Ok, hey UG, I have a small problem...
I recently got a band offer to join a band... The problem; I have been offered singer, lead guitar or keyboards... I have been tolf I have an awesome voice, but when I sing I can't play for crap, and vice-versa, but I'm accomplished at guitar AND keyboards so what should I do... thanks ahead of time UG...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
x3.

A lead singer that can also play guitar well is extremely beneficial to many rock band situations (and other genres).
Write a song to practice in your situation. Have it with only vocals (no guitar) and later in the song when you are not singing play the guitar.

Other than that practice singing with chords. It will take a LOT of practice but I'm sure it is definitely worth it. Evolve throughout the positions in your band.
Thanks Ace and all the others... I like your suggestion... and BTW it's a Metal/ Thrash band so yeah...
Quote by theogonia777

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
sing and play keys?
play pads while singing. its not that hard to hold down a chord and sing. you could pick it up quickly. save the solo stuff for when there arn't vocals going. eventually you'll get better and better, then you will be able to play counter melody and sing at the same time.

Good Luck,
-Ryan
Quote by Jared R. Boyd
sing and play keys?
play pads while singing. its not that hard to hold down a chord and sing. you could pick it up quickly. save the solo stuff for when there arn't vocals going. eventually you'll get better and better, then you will be able to play counter melody and sing at the same time.

Good Luck,
-Ryan

This man speaks the truth.
I Myself do background vocals enough while I'm playing my keyboards. And I dig a keyboard/leadsinger.

Alestorm does it with a keytar. Maybe something you should look in to?
no I'm happy with my current instruments; I've got some top of the line stuff so that's fun... just need to learn to sing and be Jordan Rudess or John Petrucci at the same time...
Quote by theogonia777

Quote by Born A Fool
just practice singing and playing the same way you do playing guitar or keys, take it slow, when i was learning "Snow" i got the guitar part dialed then went back and played it slow and sang along to it, and although i havent revved the thing up to perfection it's getting there.

Just take it slow lol
Thx all
Quote by theogonia777

Quote by Born A Fool