what is the preferred/common/better method when tapping with the pick hand?

IS it easier to use your fingers or grow out your fingernails (like for finger pickin) and hit the strings with those?
i tap downward with the front of my index or middle finger, if im tapping faster or need to be louder i use the edge of my pick

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
i tap downward with the front of my index or middle finger, if im tapping faster or need to be louder i use the edge of my pick

+1 i do that too
you could shatter you nail, or at least jack it up pretty bad tapping with it
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by Mazzakazza
Finger. Don't use your nails, you'll dig into the fretboard :/

That's what I figured. So you kinda have to pick between finger picking or two hand tapping. I guess you could pick without the nails, I just prefer it with them, easier, sounds better etc.

EDIT: youd have to use it pretty hard to shatter Id imagine, especially if you put clear nail polish on first. Or pink nail polish, whatever floats your boat
Last edited by Kapalen at Jan 15, 2009,
I just use a pick, or, if it's a Van Halen song, my index fingertip. Not the nail. I don't even have nails, really :P
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
i use my finger for the tapping part in the Metallica - One solo, but i use my pick if im improvising with a solo etc.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

That sounds kinda tardish in a way...
Why would you use your nail..?
you know it'd be painful...

You may aswell use the edge of your pick if that's what you're comparing your nail to.
Edge of pick = faster too.

Yeahh with the solo for One - Metallica I use my pick, because its' easier to carry on, instead of pausing to pick up your pick to continue the solo..
I hold my pick between my thumb and middle finger so I tap with my index finger since it isn't very far from the frets. It makes sweeping with taps a breeze
Quote by JELIFISH19
I hold my pick between my thumb and middle finger so I tap with my index finger since it isn't very far from the frets. It makes sweeping with taps a breeze

You must be a Van Halen fan.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by Kapalen
what is the preferred/common/better method when tapping with the pick hand?

IS it easier to use your fingers or grow out your fingernails (like for finger pickin) and hit the strings with those?

No, definitely use your finger pad. When still had my nails, I tried doing it that way, but it was harder to learn, and it tore up my nails. I eventually cut them, partially so I could tap without them getting in the way(I also just didn't use them that much, and they were getting annoying)

EDIT:
That's what I figured. So you kinda have to pick between finger picking or two hand tapping. I guess you could pick without the nails, I just prefer it with them, easier, sounds better etc.

Yeah, thats what I thought for a while after I cut mine, but i found that unless your doing classical, you dont really need the nails, it just takes some getting used to, you have to hold your fingers an entirely different way.
Last edited by speeddemon93 at Jan 15, 2009,
Quote by JELIFISH19
Quote by Justice4AllOne
You must be a Van Halen fan.

he may be, but I can say this
I do the same thing.

I hold my pick between my thumb and middle finger and tap with my index

and for the record

EVH is the 2nd most overrated guitar player
period.

I genuinely hate him.

Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Quote by NaivexLi
he may be, but I can say this
I do the same thing.

I hold my pick between my thumb and middle finger and tap with my index

and for the record

EVH is the 2nd most overrated guitar player
period.

I genuinely hate him.

I don't listen 2 EVH, I also hold my pens like that. Habit I guess