Ok, so first off, I am an Ibanez man. I started w a squire bass, but I have been using Ibanez and love it. That is not the point of this post though.

I have been reading up a bit on the history of major companies that produce the 4 stringed beauty we call a bass, and I just want a real clarafication of sound and quality relative to price and parent compant. The brands in question are:

Fender and Squire

Gibson and Epiphone

Warwick and Rockbass

So, I know what the parent companies sound like in relation to each other, but what about their kids.

So, for the price of the smaller brand, such as Squire, how does the sound, tone, and quality compare to uts parent company. I have learned my lesson w the Epi T-Bird, so we dont need to include it in this discussion. So, how does rockbass compare to warwick? Epi to Gibson??? And I want details. I don't ever plan on owning any of them, I just want to understand what I am missing, and how much price and name factor in versus quality. SO take your best shot UGers.
well, models aside, are you ever going to really find a squire better then a fender? or an epi that can toast a gibson for a good price, as well as quality and tone? cuz i know that epi used to be good back like 80 years ago lol, but now.....
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'm not sure about epi and gibson.

To my ears and hands, Squiers are essentially Fenders but not as good. May not sound like much, but there is a real difference in quality.

And Rockbass and Warwick... well, they're pretty much planets apart.

lol planets...so basically buying a rockbass, you arent really even buying a warwick? :-D
Lower quality in materials used and production standards. So the sound is equally unrefined and ****ty. There's less of a difference between high end Epiphones and low end Gibsons, but I find there's a big difference between, say, the Squire Standard P-bass and the Fender Standard P-bass.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
and if you guys know a thread that already answers this, then ill just go there. lol. save you all some time.
its all specific models i think. where 90 percent of fender basses sound better then squires and a 100 percent of warwicks sound better then rockbass its bout 50/50 with gibson n epiphone cause gibson only makes 3 basses and ones a signature for example i would buy an epiphone sg bass over a gibson any day its just better in alot of ways even tho i don't know why id buy either. then low end fenders get topped by the odd high end squire alot of people say the VM models are the closest you can get tho. I'm excited to see the stringray by music man line put up against the actual music man basses. I just think there will still be alot of quality in the stringray models as well as alot of name confusion
Keep On Keepen' On
Quote by 2112pk
mim fender p << CV squire P
mim fender p > CV squier p
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Quote by FenderAmpeg93
mim fender p > CV squier p

all smilie fighting aside, i've tryed both and the squire P came out on top in both tone playability.

also placid blue/blueboy >> MIM color opitions
The ONLY thing I can give you an educated opinion on is Squier to Fender…

First up is the Squier:
I own the basic Squier Affinity Jazz Bass. I got it in that jump start pack deal. First off, I would like to say that the neck plays great, just about like a real Jazz. Of course, There are quality differences, but as far as sound goes, they're pretty close. They aren't perfect by any means, especially when you try to turn the highs up. It's really not a... well... what I call a "modern" sounding bass. It doesn't sound good with that high "pang" thrown in. But, if you like to play with your bass set low, putting out nice, smooth, even notes with lots of push, then a Squier really won't do you wrong.

Compared to Fender:
One of my good friends has a Fender Jazz bass. It's the same color, and sometimes I honestly think that if it wasn't for the label on the headstock, someone could swap them out and I wouldn't know the difference. Now, there are some quality differences, as I said earlier, and there are some sound differences, but to be blunt? The differences in quality do not justify the differences in price.

Now, let's clear this up. I DO plan to buy a Fender when I get some cash up (A Jaguar, actually). I'm not saying they're not worth it at all. I'm saying, if you're trying to save some cash, go ahead and grab a Squier. Buy a Squier and save for a better amp. I really think that you’d be better off buying a nicer amp than a Fender over Squier. That's only if you're on a restricted budget though. If you got the cash for both, go right ahead.

A good comparison is seen in cars. A Fender is like an Infinity where a Squier is like a Nissan (or Cadillac and Chevy, if you prefer… I just don’t like Chevys, so I didn’t want to use them&hellip They’re the same company. It’s the same basic deal. One has some more bells and whistles, and is put together a little better with some better materials. But the other one will get you where you want to go and look just fine doing it. May not be quite as fast, or quite as sharp, but it will definitely get you where you’re goin.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Last edited by Tone Deaf at Jan 15, 2009,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
And Rockbass and Warwick... well, they're pretty much planets apart.

Delirium has pretty much hit the nail on the head here. Warwick's are known for the characteristic growl and tone.

Rockbass's are very different basses. They share the same (relative) shape as their Warwick counter parts, but they are generally made out of different woods, and for the most part, will sound and play like a mid-ranged fender bass.
cool guys. thanks for the input. ive been wondering this since day one of owning a bass lol.
Quote by remx15
ooooo...another question:

OLP and Musicman? How are those?

They're so good that Ernie Ball cancelled the contract with them!

"Sterling by Musicman" is their new "lower priced" range of guitars and basses
Quote by remx15
lol, so consider buying one? lol. how is sterling?

If you're going for an OLP, get the newest ones. The MM 32 and the MM22.

The Sterling (By Musicman) aren't out yet, should be out in summer 09 I believe.

PS - Having to type "Sterling by Musicman" already annoys me, incase people think i'm talking about a MusicMan Sterling. What a bad choice of name.

EDIT ; And there's also the FleaBass coming out soon aswell.

http://www.fleabass.com/
Last edited by Micehorns at Jan 28, 2009,
If you buy a gibson or fender, it will increase in value as the years go by. Squires and epiphones become worth less.

So just from an investment stand point, its better to get a gibson or fender.
Does being successful truly make you a sell out? Can't you do your own original music and be successful because of it?
Quote by remx15
well, models aside, are you ever going to really find a squire better then a fender? or an epi that can toast a gibson for a good price, as well as quality and tone? cuz i know that epi used to be good back like 80 years ago lol, but now.....

80 years ago, epiphone wasn't around.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
The original Japanese Squiers were hard to tell from the US version and are much sought after today
The Epiphone was a brand in it's own right and very well respected in the 60s especialy the Rivoli semi accoustic Bass which far outsold it's Gibson counterpart.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Gibson makes the same crappy basses as Epiphone, just slightly less crappily. At least Epiphone makes the Embassy...

Squier will get you pretty much the same sound as Fender, especially with a pickup swap. However the build quality is dodgy... I had to do a lot of work on my VM to get her up to spec.

Rockbass is of decent quality, but has a totally different sound and feel from Warwick... Warwick's "motto" is "The Sound of Wood", because they use a lot of exotic woods like wenge and bubinga. Not so for Rockbass, which results in a very different instrument.
Squier VM Fretless Jazz
Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5
Ashdown MAG 300 210
Quote by Sonis3
80 years ago, epiphone wasn't around.

the epiphone company is dated back to the 1870's they made fiddles lutes and lioutos in turkey then moved to new york in 1903, they originally started making guitars in 1928 and they were actually rivaling gibson at the time until the 1950's when a strike essentially shut them down leading to gibson to buy them and now that all leads to the mighty empire that is gibson and epiphone
Keep On Keepen' On
Quote by JessyB96
the epiphone company is dated back to the 1870's they made fiddles lutes and lioutos in turkey then moved to new york in 1903, they originally started making guitars in 1928 and they were actually rivaling gibson at the time until the 1950's when a strike essentially shut them down leading to gibson to buy them and now that all leads to the mighty empire that is gibson and epiphone

stupid commies always making these mega corporations.

>>

<<

Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by TJ1991
Rockbass > Warwick
Gibson > Epiphone
MY Squier > Mex Fenders

warwick ash vette gets that sound better than the Warwicks do. the bubinga and ovankgol, not as much on the ashy tone but the Ashvette does it really well.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
Lesson 2: friends don't let friends buy Gibson/Epiphone basses.

So true!
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
Quote by TJ1991
Warwick > Rockbass
Gibson > Epiphone
MY Squier > Mex Fenders

Fixed?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115