My friend just bought this for $50 so he could restore it (meaning that he wants me to do it because of my higher knowledge of guitar stuff). It looks like a Charvel star but it has some minor differences

First thing I have to say is: what kind of guitar is it? Its made of plywood and that neck isn't original (judging by the 2 sets of holes on it and its too tall for the socket).

Pictures:

And the first batch of parts for it.

Gonna start sanding tomorrow.
Woo, sanding! let the fun begin
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by metalwarrior40
Woo, sanding! let the fun begin

Nah, leave it original.

Not sure why, but it gives off a Hondo vibe to me..
Quote by ethan_hanus
plywood, i would guess its someones failed attempt to make their own guitar. but ifyuo go with it i would leave it orignial, its getto looking.

Failed attempt? You can tell that was professionally done. It seems to just be a cheap korean/chinese knock off from the mid 80s, which is why Hondo came to mind.
Odd pickups, a friend of mine just gave me an old Kay electric with a single humbucker. Never seen 3 adjuster screws before. The body was made out of particle board.... never knew that'd hold up to the string tension. It had really close holes for the neck screws like this thing has.

Eh, my two cents.

I really added nothing here...

Edit: Just noticed that my Kay was made in Korea. I'd tried to look up info on it but came up short. That thing you have does seem to have a little similarity to some of the guits I found through google.
Last edited by vsabinring at Jan 15, 2009,
Do I see no truss rod?
Then maybe you are not starting from the right place. Replace that neck first. Then out with the power saw and think Goth, fantasy or even industrial. Is that a pair of SD's lurking? Could be fun. Not pink, eh?
The truss rod is probably adjusted as the heel.

ETA: Yeah you can see in the first picture. It's difficult to notice at first, but it's there.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by dandadog
Nah, leave it original.

Not sure why, but it gives off a Hondo vibe to me..

The paints not original anymore. It used to be a metallic red but the previous owner painted right over it.

And the truss rod is heel adjustable.
Are you going to do it right up to be a modern guitar or vintage? If your going vintage, sand out the neck pocket and route it deeper so that the neck sits in it nicely. Dowel the holes in the neck heel and redrill them. That neck looks pretty mad (cause it looks vintage )
Make sure you polish that neck up and buff them frets (unless your doing a refret job)
Can't wait to see it finished anyway
Quote by vsabinring
Odd pickups, a friend of mine just gave me an old Kay electric with a single humbucker. Never seen 3 adjuster screws before. The body was made out of particle board.... never knew that'd hold up to the string tension. It had really close holes for the neck screws like this thing has.

Eh, my two cents.

I really added nothing here...

Edit: Just noticed that my Kay was made in Korea. I'd tried to look up info on it but came up short. That thing you have does seem to have a little similarity to some of the guits I found through google.

Hey, does your Kay look anything like the one in my profile?
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.