 800 combo. Here in England we can get old Marshall's quite cheap and this one can handle a fair amount of distortion. The only downside of getting this is that it's not a stack so you won't look cool and people will hate your band because you don't play through a stack, and it'll probably still be too loud for everything that you need it for. Seriously, a 100 watt valve combo is deafeningly loud.
Quote by Les Paul Ell
Go on ebay and search for a used JCM 800 combo. Here in England we can get old Marshall's quite cheap and this one can handle a fair amount of distortion. The only downside of getting this is that it's not a stack so you won't look cool and people will hate your band because you don't play through a stack, and it'll probably still be too loud for everything that you need it for. Seriously, a 100 watt valve combo is deafeningly loud.

I don't a JCM800 would that good for what he wants, try an orange rocker 30 or something.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
I don't a JCM800 would that good for what he wants, try an orange rocker 30 or something.

JCM800 would be perfect for what he wants, what are you on about?
It might not stretch to metallica on its own, but that's about the only thing on his list it's not great for.
First of all, I hope your band wears earplugs. A 100 watt amp is loud, tube or not. Turning it up all the way must sound awful... clipping the power amp will sound ear piercing.

I would recommend the JCM800 or the Orange, and make sure you get a good overdrive pedal as well.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
The orange is over budget, but look for a used one. I own it and it will own your bandmate's MG.
Okay, I am going to buy a JCM or a kind of Marshall tube combo, and then get a cabinet to play it through when I have enough money afterwards
Yeah, the Orange Rocker that Christophe recommended over the JCM 800 would probably be better for you, you should try one out. But they are quite expensive and may cost a little bit too much over your budget. Search ebay for old Marshalls though and you should find something good. JCM 900's might also suit you as they have heavier distortion.

Quote by SkinnyVampire
Okay, I am going to buy a JCM or a kind of Marshall tube combo, and then get a cabinet to play it through when I have enough money afterwards

Good idea
If it has an external speaker out then you can. Not all combos have them, so check before you buy. (Although like I said not all combos do, the majority of the valve ones do)
Quote by bartdevil_metal
If it has an external speaker out then you can. Not all combos have them, so check before you buy. (Although like I said not all combos do, the majority of the valve ones do)

ok thanks