Hello everyone! I've heard it's the low end of sounds, not high, that damage your amp. So, would playing my Digitech Whammy 1 Oct down damage my amp?

Cheers!
do you honestly think digitech would produce a world famous product that actually damages your amp?
Ha ha, course not... But like... plugging a bass into an amp for long periods of time will damage it. Just wondered if turning my guitar an octave or two down (to sound like a bass, think they're only tuned an octave lower than a guitar - not sure though) would damage the amp.

Am I pretty safe then? Loving the whammy!
There are several reasons playing lower than intended frequencies may damage an amplifier's speaker. Here are two.

If you look at the specifications for speakers, they will list a maximum cone displacement value. A good place to see how this affects a speaker is the Eminence speaker site (www.eminence.com). Use at their "Resources" tab and pick some speaker cabinet.

They warn a designer to put a steep high pass filter (that blocks low frequencies) in the design to prevent excessive cone excursion. In other words, if you drive the speaker at low frequencies with a lot of power you can damage it - by literally ripping the cone at the extremes.

IF your guitar amplifier has not taken that precaution, then playing a bass through it at very high volume levels MIGHT damage it. But playing with high levels of distortion at high volume levels can also do that.

So, how can you tell? Start at clean (no distortion effects) at low volumes without and listen carefully as you crank it up. If the tone or timbre changes either the amplifier or speaker or both are "breaking up". Continued playing like this CAN damage the amplifier and/or the speaker.