So i'm gonna start the prep for a Les Paul build (thread for that will come later in feb hopefully.)

But out of interest does Pear Tree wood make good tone wood?

Thanks for the help
Tom
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
Tone wood is non existent.Or if actually has some kind of effect, it'll be little so go ahead and use it.

/waits for argument saying wood affects tone dramatically.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
^ in an electric? No not really, it doesn't
Hell. Otter has a plywood guitar, that sustains better than his SG.

In acoustic? yeah i can believe that. But i have yet to see it affect an electric guitar dramatically. It might affect like 5% of your tone. That's not enough to justify anything.

EDIT: Your were just being a smartss right? Oops oh well, this will ward off anyone else as well.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Last edited by metalwarrior40 at Jan 15, 2009,
Quote by metalwarrior40
Tone wood is non existent.Or if actually has some kind of effect, it'll be little so go ahead and use it.

/waits for argument saying wood affects tone dramatically.

It does affect it, but not DRAMATICALLY. I'd say it colors the tone a little...
It's undeniable that the wood's resonant characteristics affect the tone, as an LP made out of maple was, according to Ted Mccarty (Pres. of gibson from around 1946 to 1965), "too shrill". This was the same electronic setup as an LP goldtop AFAIK.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Just make sure it isn't knot-ridden.
I dunno how hard or soft the stuff is, but if its soft, be sure to give it a good hard finish,
Quote by metalwarrior40
EDIT: Your were just being a smartss right? Oops oh well, this will ward off anyone else as well.

Hey now you're catching on :p
Search bar!

Although this wood seem to be a rather unique thread, LP Addict asked about this a long time ago.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
its a cheap substitute for ebony, it doesnt dry well, and it warps like a son of a bitch. on ****ty chinese violins, they use it for fretboards and dye it black. its a small tree, very thin, and very curvy/bendy, so its not a good wood to use for something that requires stability. it is quite attractive if you find a good piece though.
ok thanks guys for all the help. and Otter I did use the search bar and all that came up was a bunch of songs in the SW thread and somes guys dream about a pear tree ??!
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas